5 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2010 5:59 PM by the_wine_snob

Unable to Play AVCHD clips in Permiere Elements 8

cbattle1

I just downloaded thge Photoshop/Premiere Elements 8 bundle to use on a Lenovo Think Pad T-400 with video from a Canon Vixia HF 200 AVCHD camcorder.  Photoshop works fine, but not Premiere.  It will not play my camera's AVCHD video clips (.mts files).  Playback is distorted, choppy, incomplete; basically unuseable.  The same clips will play perfectly with the Pixela software (Image Mixer 3 ver 5) that came free with my camera.  Windows Media Player will play them too.

Here are my computer system specs:

Lenovo Think Pad T-400

Windows XP SP3

Intel Core2 Duo CPU, 2.53GHz

3 GB RAM

100 GB free space on hard drive, recently defragmented

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 graphics card, drivers updated

Is my system underpowered, or might there be another problem?

Also, Premiere will not import or diplay thumbnails for previewing the AVCHD clips, either from existing files on the computer, or from the camcorder.  Is there a fix for that?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cullen

• 1. Re: Unable to Play AVCHD clips in Permiere Elements 8
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

WAY underpowered for AVCHD

You need at least a Quad core CPU (Intel i7 is good) with at least two 7200 RPM hard drives... one for Windows and all software the other for data

• 2. Re: Unable to Play AVCHD clips in Permiere Elements 8
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Cullen,

Welcome to the forum.

As John T. points out, a Duo-core CPU will never be able to play AVCHD, a very highly-compressed format, that is horribly CPU intensive. Many will state that a fast Quad-core is the absolute minimum, and other will say that only a hot i7 can really handle the task.

AVCHD is sold to consumers with no warning, as to what will be required to just do simple work with it. I guess that the salespeople just plan on selling those consumers new, more powerful computers.

Sorry for the bad news,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Unable to Play AVCHD clips in Permiere Elements 8
              cbattle1 Level 1

Hunt and John T,

Thank you for educating me.  I guess I'm not the first person who's walked into this trap.

I'm wondering if I were to get a new desktop, say a Dell, what's the least I could reasonably expect to get away with? All I want to do is strictly amatuer home movie type stuff.  I have no need for a super hot computer, except for this AVCHD thing.

Could I make do with one of the less expensive i7's.  If I get an i7, does the GHz speed matter that much? 

And do I really need two hard drives?  Or could I get away with one good one?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help.

Cullen

• 4. Re: Unable to Play AVCHD clips in Permiere Elements 8
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What I built is listed at http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

One hard drive WILL NEVER WORK

You need at least two drives... one for Windows and all software, one for data files

That is real, separate hard drives... NEVER A PARTITION

The 3 drive setup I built is better... but is still the minimum for HD editing

• 5. Re: Unable to Play AVCHD clips in Permiere Elements 8
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Cullen,

Again, I agree with John T. His system would be a good one.

The first two aspects of a computer for AVCHD are:

1.) CPU

2.) I/O sub-system, i.e. the HDD's (pay special attention to his "physical HDD's" and "No partitons.")

Now, with other media, besides AVCHD, those two roles are reversed.

3.) RAM

4.) proper setup of one's OS and the programs and Processes that load at boot-up

Good luck,

Hunt