17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2010 11:13 PM by vasko626

Does anyone test Adobe's software anymore?

dan o41 Level 1

Whose idea was a grayed out AI for the upper left corner of CS5?

We've been "programmed" to think "not in focus" when we see that.

And thanks for not allowing actions to call scripts in yet another Windows version.

(By the way, I was a tester for AI version 4.1 the first windows version.)

• 1. Re: Does anyone test Adobe's software anymore?
          [scott] Level 6

The "AI" in the upper left corner has no function... thus screened back, no focus so it doesn't distract from the work area or tools. I don't get your point.

• 2. Re: Does anyone test Adobe's software anymore?
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Think abut that Scott and you will be able to visualize the point quite well.

I know I saw it right away.

• 3. Re: Does anyone test Adobe's software anymore?
              davidmacy Adobe Employee

This is an intentional UI design. You may not like it or may even feel that it is in some way misleading in terms of functionality, but it has nothing to do with how thoroughly the software is tested.

• 4. Re: Does anyone test Adobe's software anymore?
                Skullmaker Level 3

How can you tell the software is "thoroughly tested" when the versions came with nasty bugs as the memory bug (in Cs4 and CS5) or the list of bugs already discovered by regular users. For professional users these types of bugs are besides annoying, costly and waste of time. Cuts productivity and when bugs as color system no accurate can cost a lot of money.

With 12 bugs found in the first weeks after the release, I do not feel like Adobe is paying attention or this are "intentional UI designs".

I can understand a new bug on a new version, but I cannot accept why an old bug still in the new versions.

Do you know or have an idea on why Adobe refuses to provide updates for its faulty software?

• 5. Re: Does anyone test Adobe's software anymore?
                  [scott] Level 6

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

Think abut that Scott and you will be able to visualize the point quite well.

I know I saw it right away.

I don't get your point either Wade. The only time you'd ever see this "AI" is when the Application is in the foreground. There's no chance of mistakenly thinking the app is in the background, at least not on a Mac system. So the screen appearance makes perfect sense.

• 6. Re: Does anyone test Adobe's software anymore?
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                    How can you tell the software is "thoroughly tested"

It is. But frankly, even Beta testers have day jobs and can only spend so and so much time on this. That's probably the one thing that in all the time you do not realize when running off about bugs and issues. Aside from Adobe's ignorance to fix certain issues (I am blogging about Photoshop CS5's defunct 3D almost every day), it's a simple resource problem. Nobody ever paid me to go hunting for bugs in a plug-in or a full app, I'm doing all this on my own time. So naturally, I only explore things that interest me and leave others untouched. It's just how it is. Now a paid QE at Adobe is a different story and on some level you would even be right about them not doing their job as is probably required, but even those poor fellas have only so long a working day and can get so much done.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: Does anyone test Adobe's software anymore?
                      shunithD Level 3

Mylenium wrote:

It is. But frankly, even Beta testers have day jobs and can only spend so and so much time on this. That's probably the one thing that in all the time you do not realize when running off about bugs and issues. Aside from Adobe's ignorance to fix certain issues (I am blogging about Photoshop CS5's defunct 3D almost every day), it's a simple resource problem. Nobody ever paid me to go hunting for bugs in a plug-in or a full app, I'm doing all this on my own time. So naturally, I only explore things that interest me and leave others untouched. It's just how it is. Now a paid QE at Adobe is a different story and on some level you would even be right about them not doing their job as is probably required, but even those poor fellas have only so long a working day and can get so much done.

Mylenium,

i hate to say this but you're talking nonsense here... numerous bugs have been pointed out and they still persist from Release to Release. Further, there has been no attempt, as Skullmaker points out, to redress known and documented bugs in AI CS4.

'Where there's a will, there's a way', goes that hoary old cliche... i dare say however, that as far as Adobe and Illustrator seem to be concerned, there seems to be no will...

I accept, before you jump down my throat, that any new software will have bugs as it's not possible for the developers to catch everything, nor, for that matter, for the beta testers. However, the point being made is that, there seems to be no effort to even rectify or address the known/documented bugs.

• 8. Re: Does anyone test Adobe's software anymore?
                        Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

However, the point being made is that, there seems to be no effort to even rectify or address the known/documented bugs.

Well, sorry guys - look yourselves in the eyes and tell me whether you can proudly say you reported these what you call "known issues". As far as I'm concerned - you haven't. When I started this thread to collect them all in one place and forward them to the right people, nobody picked up, which essentially tells me that you are not really interested in participating in a constructive and productive way and rather prefer to loose yourselves in endless debates on forums where indeed nobody might read your complaints any longer as soon as Hans pops in... That, my friends, is the harsh truth about the matter. And no offense to the kids, many of your so-called "bugs" are just random occurances. What would a software engineer do about something that only happens to one out of 10000 users with no clear pattern to reproduce? IMO, you really have a wrong idea how software development works. Well, whatever, this is just one more thread going down the drain, so I will stop here...

Mylenium

• 9. Re: Does anyone test Adobe's software anymore?
                          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Scott

I was not referring to the merits of the complaint but the complaint it itself which seems pointless.

• 11. Re: Does anyone test Adobe's software anymore?
                            Skullmaker Level 3

Hello Mylenium,

I can understand that Adobe is asking its employees to work hard with limited resources or time. When I am talking about Adobe, I am only talking about the lack of business ethics of the company, meaning the CEO or any one at top who makes the decisions.

I do respect your opinion about my comments. When CS4 Memory Bug appeared, some users started to give excuses on behalf of Adobe: "You need more Memory", "clean the scratch disk", etc., etc, when we all knew is a bug. I cannot let people seeking help feel like they are doing something wrong when in reality they are experiencing a bug.

If you notice, my comments appeared after the CS3 fiasco. Sure CS2 was not perfect, but you can tell the company was working and caring. That was over 4 years ago.

So I say it again: I can understand a new bug on a new version, but I cannot accept why an old bug still in the new versions.

• 12. Re: Does anyone test Adobe's software anymore?
                              MWHebert Level 1

Dan,

dan o41 wrote:

Whose idea was a grayed out AI for the upper left corner of CS5?

We've been "programmed" to think "not in focus" when we see that.

And thanks for not allowing actions to call scripts in yet another Windows version.

(By the way, I was a tester for AI version 4.1 the first windows version.)

I do recall reviewing Illustrator for Windows (2.0) and it was a disaster.That was the first version for Windows.

4.1 was such a huge improvement I learned Illustrator with it, though it was no where near feature compatible with version 3.0 for the Mac and Corel Draw! was the king.

• 13. Re: Does anyone test Adobe's software anymore?
                                vasko626

So, you are saying that we pay a bunch of money for tools that might not work or be broken and have no wright to complain or demand quality?!?! My appologies but you speak nonsense. This is not open source nor free. I get paid for projects done with these tools. How do you think I should feel if these tools start slowing me down rather than helping me. I remember Toyota replacing all their faulty units from a specific model without one word against.

Not to mention the complete lack any functional undates from version 10 till now. Font managing hasn't evloved at all. Finding fonts is a nightmare especialy when working with non roman characters. There is compelete lack of live font editing and transfoming. The artboard hasn't grown beyond the 5...meters - WHY? I often have to deal with very large files. Customization is beyond 0 - actualy there isn't any!!!! These are just small example of thing that we have take from Adobe. And on top of that we have to take the extra bonus - LOTS OF BUGS.

I am sory for being so critical but every new version dissapoins me more than the previous.

Cheers

Vasko

• 14. Re: Does anyone test Adobe's software anymore?
                                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Are you sure there re lots of bugs? Are you certain that things re as bad as you write?

Of course complaining is actually good thing if they point to a problem and help define a problem.

Even if the complaint points nowhere it is probably good to complain about it. It might mean there is a problem but not with the program it seemingly related to as a little odd as that might seem initself.

But it has to have a purpose and from what you write you want to make some feature requests, but I suggest doing so give a clear reason why this is helpful and don't be surprise if Adobe contacts you about it.

But I can tell you that if you write such a request in the manner you wrote your post then you you will not hear from anyone for sure.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 15. Re: Does anyone test Adobe's software anymore?
                                    [scott] Level 6

vasko626 wrote:

[    rant.....     ]

From my perspective... live font transformations are easily accomplished. Just not in the same manner you transform a rectangle.

I have no issue finding fonts.

How do you expect AI to "manage" fonts?

I've never needed a larger artboard, ever in 20+years. (psst.. vector art scales fantastically.)

What "customization" are you needing?

Have you filed feature requests?

Do you think the majority of users will need what you want?

See... that's the rub.... just because YOU want something doesn't mean everyone does. And why would any developer waist time building an application for 1% of their market?

And the "bugs" you refer to don't seem prevalent here. I've been using AICS5 (15.0) for a loooooong time without any real issues.

How I use AI is not how you use AI, which is not how others use AI. We're all individuals with different needs and desires. Sure AI doesn't do EVERYTHING I wish it did for me. But if I want something, it's my responsibility to speak up (politely) and encourage something to be created/changed/addressed. Ranting in a random forum post will almost never get anything accomplished.

• 16. Re: Does anyone test Adobe's software anymore?
                                      vasko626 Level 1

Regarding to your questions about fonts and artboard size I must say I work in the outoor ads field and anything below 3m is an exception. I have even worked on stuff as large as 20m. My only solution is to work in scales which sometimes is very time consuming. I say fonts are poorly managed because there isn't realtime preview of selected font, there isn't any logic in the list sorting. There are some sort of groups but they make no sense at all. I am from Bulgaria and work mostly with cyrillic symbols. Searching fonts through the list is a pain. Have you tried selecting font that doen's support cyrillic. The font field goes blank and you don't know where you were on the list. Try finding the correct one if you don't know the name. Because of such issues I often switch to CorelDraw and I must say I envy the guys using it. May be you should try it and than go back to Ily.

Don't get me wrong - I use Ily for more than 12 years and probably will for the next 12 but as time goes by it seems Adobe hasn't done almost no progress in my field. This is where my frustration comes from and I must say the list is very long.

• 17. Re: Does anyone test Adobe's software anymore?
                                        Tie & Die Level 1

The grouping of font is mostly controlled by the Script of the font (Roman, Japanese, Korean, Cryllic etc..). To me it looks logical grouping.

The font menu going blank is controlled by a Preference "Enable Missing Glpyh Protection". If you uncheck this and the target font doesn't have the glyphs then boxes will be shown instead. If this preference is ON then it won't change the font of those characters which are not present in the font being applied making a case of mixed font.

HTH