25 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2010 7:48 AM by Noel Carboni

Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available

Tom Hogarty Adobe Employee

Details on the new camera support and lens correction here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2010/05/camera_raw_61_release_candidat.html

Regards,

Tom Hogarty

Lightroom, Camera Raw and DNG Product Manager

• 1. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
          Yammer Level 4

Addresses responsiveness to controls, and extra cameras, as well as new lens correction stuff.

Sounds just the ticket! And I have to go out soon

• 2. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
            esophoria Level 1

On the Mac version, I am only seeing payload and another folder.  The payload when clicked results in an error message.  Anyone else getting that?

• 3. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
              Felix_T

I absolutely love the new perspective correction features! my no1 wanted feature! however they're not quite as useful without being able to display a grid over the image! (or am I missing something?)

• 4. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                Thomas Knoll Level 2

There is an option to display a grid on the flyout menu for the lens correction pane.

• 5. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

Felix_T wrote:

...however they're not quite as useful without being able to display a grid over the image! (or am I missing something?)

As Thomas says there's a toggle key to display a grid in the main ACR flyout and you can also toggle it on/off via the V key...

• 6. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                    Felix_T Level 1

oops, must've missed that! thanks!

• 7. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                      fotosula

After starting AdobePachinstaller I receive an error message "stop all instances of adobe application manager". The problem is that I don't have that manager running as far as I can see. Can't find a way around this problem. I have a mac with OS X 10.6.3 and Adobe CS5.

• 8. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                        Joshua Cohen Level 3

Does this make PS CS5 compatible with LR b2 from an ACR point of view?

• 9. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Hi Joshua,

Camera Raw 5.7 for CS4 provided interop compatibility with LR 3 beta 2.

CR 6.1 release candidate for CS5 offers some camera support and features not available in LR 3 beta 2.

Eric

• 10. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                            RASouthworth Level 3

Eric,

The ACR lens correction appears very attractive, except of course two of my Nikon lenses, 16-85VR and 55-200VR, aren't presently covered.  What is the process by which additional lens profiles available for all are included?  Is it up to the community to generate, and if so does Adobe do some sort of qualification?

Richard Southworth

• 11. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                              stewch Level 1

Congrats Tom!

A while back you said there'd be an ACR 6.n version available for PSE8 users. Any way for PSE users to play with this RC, or do we need to wait for final? And will this be supported under Mac Bridge CS4? (The RC installer doesn't seem to like it.)  thx

• 12. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                                MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Hi Richard, thanks for your feedback. We are looking to expand the set of available profiles going forward. However, clearly it will be difficult for us to have profiles for all of the (many!) lenses out there, especially at the outset. There are many things that users can do in the meantime. One is to check if somebody else has built a profile already for your lens; this can be done from the Photoshop Lens Correction filter in CS5 (i.e., search online for profiles). This is the community aspect you referred to. Adobe currently does not qualify/test user-contributed profiles. I believe there may be some system by which users can rate profiles (effectively a peer-review system) but I don't know if that's in place yet.

Another way is to use Adobe Lens Profile Creator (also available on Adobe Labs) to build your own profile for your lens (which you can then optionally contribute to Adobe, to share with the community).

Yet another way is to use the manual controls in Camera Raw to correct for distortion (barrel/pincushion only), lateral CA, and vignetting. Not as powerful as the profile, but helps get you started.

• 13. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                                  Yammer Level 4

Are there any notes anywhere on the new lens correction controls?

I'm trying to understand the function of the Lens Profile Corrections' Setup control, with its Default, Auto, and Custom settings. Default and Auto appears to be the same, so I must be missing something.

Also, am I right in thinking that Chromatic Aberration correction is done by lens data? Is this not possible to do automatically by an image analysis algorithm? (just a nosey academic question really)

• 14. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                                    Jeff Schewe Level 5

Yammer P wrote:

No...not yet (since it's an RC ya know)...

• 15. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                                      Yammer Level 4

My folks always told me, "If you don't ask, you don't get."

• 16. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                                        quenton8 Level 2

Just a note on something that happened to be last night.

Nasty -- since I don't have CS5 I decided to download this with the DNG  converter -- just for fun.

I opened it, it said to point it a  folder with photos, I did -- didn't figure on it being destructive -- it  removed (or moved, have not looked around yet) ALL my subfolders with  over 10,000 photos.

I immediately removed my external drive with  alternating nightly backups and rebooted.  Photos still missing, copied  them back from the external drive -- shows the usefulness of a disaster  recovery plan.

Not nice of anything to just "take over"  everything and move/remove it!!!

P.S. -- since I wrote the above I did find the parts had been moved from c:\Photos\... to c:\PHOTOplay\Photos -- partly because it stopped when it could not move my PSE Catalog whicih was also inside c:\Photos\.. because I had PSE7 open.

• 17. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                                          dfranzen_adobe Level 3

Dennis,

Can you please tell me specifically what the exact, full paths are to the import and output folders you selected in the DNG Converter, as well as all the other options you specified in the converter (file naming, preferences, etc.)? It's not expected that the converter will mover or delete files--only create new DNG files from your RAW files.

Also, are you saying that the DNG conversion process actually removed files from your hard drive, or are you only seeing files "moved" or "missing" in your Elements organizer?

Thanks,

David

• 18. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                                            quenton8 Level 2

Happy to help -- but everything seemed to occur so fast that I may not remember exactly.

So here is my best effort ...

1. I THINK I had PSE7 running -- not 100% sure but when I went to the windows task manager, one of the processes was "PSE Organizer", and that would fit with the error I got which was a file-sharing error on part of the catalog
                                              1. Assuming I had the Organizer open, then when all was done the window was gone just the process still there
                                            2. On March 30, I downloaded and installed LR3-B2 too see what it was like.  I must have created a folder c:\PHOTOplay to point it at to find copies of photos to play with -- that folder's create date was Mar 30/10, same as the date on the LR3-B2
                                            3. I installed the DNG Converter.
                                            4. I opened it
                                            5. I pointed it first at c:\Photos where my main folders (and Catalog!) are kept.  The Catalog is in c:\Photos\CATALOGS
                                            6. At some point around here I got a file-sharing error something about "Catalog(s)" I did not read it in detail.
                                            7. Having pointed the DNG Converter at c:\Photos, I quickly realized I don't keep photos in there, so went to find one of my folders inside "Photos" that was recent enough to have .NEF files -- could not find the folder.
                                            8. I then looked at c:\Photos via windows and it contained about 4 or 5 folders (instead of 30 or more), one of which was CATALOGS
                                            9. I then rebooted to be sure there was some file-system damage -- there was not
                                            10. I then went to my external drive and copied back the folders from there, then used PSE to check for un-connected files -- none, so my previous nights backup was good
                                            11. I then looked on c:\ for the missing folders and found them  c:\PHOTOplay\Photos -- all there except the ones that were still in c:\Photos, presumably the ones that would have been copied except for the file-sharing error.

So, the c:\PHOTOplay folder looks like it had been in use by LR3-B2, was taken by the DNG converter as the "place to do things", and when I pointed it at c:\Photos is moved things until it got the sharing error.  At least that is the best sequence of events I can come up with without duplicating it all again -- even if that were possible.

Hope this can help -- being in the S/W business I know how difficult it can be to reproduce problems from some end-user's description

• 19. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                                              dfranzen_adobe Level 3

Hi Dennis,

When you say you 'Pointed' DNG Converter at your C:\Photos folder do you mean for both input and output folders, this is labeled "...location to save converted images" in the dialog. Options are "Save in Same Location" or you can choose another folder. There is also a checkbox here, "Preserve subfolders". Do you remember the state of these settings?

...c:\PHOTOplay folder looks like it had been in use by LR3-B2, was taken by the DNG converter...

Lightroom and the DNG Converter to do not communicate in such a way that the converter would automatically use the same folder you were using in Lightroom as an output folder. Really, the DNG Converter does not use "a place to do things" nor does it "move" files. It just reads input files from one set of folders and writes the DNGs into the same, or a different folder. On the other hand, when you import photos into Lightroom, you have the option to either copy them from one location to another ("Copy"), leave them in the same place ("Add"), or move them from one location to another ("Move"). I suspect that you may have accidentally moved your files from C:\Photos to c:\PHOTOplay while you were using Lightroom, not while running the DNG Converter. Do you think this might be possible? I think it would explain why the files moved on disk. But even if this is the case, I'd like to understand the root cause of the error message you saw.

Are you able to reproduce a) the warning dialog or b) the DNG Converter moving files? If you can reproduce the warning, please try to take a screenshot.

Thanks,

David

• 20. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                                                quenton8 Level 2

Well -- I spent an hour last night trying to do exactly what I did -- nothing.

Your comments about LR doing are "possible" -- I had played a bit with it earlier that day, but I had also exported some photos from PSE7 after that, and the exports were good.

I guess I give up, for now -- if I come across something I will let you know -- sorry!

• 21. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                                                  dfranzen_adobe Level 3

HI Dennis,

Thank you very much for spending some time trying it again.

-David

• 22. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                                                    drawnbythelight

Also getting this error message "You are already running Adobe Application Manager. Please close all instances of Adobe Application Manager in order to continue with this installation." when launching AdobePatchinstaller after upgrading to CS5 Design Premium on a 10.6.3 Mac. No Apps running. Activity Monitor doesn't show andthing Adobe running.

• 23. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                                                      drawnbythelight Level 1

Restarting the Mac does clear this up and allow installation as someone mentioned.

• 24. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                                                        Yammer Level 4

Jeff Schewe wrote:

Yammer P wrote:

No...not yet (since it's an RC ya know)...

Just to show my general ignorance about this subject, can I ask again if there are any notes anywhere on how to use the new features in ACR 6.x, now that's it's on general release?

• 25. Re: Camera Raw 6.1 Release Candidate Now Available
                                                          Noel Carboni Level 7

There is some info starting on this page:  http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4728

Note the link to the ReadMe file, which contains some release notes (though very terse):  http://www.adobe.com/special/photoshop/camera_raw/Camera_Raw_6.1_ReadMe.pdf

There is some insight to be gained by becoming familiar with the Adobe Lens Profile Creator:  http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lensprofile_creator/

But I have to agree with you that the new features are presently somewhat underdocumented.

-Noel