3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2009 11:05 PM by deepshar027

Issues for widespread adoption of Flex

hchafi
      Here are the issues that are compelling me not to make the jump 100% into flex for enterprise app development (including large ecommerce sites):

Dial up: most people still use this type of connection, the start up time may be too much

Flash 9 support: it didn't work seemlessly for me, I had to download the uninstaller to get rid of flash 8 first, I cannot expect my users to go through that, this needs to be fixed ASAP.

Mobile support: lots of web enabled phone out there, a lot more on the way, what will be the support there?

Google searchability: Google can't crawl you, that is a big loss.

Bookmarkability: Is there a solution for this, how can I bookmark a flex product page or send that link to a friend of mine?

Could you guys share your thoughts on these issues?
        • 1. Re: Issues for widespread adoption of Flex
          matt_chotin Level 3
          I'm not sure what happened to your player upgrade but it has been working seamlessly for many people. We are currently investigating the mobile space for Flex but I don't have a timeline for when something might be available. Of course our Flash Lite platform is gaining excellent traction in the meantime. SEO is certainly something we think about, but given that Flex is used for building applications much of your content may be available through other means. There is bookmarkability in Flex apps, search some of the blogs for more info.

As far as e-commerce goes I think Flex can fit into certain pieces like a better shopping cart or product configurator or checkout mechanism. I would probably not replace my entire site with a single Flex app.

Matt
          Flex Product Manager
          • 2. Re: Issues for widespread adoption of Flex
            hchafi Level 1
            Thanks for the reply, we are still considering flex as a component of our long term plans. I want to underline the problems I had with flash 9. This happened to me on three different machines, I even felt foolish trying to show one of our advisors the flex store demo, and see it silently fail because I didn't have the right version of the flash player. Installing it didn't help, I had to first download the uninstaller, and then things started working. I tried it both on firefox and ie.
            • 3. Re: Issues for widespread adoption of Flex
              deepshar027

Hi Matt,

I was looking for some answers on this topic and I came across one of your replies.

"As far as e-commerce goes I think Flex can fit into certain pieces like a better shopping cart or product configurator or checkout mechanism. I would probably not replace my entire site with a single Flex app"

This was back in 2006.Do you still hold the same thoughts or do you think now you may want to create your app in flex alone.

I have seen some pretty slick sites developed on flex like Fuze/Verizon Media store etc. I still am not sure if building the whole e-comm website can pose any issues in future.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Deepak