3 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2010 9:15 AM by the_wine_snob

How do I close a wide gap between slide show pictures in PRE 8?

Waldemar Sindt

I am working on a slide show  project with several hundred pictures.  All seemed to be going well until I opened the project to continue working on it one day and discovered an extremely wide gap between the first two pictures and the rest of the pictures that I had entered.  I clicked on the gap in the Video line to highlight it.  I then right clicked on it and the message "Delete and close gap" opened up.  When I moved the cursor over the message it became highlighted but when I clicked on it (either right or left click) nothing happened and the gap remains.

I would appreciate any ideas for removing the gap.  A lot of work has gone into the project already and I would hate to have to start over.

• 1. Re: How do I close a wide gap between slide show pictures in PRE 8?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

If the gap remains, then you likely have Audio beneath it, that is keeping the Video Clips from moving. If that IS the case, then hit the \ [Backslash key] to zoom out on the Timeline. Now, lasso the Video Clips (still images in your case) beyond the first two images, and with Snap ON, drag those to close that gap.

I believe that this would be much easier than Deleting the Audio, doing the Remove and Close Gap, and then dragging the Audio back to the Timeline, but the choice is yours.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How do I close a wide gap between slide show pictures in PRE 8?
            Waldemar Sindt Level 1

Thank you so much for your prompt and correct analysis of my problem.  It

was the audio that was preventing me from closing the gap.  I chose to

delete the audio as I didn't have that much installed anyway.  That allowed

me to close the gap.

I do have one other issue for which you might be able to suggest a fix.  I

have my pictures on the Video 1 line and titles on Video 2.  Then for some

unexplained reason when I reopen the project the titles have jumped to Video

3 or 4.  It's more of a nuisance than a real problem but I thought that you

might have an explanation and a suggestion to keep this from happening.

Jim

• 3. Re: How do I close a wide gap between slide show pictures in PRE 8?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

I have never observed, nor read of such behavior. I can come up with no ideas on what would cause this.

Now, once one has arranged their Assets on the desired Audio & Video Tracks, they can Delete Unused Tracks (will NOT affect the two fixed Audio Tracks: Narration and Soundtrack). If one later needs to place Assets on other Tracks, they can be created to suit.

PrPro also allows one to Rename the Audio & Video Tracks, but I don believe that PrE does, though PrE 8 might have added that capability. In my case, I would probably do something like Renaming Video Track 1 to "AV Footage 1," and Audio Track 1 to "AV Audio 1." My Titles Track would be Renamed to "Titles 1," or similar. If using something like Track Matte Keying, that Video Track would be Renamed to "Matte 1." I always do this, so that I can easily and quickly see exactly which Track is which. Also, PrPro does things a bit differently - all Video Tracks are at the top of the Track display in the Timeline, and all Audio Tracks are grouped below. PrE keeps the Audio & Video Tracks together, which suits more users' needs.

Good luck, and I wish that I had some idea as to what might be causing the observed behavior. Maybe others will have some useful thoughts, but I am drawing a blank.

Hunt