7 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2010 6:16 AM by Steve Grisetti

HDV Mini DV Player

rtprtp Level 1

Hi All,

I need to buy a mini dv player to use with PE7. I am onl;y interested in capturing HDV footage with my Canon XH-A1. Any suggestions? I am considering buying the Datavideo DN-300, but would like to find something cheaper.

Thanks, Stan

• 1. Re: HDV Mini DV Player
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

For that money, you could almost buy TWO HDV camcorders!

It looks like a good machine. I'm just not sure the advantage of having a standalone player rather than just using an HDV camcorder for your playback.

Sony makes a similar model for a similar price, FWIW.

http://www.videosmith.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=165

They'll both likely give you excellent results.

• 2. Re: HDV Mini DV Player
            the_wine_snob Level 9

The use of decks, is often multi-functional:

Save wear on camera's heads

Allow Capture, while the cameras are on assignment

Allow for the feed to a calibrated, CRT monitor (do not think that PrE can feed the Program Monitor to an external device, but PrPro can)

Decks are often more lenient with tapes from multiple camera makes/models, than other cameras often are

Probably a few dozen reasons, that I have not considered, or even knew about

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: HDV Mini DV Player
              rtprtp Level 1

Hi Steve,

Could you recommend 1 or 2 HDV, MiniDV tape cameras the work well with PE7? I like your idea about buying a camera instead of a deck!

Makes a lot of sense,

Thanks, Stan

• 4. Re: HDV Mini DV Player

The Canon HV series are some of the best HDV camcorders for under $1,000. They usually sell online for between $650-800.

For miniDV, I recommend Sony, which continue to provide the best bang for the buck. A new Sony miniDV can be found for between $250-400. Used (which are often just open boxes, even if the cams themselves have never been used) models can be had for as little as $100 on Amazon and eBay.

Unfortunately, most big box stores (Best Buy, e.g.) no longer sell tape-based camcorders in their stores. But Amazon retailers still sell them.

• 5. Re: HDV Mini DV Player
                  rtprtp Level 1

WOW, those Sony cams sound great for the price. Will they

definetly handle playback of the HDV format I shoot with my Canon XH-A1? Will I lose any quality?

I'm guessing and hoping you are going to say YES and NO.

;-)

• 6. Re: HDV Mini DV Player
                    rtprtp Level 1

Steve, sorry to be a nudge ;-) but can you recommend some cheap Sony

MiniDV "HDV" cameras that I can use to capture "HDV"?

Thanks again!

Stan

• 7. Re: HDV Mini DV Player

MiniDV and HDV are two very different things, rp.

miniDV cams are standard-def cams, and they can be had very cheaply. (Although there are also pro-sumer versions that sell for up to $3,000)

HDV is a tape-based hi-def video format. These cams start at $600.

If you want tape-based hi-definition video, you need an HDV cam -- like the Canon HV series.