4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2006 1:13 PM by Newsgroup_User

move to Flex?

kiley1
      Hi,
      I am considering moving and starting some projects in Flex 2. I just finished a project using Flash Forms and found some pretty huge pitfalls so I don't want to get burned again moving to a new "technology" (ie, uploading files is a huge PITA).

I am a very competent CF developer but I know almost nothing about Java. What books/sites/resources do you recommend I use to get up to speed on developing with Flex 2? The Web Application Construction Kit from Ben Forta is stellar. Is there a book like that for Flex 2?

Or should I first learn Java and then use Flex 2?

Thanks for your advice,

Kiley
        • 1. move to Flex?
          inlineblue Level 1
          You don't need to know Java to use Flex 2. The language, ActionScrip 3, is a version of ECMAScript, which is more or less JavaScript (but not Java). If you've used AS2 with Flash, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting acquainted with AS3.

As for books, at least a couple are in progress, but none published AFAIK. I say just go with the getting started tutorials that's part of the docs that comes with Flex Builder 2.

And uploading files is still a huge PITA. :-)
          • 2. Re: move to Flex?
            jrunrandy Adobe Employee
            I agree that the getting started lessons are a great place to start.

Here are some places to look when you finish the lessons:
            * The Flex Quick Starts provide sample code and explanations for common Flex tasks. We plan on adding more of these every week or two for the rest of the Summer. They are available from the Flex Developer Center. The dev center also has full-blown sample apps, but I think the quick starts might be better at first. Also, many developers like to poke around the Component Explorer and the Style Explorer, which are both available from the DevCenter.
            * Matt Chotin's blog has a post on Flex 2 Learning Materials.
            * All of our docs are available from the Flex Builder Help menu. Also, you can download the docs from the Flex Documentation page.
            * And of course, the Flex docs are available on LiveDocs, too.

HTH
            • 3. Re: move to Flex?
              kiley1 Level 1
              Thank you inlineblue and Randy. I think I'll start with the sites and resources you have recommended.

I have a simple ap which might be a good candidate (after going through the sites and resources). I mentioned uploading files was a huge PITA:

Is there a standard means to upload files? Or, do I have to try and get use the asfusion.com examples? Does Adobe have a standardized method to upload files?

Thank you for your input. It does help.

Kiley
              • 4. Re: move to Flex?
                Level 7
                I think that this might be what you're looking for:

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/2/docs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm?href=00001936 .html

HTH
                -Randy

"kiley1" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:e90l97$3kp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Thank you inlineblue and Randy. I think I'll start with the sites and
                > resources
                > you have recommended.
                >
                > I have a simple ap which might be a good candidate (after going through
                > the
                > sites and resources). I mentioned uploading files was a huge PITA:
                >
                > Is there a standard means to upload files? Or, do I have to try and get
                > use
                > the asfusion.com examples? Does Adobe have a standardized method to upload
                > files?
                >
                > Thank you for your input. It does help.
                >
                > Kiley
                >