9 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2010 1:25 PM by Ann Bens

Export to Encore, Highest Quality MPEG-2 Settings

Intercostal Level 1

CS3:

I'm burning a 15 minute film. Quality is the most important. It's NTSC, 29.97, 16:9

Regarding the settings, I did a few test renders but I have some questions:

Multiplexing, DVD or None? From what I understand it has to do with a separate audio track. Is there any reason to go with DVD?

Audio, PCM or MPEG? I did a test render with PCM(was the default), seemed okay.... Any reason to go with MPEG?

Field Order, I used None,progessive. Any reason to go with lower or upper?

Bitrate Encoding----I used CBR. I got much better results. Does upping the Mbps to the highest number (9) improve the quality?

GOP settings, the choices are 3-8, is the highest number the best quality-wise? The default is 3.

N Frames, choices 9, 12, 15, 16,     What is the best quality-wise? The default is 15.

• 1. Re: Export to Encore, Highest Quality MPEG-2 Settings
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I would go with elemental/elementary streams, i.e. Video-only in one file, and Audio-only in another. Fewer issues that way. Import the Video-only as a Timeline, and the Audio-only file as an Asset. From Project Panel, drag the Audio file to the appropriate Timeline. Done!

As for the NTSC DVD, you will want PCM/WAV, or DD AC3 (100% DVD-compliant), and NOT MPEG. The WAV will be better quality, at the cost of slightly larger files, but the DD AC3's will have very good Audio.

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Export to Encore, Highest Quality MPEG-2 Settings
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry that I did not read down quite far enough.

I'd limit my MBPS to an absolute max of 8, and probably slightly down from there (somewhere between 7 and 8). The DVD-spces limit to 9.8, but that is combined Audio & Video, and also is used for replicated, i.e. pressed commercial discs, and not for burned discs. Do not push the "envelope," as you will likely encounter playability issues.

For your Duration CBR will probably work just perfectly, and require a bit less time.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Export to Encore, Highest Quality MPEG-2 Settings
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Multiplexing, DVD or None? From what I understand it has to do with a separate audio track. Is there any reason to go with DVD?

None. It results in two files, one video, one audio, Encore likes it better than multiplexed. Import the video as a timeline and the audio as an asset. Drag the audio asset to the audio track below the timeline and it snaps in place.

Audio, PCM or MPEG? I did a test render with PCM(was the default), seemed okay.... Any reason to go with MPEG?

None, PCM is good, AC3 Dolby is even better because it leaves more space for the video.

Field Order, I used None,progessive. Any reason to go with lower or upper?

If you have shot interlaced, keep it lower. If you use progressive on interlaced material, you lose half the vertical resolution.

Bitrate Encoding----I used CBR. I got much better results. Does upping the Mbps to the highest number (9) improve the quality?

Yes, but do not go beyond 8 for compatibility resons.

GOP settings, the choices are 3-8, is the highest number the best quality-wise? The default is 3.

N Frames, choices 9, 12, 15, 16,     What is the best quality-wise? The default is 15.

Leave them at default.

• 4. Re: Export to Encore, Highest Quality MPEG-2 Settings
                Intercostal Level 1

Thanks Bill, is it best to leave the GOP and N-Frame settings at their default of 3(GOP) and 15(N-Frame)?

• 5. Re: Export to Encore, Highest Quality MPEG-2 Settings
                  Intercostal Level 1

Harm, Thanks on the GOP and NFrame, I was posting while you were responding. I'm still reading the rest of your reply.

• 6. Re: Export to Encore, Highest Quality MPEG-2 Settings
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm beat me to the punch!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Export to Encore, Highest Quality MPEG-2 Settings
                      Intercostal Level 1

Thanks Harm, progressive seemed to work fine. I don't remember how I shot as far as interlaced is concerned but most likely non-interlaced or else I'd be having problems with the progressive setting...although I am testing it on an a computer screen so far.

It shouldn't be a problem with this project but how would I tell by looking at clips in Premiere as to whether or not  they are interlaced?

I just see aspect ratio, pixel info, Hz info, fps etc.....

• 8. Re: Export to Encore, Highest Quality MPEG-2 Settings
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Your camera settings will tell you, but if you don't have these available, use the new item icon at the bottom of the project panel and drop one clip on it. It will create a new sequence with settings that match your footage.

• 9. Re: Export to Encore, Highest Quality MPEG-2 Settings
                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                          function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Harm Millaard wrote:

Your camera settings will tell you, but if you don't have these available, use the new item icon at the bottom of the project panel and drop one clip on it. It will create a new sequence with settings that match your footage.

This is a CS5 feature only. OP is on CS3.

Most likely the dv footage is interlaced so it will have to be set at lower field.