29 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2010 6:33 AM by Bill Lumbergh

HD video editing PC for a beginner

Bill Lumbergh

I have done a fair amount of research through this forum (and orthers) and would like to thank all of you knowledgeable people (special reference is made here to Mr Millaard for his many contributions and very useful guides) for your time and efforts trying to educate newbies like undersigned. Thank you!

So here it goes: I am looking to put a HD video editing machine together and I would appreciate your feedback before I pull the trigger. First some critical info:

Objective:

- editing of at most 40 GB of AVCHD material a time, i.e. manipulate short clips and join them into one big file. Nothing much fancy

- transcode/convert to MPEG4 - H.264(?) and MPEG2 to be burnt/stored/playback on Blu-Ray respectively DVD.

Level:

Amateur/basic

Software:

Thinking of Adobe CS5 and Sony Vegas (Q: kindly advise which of the many Vegas versions). Open to other suggestions. Prefer to also use a program nest to Adobe CS5 that is simple, easy to understand and has a kind interface. Price is no objection.

O/S will be Windows 7 Ultimate (64)

Additional requirements:

- Must fit in my current case, the Lian Li V1200A Plus

- Must be as silent as possible, no overclocking

- Must have SSD bootdisk

Hardware budget:

€ 3,000 - € 4,000 VAT exclusive

Having noted a lot of do's and dont's from the pro's, I have strayed from the path a liitle with the below setup:

Processor: Core i7 930

Proc Cooling:Prolimatech Mega Shadow + Noctua NF P14 FLX

Mb: Gigabite GA-X58A-UD5

Mem: 2x 12 GB Kingston ValueRam Triple Channel 12 GB, PC3-10666, 1333 MHz, 9, Non-ECC (Q:or should I take the Kingston ValueRam Triple Channel 1066Mhz Cas 7, prices are equal)

UTS:Seasonic X-750 750 Watt

Video card: Club3D Radeon HD 5750 Noiseless Edition

SSD (bootdisk): 100 GB OCZ Vertex 2

HDD (HD editing - source/read): 1x 1 Tb WD Caviar Black 1 TB, 7200 Rpm, 64 MB, Sata III/600 (Q: would an SSD not significantly speed up the reading of source material during editing/processing?)

HDD (HD editing - write): 2x 1 Tb WD Caviar Black 1 TB, 7200 Rpm, 32, Sata II, in RAID 0

Burner: Plextor PX-B940SA Blu-Ray rewriter

Screen: Dell UltraSharp U2410 (24 Inch) (In case useful, I will use my old 17 inch 4:3 as second screen

Your comments are highly appreciated!

Thank you in advance and best regards,

Bill

• 1. Re: HD video editing PC for a beginner
          Scott Chichelli Level 3

HI,

CS5 over Vegas all day long. particularly right now in how vegas handles avchd.

bigger power supply, however the seasonic is of good quality

IF CS5 they you want an nVidia 285/480 or Quadro.

source and render BOTH need to be raid 0 for AVCHD but larger (4 drive) is not needed nor avails anything.

with that said the 930 is a tad on the light side of processing power either over clock (i know) or get the 980x.

i would not touch value ram from anyone. the X58 platform is VERY persnickity about ram.

Scott

ADK

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: HD video editing PC for a beginner
            Bill Lumbergh Level 1

Hi Scot,

Many thanks for your feedback. Does CS5 recognize and make use of the 6 core 980x? Also, I will be paying premium (around € 1000) which is 400% of the 930. with it being around 40% faster (if all cores are addressed). .With the mother board only having 2 SATA III ports, would you use them for the read or for the write disks? And what about an SSD for the read disk(s)?

Thanks.

Rgds,

Bill

• 3. Re: HD video editing PC for a beginner
              Scott Chichelli Level 3

HI,

not seen a big jump from sata 2 to sata III until you get into large disk arrays.

EG:

WD 1 TB 64 meg Cache Sata 600 Drives

Intel onboard Controller

Single drive - 112MB

2 Drive Raid 0 - 196MB

Marvell 6G controller

Single Drive  - 111MB

2 Drive Raid 0 - 215MB

not a big jump for 2 drive raid 0

i dont know that i would bother with an SSD drive, it might help with the cache files a tad.

yes the 980x is very much used by CS5, this is the first time i can ever recall recommending Intels most expensive processor.

especially being an over clocking fan myself.

but yes it matter that much.

its actually outpreforming Xeons.

Scott

ADK

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: HD video editing PC for a beginner
                Bill Lumbergh Level 1

Thanks again, Chris. I'll go for the 2x RAID 0 with the SATA III drives (for the fun of it) for source material and the SATA II's for output. I will give the 980x some thought again, but migth stick to the plan of buying the 930 first and switch to the hexacore if I am not content with the speed. I can always sell the 930 for half the price (VAT inclusive) losing only about € 100 .

I am not overly concerned about the 750W Seasonic, since it proved to be stable and as energy effecient under max stress load as under medium load, even being capable of delivering almost 100W extra in torture without any pain whatsoever (it even performed better than under light load).

Any other thoughts from anyone would still be appreciated. Aim to order my rig towards the end of next week.

Regards,

Bill

• 5. Re: HD video editing PC for a beginner
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Bill, from your comments I doubt that you have visited my Premiere Pro Benchmark web site where there are over 100 different configurations with benchmark results posted on the results page.  It might be worthwhile,

• 6. Re: HD video editing PC for a beginner
                    Bill Lumbergh Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the info. The benchmark posted seems to generate a varity of results, not immediately indicating a winner in each section across the board , apart from CS5 that seems to be a huge improvement.

From these results, it isn't clear to me (remember, I am an HD editing newbie) what is wrong with my proposed rig or where I could do better (with a budget of approx € 3,500 ex VAT).  Since i am open to suggestions, would you care to expand a little?

Many thanks in advance.

Bill.

• 7. Re: HD video editing PC for a beginner

I am not implying anything is wrong with your selections (of course we have not seen the final list), I just want you to be comfortable and be aware of a tool that can be used to help you verify that you have your system setup and tuned properly when you get to that point. When data is sent to me I reply either with compliments on a great setup or suggestions on how you might improve your system.  PPBM4 is agreat tool to test your CPU and disk performance. You would be surprised how many people for instance do not tune their brand new OS and need suggestions along that line

I am looking into another motherboard right now and it probably is going to be one step up from your UD5, I am very interested in the UD7 because of it's USB3 ports for future use.

• 8. Re: HD video editing PC for a beginner
                        Bill Lumbergh Level 1

Thanks Bill. Was not intented as any critic towards you (I wouldn't be so presumptious, knowledgeable nor impolite). I thought about the UD7 too, but the main difference I found are the network ports and the SLI/Cross fire option i won't be needing. UD5 also has 2 USB3 ports, the same as UD7.

Rgds,

Bill

• 9. Re: HD video editing PC for a beginner
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

Some general remarks if I may.

SSD boot disk will not help with editing, only with boot time and load time of programs. Currently at around 30 times the price per GB, I find conventional disks a much better bang-for-the-buck.

750 W PSU may suffice, unless you opt for a nVidia supported card, in that case upping the wattage to 850 or even more may be wise.

Mem: 2x 12 GB Kingston ValueRam Triple Channel 12 GB, PC3-10666, 1333 MHz, 9, Non-ECC

How do you intend to fit them in? You only have 6 slots, so the most economical approach would be to go for 12 GB. OCZ Platinum would be my choice with 1333 speed and CAS 7.

Consider Win7 Pro instead of Ultimate, unless you really need bitlocker.

The i7-980X is quite a bit faster than the i7-930, but you pay a premium price for it.

• 10. Re: HD video editing PC for a beginner
                            Bill Lumbergh Level 1

Thanks Harm,

I will buy an SDD boot disk for general PC usage anyway. In my book, bang for buck is irrelevant compared to the leap in startup performance. But thanks to you and the others who have been so kind as to help me foreward, I will take a 2 HDD raid 0 setup over an additional SSD for the HD source material.

UTP/Video card: Unless you advise otherwise, I will stay with the Ati cards that have directx 11,  Eyefinity and AtiStream (who knows, might be usfeful in the near future). The reason I prefer the x750 so much over the new series of 850 (Corsair?) which are 80+ too is the fact that I want a quiet PC. Wth the Seasonic, when not editing, you have a noiseless UTP under light load. The UTP fan is only activated at 25% and above usage, and deactivated when it drops down the 25% threshold again.

Mem: I originally planned to take the 12 GB 1333 cas 7 OCZ which is available at a very attractive price, but it exists in a kit of 6 only (or am I misinformed there?). The Kingston Value RAM is available in a kit of 3, allowing for 2 kits of 12 GB.. However, I changed my shopping basket replacing the Value RAM for the Kingston HyperX Triple Channel 24 GB, 1600 MHz, 9, Non-ECC,  Kit Of 6. This is more expensive, but it isn't Value RAM as per the suggestion of Chris (though I have never experienced any trouble with Value RAM as long as you do not plan to overclock). I don't really care too much for the new set being 1600 MHZ, but it is the only one available at the store I plan to buy the entire rig from (don't want to order from different stores).

Proc: Alternatively, I could switch to 12 GB 1333 RAM in a kit of 3 and a 980x which is more or less price neutral compared to 24 GB 1600 RAM and 930? Also thought about waiting for the new EVGA board (soon to be released) with 12 mem slots, allowing for up to 48 GB for future use. Would that be wise?

Win7: Thanks, I will switch to pro version which I think I can get at a good price too.

Best regards,

Bill

• 11. Re: HD video editing PC for a beginner
                              Scott Chichelli Level 3

not getting a Cuda card is rather foolish at this point for

CS5

2 sets of raid 0 is really needed.

12gig of ram and a fast CPU is better than 24gig ram and a slower cpu.

Scott

ADK

• 12. Re: HD video editing PC for a beginner
                                Bill Lumbergh Level 1

Chris,

Video card: Won't the 5000xxx series of Ati (Ati Stream Technoligy) be just as capable as the CUDA chipsets?

HDD: It will be 2 sets Raid0. In my prior post I only referred to the source/read/media side. There will be a 2 disk Raid0 on the output side as well.

Proc: I agree. the 980x it is then.

Almost there!

Thanks

rgds,

Bill

• 13. Re: HD video editing PC for a beginner

Bill Lumbergh wrote:

Chris,

Video card: Won't the 5000xxx series of Ati (Ati Stream Technoligy) be just as capable as the CUDA chipsets?

Bill,

Nothing that ATI has will use the new Mercury Playback Engine (MPE) that Adobe has built into Premiere CS5.  It would be a real waste of your money.

• 14. Re: HD video editing PC for a beginner
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

You have 6 DIMM slots available. If you populate these with 2 G sticks, you end up with 12 G. If you use 4 G sticks, you end up with 24 G. However, the price for a hex pack of 2 G each is around $ 350, whereas a hex pack of 4 G each is around $ 1.400.

• 15. Re: HD video editing PC for a beginner
                                      Bill Lumbergh Level 1

Thanks Chris,

Did not know of that restriction in CS5. Will switch to NVIDIA.

Harm, thanks.

I knew that, but it is against my principles to populate the total of available DIMMs with a minimum or small amount of memory. I am aware of the price tag, but you can never have too much memory (right, microsoft?). Will go for a 3x4 Gb solution with the 980x which is more or less budget neutral compared to 24 Gb + 930.

Any -final- thoughts on the EVGA board with 12 DIMM slots?

Thank again to all contributers.

Rgds,

Bill

• 16. Re: HD video editing PC for a beginner