14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2010 1:01 PM by John Waller

DW CS5 – what's the initial feedback / response?

shunithD Level 3

Hi...

Those of you who've already started using DW CS5... what's your take? Worth the switch or stay with DW CS4?

TIA...

sd

• 1. Re: DW CS5 – what's the initial feedback / response?
          V_RocKs Level 1

Lots and lots of bugs... Just like CS4 when it came out. I'd wait for their first update.

Bugs range from it setting settings for you like turning on and off cloaking as it pleases. Or switching buttons from SAVE to SAVE AS TEMPLATE. Annoying!

Also when you have both the remote and local file systems side by side in the files window, it tends to do everything on the local side.

So lets say you open a folder in the local side. Next, you open a different folder on the remote side and select to create a new file. Guess where it goes? It ends up in the old folder on the local side. So now lets say on the remote side you select to Get a folder... Now it asks you if you really want to get the entire site because it doesn't seem to realize you selected anything on the remote side.

Now for $%^& and giggles lets say you slow/double click a file name that is a domain name and you want to copy and paste it into a browser window...Can't do it because DW doesn't know you selected the info.... everything on the remote side is fubar...

• 2. Re: DW CS5 – what's the initial feedback / response?
            Ben M Adobe Community Professional

I wouldn't say lots of bugs.  It's been running smooth here on Mac OSX (10.6.3).  There are a few minor annoyances where people have had permissions problems but those can be easily remedied.  I only work with local files and then upload so I can't say I have experienced the same bugs that this previous poster did though with remote files.

• 3. Re: DW CS5 – what's the initial feedback / response?
              V_RocKs Level 1

I am on Windows 7 64bit.

• 4. Re: DW CS5 – what's the initial feedback / response?
                shunithD Level 3

Thanks for the feedback guys... let's hope some more venture in with comments... but V Rock, your suggestion about waiting for the update is a good one.

Snakeyez... my workflow seems a bit more like yours... all work done locally and then uploaded to the (web) server...

Edit: my system is currently a dual boot XP / Win7. (Obviously, CS5 would go on  Win7.)

• 5. Re: DW CS5 – what's the initial feedback / response?
                  Tiny_Guys Level 1

Just think of the money you would have saved if you had waited for Dw CS4 to have it's first update.

• 6. Re: DW CS5 – what's the initial feedback / response?
                    M.R.Biesheuvel Level 3

Great stuff, a big improvement, iI just updated form CS4 to CS5 works great!

• 7. Re: DW CS5 – what's the initial feedback / response?
                      John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                      function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

but V Rock, your suggestion about waiting for the update is a good one.

I suggest that that's more fantasy than reality. There probably won't be a minor update for CS5. The next update will be CS6.

Adobe is not noted for issuing updates for Dreamweaver, despite bugs being reported to them. None were issued for CS4 and an obscure one was issued for CS3 which didn't help anyone in the Western world.

http://www.adobe.com/support/dreamweaver/downloads_updaters.html

Having said that, I am currently running the Trial of CS5 Design Premium on Win 7 Ultimate and it's excellent. No issues to report other than it's fast and stable so far.

• 8. Re: DW CS5 – what's the initial feedback / response?
                        Level 4

Discussions about "wait for an update" always give me a chuckle.

Think of it this way: CS5 is the update to CS4 that you've been waiting for when CS4 was released and everyone was saying "wait for an update"

Bottom line is this: if you're always waiting for an update then that's exactly what you'll be doing... always waiting for an update. In the meantime others are developing with the current version.

• 9. Re: DW CS5 – what's the initial feedback / response?
                          V_RocKs Level 1

I guess I come from the land of Macromedia Dreamweaver... Macromedia did put out updates that fixed the issues.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: DW CS5 – what's the initial feedback / response?

Same here. I really appreciated Macromedia's approach to fixing issues with patches.

Adobe's approach to fixing issues with patches is poor.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: DW CS5 – what's the initial feedback / response?
                              shunithD Level 3

Tiny_Guys wrote:

Just think of the money you would have saved if you had waited for Dw CS4 to have it's first update.

There's no update once a new version comes out...

• 12. Re: DW CS5 – what's the initial feedback / response?
                                cbmackay

The really irritating bugs in DW CS4/Mac include (I'd say "included", but there's no CS5 in my future if this crap hasn't been sorted out):

Screens:

• When I move my Mac between the office, where I have an external display, and home, where I don't, I have to throw away the DW config folder. Otherwise, it crashes out on launch. Every. Single. Time. Fortunately, I can manually copy most of the settings I care about back instead of rebuilding them, but what kind of amateur BS is this?

Files Window:

• When clicking on a file on the local side, it would ALWAYS leave the Put/Get buttons greyed-out until the file was deselected, then reselected.
                                • When clicking on a file on the remote side, it would ALWAYS pop up a dialog saying "DW is busy, go pound sand"; this even if the machine had been idle for hours. Amazingly, it would always be ready a few seconds later.
                                • Right-clicking files to check-in, check-out, rename, delete, etc., would often result in a menu that had to be clicked 3, 5, 8 times before it would register any click at all; sometimes it simply wouldn't work unless command-tabbing to another app and coming back to DW CS4 (sometimes the menu would still be open, waiting for someone to do something with it).

All of these bugs add up to the fact that using DW CS4 is an incredibly frustrating exercise in wasting time.

Open As...

• Open As... staunchly refused to remember what helper apps you liked. Choosing BBEdit every time you wanted to send a file someplace useful was tiresome.
                                • Once you'd round-tripped a file to BBEdit, Dreamweaver would always insist that you'd edited a section of the file you weren't allowed to, and would obliterate the changes -- destruction that it was thorough enough to make sure changes got deleted in BBEdit, too. Keep in mind that it would harass you about this even if you made absolutely no changes to the file in the external editor (it would pop up the warning & the file would have "unsaved" changes, even if you did nothing beyond sending it to BBEdit and then closing the file).

What about DW CS5's HTML5/CSS3 plug-in?

• Is this just a well-timed political gimmick to divert attention from the fact that Adobe's been asleep at the wheel (DW CS5 should've been ALL about HTML5/CSS3, one could argue) and taking it on the chin for pushing Flash so hard in the face of Apple's embracing of standards?
                                • If it's actually useful, how?
                                • Seems like something they've glued on at the last minute to say, effectively, "see? we care about standards, too!"

Yes, I know I could download demos; I feel like I've spent enough time on this company's products, and I'd just like to hear from others who've felt the pain.

PS: somebody please glare sternly at the DW CS4 QA lead for me? Please?

• 13. Re: DW CS5 – what's the initial feedback / response?
                                  V_RocKs Level 1

I love it when people try to sound important. The latest minor updates fixed 80% of the issues I reported about DW, PS, I and Bridge. I have also been working back and forth with various developers via Email on fixing the remaining 20%.

Asketh and thou shall receive.

• 14. Re: DW CS5 – what's the initial feedback / response?

I think you've misinterpreted my post.

Not trying to sound important. Just stating facts.

Curious how Adobe issued a DW CS5 update within 12 weeks of launch yet nothing for widely documented bugs in DW CS4 throughout the entire CS4 cycle. I wonder what has changed at Adobe.