6 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2010 10:32 AM by the_wine_snob

Copying a dvd

123456ms

I made a video using Elements1.0 and burned it on a DVD.  My computer (XP) crashed and I had to erase all files including my original video.  My simple objective is to make a copy of the DVD.  Adobe will not advise on version 1.0 so I bought 8.0 this morning. HA! - my system requirements do not support 8.0  and as a consequence, I can't get Adobe to walk me through it.  So now I'm trying to copy the DVD into 1.0   I have the DVD in a folder which is in the 1.0 Elements program in a current project.  However, I cannot open the folder or get the DVD onto the timeline.  I simply want to burn a copy of this DVD and I am my-tee frustrated.  Rather than put the DVD into Elements, is there some other way to burn a copy?  I tried with a free download burn program but it refused to complete the burn due to some copyright issue from Adobe or one of its subcontractors.   Burn a copy of a DVD either through Elements 1.0 or any other way.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Copying a dvd
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You do not need Premiere Elements to make a copy of a DVD. Your computer's DVD burning software (as well as the free download ImgBurn) will do it.

You just put your DVD in your drive, open your burner software and suggest the option to duplicate. The software will tell you when to put in a blank disc.

Commercial DVDs, of course, have copy protection software on them, so you can't copy them.

• 2. Re: Copying a dvd
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If your burner did not come with a utility, like Roxio, or Nero, then the great, free burning utility, ImgBurn, can do this for you. If you have only one burner, it will first Copy your VIDEO_TS folder to the system, and then tell you put in a blank disc to do the Copy. If you have two burners, you will be able to bypass that Copy to HDD function, and will just go burner to burner.

If you do download ImgBurn, make sure to scroll down the screen for the actual download of that program. The top half of that page is ads, and not for ImgBurn. This has confused many.

By the way, ImgBurn is a great tool for burning when you have done Burn to Folder, or need to create an Image file, ISO, or burn an ISO. It also burns DVD-Data (and CD's of all sorts).

Good luck, and Adobe offers a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you can return PrE 8, and loose nothing.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - welcome to the forum!

• 3. Re: Copying a dvd
              123456ms Level 1

Mr. Hunt:

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. It's good to know that there are still people like you out there.

Marc Schumacher

• 4. Re: Copying a dvd
                123456ms Level 1

Mr. Grisetti:

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry.  It's good to know that there still are people out there like you.

Marc Schumacher

• 5. Re: Copying a dvd
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

More than you'd think, Marc!

In addition to this forum, Bill and I are also moderators at http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/ , one of the friendliest, most helpful forums on the web!

You'll usually get a helpful answer there within the hour to almost any video-related question (and quite a few non-video-related questions too)!

• 6. Re: Copying a dvd
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Marc,

I second Steve's invitation to join us at Muvipix too. Between these two fora, there are very few issues that cannot be solved.

Obviously, this forum is geared toward Adobe products, and many users on Muvipix also use Adobe products, there is a bit wider range of software, hardware, and maybe even production types and styles there.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I've been spending almost too much time here, and need to divide my time up between Adobe and Muvipix, when I get back to the Mainland.