6 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2010 4:19 PM by jpw21683

Need advice on Panasonic AG-HMC150 camera format specs

Webshark2000 Level 1

We're looking to upgrade to an HD camera and I was wondering if the Panasonic AG-HMC150 would meet the quality format our client is requesting.  I know its highest bitrate is 21 Mbps, so I'm thinking that it can't, but I wanted to check with the pros here to make sure I'm not missing something.

The client can accpet any of the following:

Quicktime wrapped self-contained DVCPRO HD 100

MPEG2 >35mbits 1080 60i (59.94i)

MXF (.mxf) Op1a wrapped DVCPRO HD 100

P2 MXF file format (.mxf) (On DVD, Hard drive, or Blu-Ray data disk only)

Would the AG-HMC150 be able to meet any of these?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Need advice on Panasonic AG-HMC150 camera format specs
          Eric Addison User Group Manager
          function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Webshark2000 wrote:

We're looking to upgrade to an HD camera and I was wondering if the Panasonic AG-HMC150 would meet the quality format our client is requesting.  I know its highest bitrate is 21 Mbps, so I'm thinking that it can't, but I wanted to check with the pros here to make sure I'm not missing something.

The client can accpet any of the following:

Quicktime wrapped self-contained DVCPRO HD 100

MPEG2 >35mbits 1080 60i (59.94i)

MXF (.mxf) Op1a wrapped DVCPRO HD 100

P2 MXF file format (.mxf) (On DVD, Hard drive, or Blu-Ray data disk only)

Would the AG-HMC150 be able to meet any of these?

Thanks.

It's a great little camera, but I don't think it meets any of these...it doesn't shoot in DVCPRO HD, so it doesn't meet the first, it's highest bit rate is 21mbs (or 24? don't remember) and it records MPEG4 AVCHD so no go on #2, and it doesn't record MXF or to P2...so, I'm thinking it won't cut it for your client. Sorry!

You should look at a Sony EX1R or EX3, or a Panasonic HPX-300 or 370 - those should fit the requirements.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need advice on Panasonic AG-HMC150 camera format specs
            Webshark2000 Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  What about the Panasonic AG-HVX200 or the AG-HPX170?  Would either, or both of those meet these requirements?

Thanks Again.

• 3. Re: Need advice on Panasonic AG-HMC150 camera format specs

I'm not a big Panasonic guy - I shoot with Sony cameras mostly, but I think that those 2 cameras would meet your requirements...they both shoot on P2, and they do shoot in DVCPRO HD. They won't give you a Quicktime file output, but if you're client is needing that then most likely they are editing with FCP and they should be able to ingest the MXF files from the P2 card and FCP's log and transfer utility will convert to a Quicktime.

I mentioned the Panasonic cameras I did (the 300 and 370) because they shoot with the AVC-I codec which is really nice, and they also shoot DVCPRO HD - you have more options with them as opposed the the 200a or 170...but they are all nice cameras.

Good luck!

• 4. Re: Need advice on Panasonic AG-HMC150 camera format specs
                Webshark2000 Level 1

Well, the camera we currently use most often is a Panasonic DVX-100B and I love it.  It's been an excellent camera.  We also have a Sony HVR-V1U that we purchased a few years back and have had nothing but trouble with it.

First the back focus messed up and we had to send it in for repair, then the firewire port quit working.  It's really bad in low light and I've been pretty unsatisified with its image quality.

I have read good reviews about the Sony EX1 and EX3, so I'm still tempted to go Sony again.  I just don't want to get burned a second time.

• 5. Re: Need advice on Panasonic AG-HMC150 camera format specs

Ah...the DVX100B...sweet memories. I've got one of those as well. It's such a great camera - if only the world hadn't gone HD, I'd still be using it on a regular basis.

As for Sony, I've always had good luck with them. My EX3 is working great (although the firewire port did go out on it, but that may be due to a user error), and the images it creates are amazing! I looked long and hard at booth the EX3 and the Panasonic cameras before I bought, but after shooting with both and comparing the images - Sony was the only way to go for me.

I really do like the HMC-150, and would like to get one for small shoots where I don't need the EX3.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

• 6. Re: Need advice on Panasonic AG-HMC150 camera format specs
                    jpw21683

There's a free utility from Panasonic called AVCCAM Viewer (I think you can only download it once you've registered a valid camera) that allows you to convert footage shot on the HMC150 to P2 MXF files.

The QUALITY probably can't match a native P2 camera...but at least they'd be in the desired format.