2 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2010 4:06 PM by Harm Millaard

Building a Custom Built PC for Adobe CS4

Tr1st

Hi,

I am looking to build a reasonably well performing PC for use with CS4 (premiere, photoshop, after effects, encore). I don’t have a definite budget at the moment but would like to keep the cost as low as possible while leaving the possibility to upgrade to CS5 in the future without having to change or add too much. The PC will be used just for CS4 and Im not really look to do any overclocking. I am based in the UK and currently use SD DV footage, although I have been looking into purchasing a DSLR camera to film HD footage.

Having looked this week at various articles on the web and in these forums and at different hardware prices, this is what I came up with.

Thanks in advance if anyone has the time to go over this and has any suggestions or ideas on this setup.

Case:

CoolerMaster Elite 330 ATX (£30)

- Are there any specific features the case needs or will a budget option ok? I was also looking at the Antec 900 Black Steel ATX Case which is more than double the price.

Power Supply:

Best Value 700W Black PSU 12cm Dual 12v CE PFC Model 700UB (£27)

- Will a 700w power supply be suitable and is a budget option suitable? I was looking at the Corsair CMPSU 750TX 750W but it is triple the price.

Motherboard:

Asus P6T SE ATX X58 Motherboard (£145)

- Is there a big advantage upgrading from the Asus P6TSE Motherboard or is the PT6SE ok? The other mobo I was looking at was the Asus Deluxe V2 which is about £100 more.

Processor:

Intel Core i7-920, 2.66GHz (LGA 1366) (£205)

Processor Cooling Fan:

Zalman CNPS 10X Extreme (£37)

- Probably a stupid question, I don’t intend to overclock the machine will I still need a processor cooling fan?

Memory:

Corsair Memory Corsair 6GB 1333MHz DDR3 CL9 (£154)

- Will 6Gb run CS4 at reasonable speed or is it essential to get 12Gb from the start. If not I would look to upgrade when I switch to CS5.

Graphic/Video Card:

ATI Radeon HD 4550 XFX 1GB HDMI DVI PCI-E Low Profile (£30)

- From my understanding the graphics card isn’t too important for CS4 but if I want to change to CS5 upgrade I’ll need to upgrade this as well.

Hard Disk:

Western Digital 500GB Caviar Black SATA-II 32MB (£46)

2 x Hitachi 1TB Deskstar 7K1000.C SATA-300 7200rpm 32MB (£57 each)

- Dont know if anyones had much experience with the Hitachi Deskstar?. The other HDD I was looking at was the Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black 3.5" SATA6GB/S 7200rpm 64MB which would each be about £25 more.

DVD Burner:

Sony Optiarc AD-7240S-0B 24X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW SATA Drive (£15)

Operating System:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OEM (£106)

TOTAL £909

Cheers

Tristan