4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2006 11:06 PM by kglad

INPUT TEXT THEORY

yarkehsiow
      Hello,
      i am faced with a challenge:
      create a "text editor" in textField.
      could anyone offer any direction/ tutorial URL on how to change text size/color/alignment within an input text field in Flash 8?
      is this possible? maybe with CSS?
      i purchased one online, but it does not work, and they offer NO support.
      Thank you greatly anyone who can help.
        • 1. Re: INPUT TEXT THEORY
          Rothrock Level 5
          It is possible. Generally I would think you should start with the help files. Check out the following classes:

TextField
          TextField.
          TextFormat
          TextSnapshot

Read every method, property, and event. Pretty much that is what you got to work with. (Of course I don't have Flash 8 and I think it might have a few more text related classes.)

It is kind of a big project, but totally doable. Of course it really depends upon how advanced a text editor you want to make it. My advice is to take it one step at a time. Perhaps work on inserting and deleting first. Or perhaps just changing some basic formatting like bold and italic.
          • 2. Re: INPUT TEXT THEORY
            yarkehsiow Level 1
            Rothrock,
            thank you, yes i agree and that is what i am doing (going through help).
            I just wonder if anyone out there has created something like this and has been willing to share ideas...
            I assume that it is rather difficult, due to the lack of results when i search this topic here and elsewhere.
            ( i am a relative beginner) it would be a pretty basic editor, but ultimately would have to be able to output the info regarding text sizes, colors etc. as css, or variables... uff
            thanks.
            • 3. Re: INPUT TEXT THEORY
              Rothrock Level 5
              I've only ever seen a few posts here. And never paid them too much mind because it wasn't something I was doing.

Good luck and post back with your triumphs and stumbling blocks.
              • 4. Re: INPUT TEXT THEORY
                kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                it's been done. here's one link with a free version. check google for more:

http://www.flashtexteditor.com/in.php