7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2016 8:01 PM by michellep135897

Faded or Gradient images not rendering properly when Saving As PDF

Drew_Anderson Level 1

Saving an Office document from PowerPoint, Word, Excel, etc. as a PDF prodcues what is seen below. The example is an image from a Power Point Presentation. The issue is that the faded/gradient backgrounds of the image are not being converted properly to the PDF.

This is the Original image within the PPT:

Original from PPT.jpg

This is the Screen Shot from the PDF after it has been converted:

PDF Issue.jpg

We have done a lot of debugging and found a temporary solution which is downgrading to Adobe Reader 8.1.1. No higher version of Reader works. Same results with Arocbat. However, due to the number of customers we have, we cannot tell them to downgrade their software. We also have changed the file type of the image to .TIF and a few others and pasted them back into the PPT for a temporary solution, but again this is not a viable solution due to the amount of documents and images that would need replacing. This happens on multiple OS's and mutlple versions of Office. I have contacted Microsoft and have gone through extensive investigation with them and concluded that this is an Adobe problem. I saw an article on www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat regarding online PDFs having this same problem to support my findings.

Adobe support has been no help on this and just tossed me around without even trying and then closing my case. The article mentioned above speaks of potential issues but not solutions. Has anyone found a permanant solution to this or know if Adobe is working on fixing this or any other advice?

• 1. Re: Faded or Gradient images not rendering properly when Saving As PDF
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You say you've "saved" as a PDF. Have you tried printing to the PDF printer? Also, with transparencies, you'll want to PDF version to be1.5 or higher (may be able to be 1.4 but I don't recall).

• 2. Re: Faded or Gradient images not rendering properly when Saving As PDF
            Drew_Anderson Level 1

Yeah, we have tried the "print to..." feature as well. Let me be more specific on the testing we did.

I had Adobe Reader 9.2, or whatever the latest was, and tried to view the PDF that was created from someone else. I believe that was created via SAVE AS. I asked the person what they had tried as far as creating it and they said they tried both SAVE AS and PRINT TO and they still had the bad images. The people in the office who have Acrobat usually use the PRINT TO option I'm pretty sure. After some trial and error testing on my end I decided to call Microsoft and see what they had to say and the tech agreed with me that it was Adobe's issue and it was the way Adobe rendered images as the cause. While working with the tech I tried uninstalling Reader 9 and downgrading to Reader 8 and that fixed it. Obviously not an acceptable solution as I mentioned. I have tested this on at least a dozen different machines with different OS's and all but one had the issue. The one that did not had Reader 8 and all others had Reader 9.I also tried installing Acrobat 6, 8 and 9 with one of them working correctly. I don't remember if it was 6 or 8 that worked correctly, I would have to check again.

• 3. Re: Faded or Gradient images not rendering properly when Saving As PDF
              shilpi Aggarwal Adobe Employee

Hi,

What is the output if in the Print dialog's Advanced dialog you set the color management as Printer Color Management?

Steps for Reader:

1. Open the pdf.

2. Open the print dialog (Ctrl + P)

3. Open the Advanced Print dialog (click the Advanced button on Reader print dialog)

4. Check the "Let Printer determine colors" control.

5. See if this fixes the issue (with Reader 9)

Steps for Acrobat:

1. Open the pdf

2. Open the print dialog (Ctrl + P)

3. Open the Advanced Print dialog (click the Advanced button on Acrobat print dialog)

4. In the color management panel in Advanced Print dialog, instead of Acrobat color management as the color handling, select Printer color management

5. See if this fixes the issue.

Thanks,

-Shilpi

• 4. Re: Faded or Gradient images not rendering properly when Saving As PDF
                Drew_Anderson Level 1

Your suggestion did not fix it but thank you for the attempt. To clarify once more, this is not an issue with the physical printing of the document. The PRINT TO PDF reference above is essentially the same as the SAVE AS PDF option.

I almost guarantee the problem lies with how the code handles these type of backgrounds/colors or whatever you want to call it. I am very much doubting there is a simple fix for this other than downgrading to Reader 8 or changing every document to proper images, which are NOT options. I am certain this requires a code change of some sort and I refuse to pay for a support contract for software that is 100% FREE to the public. Adobe has been nothing but a pain in the *** and just tossed me around with no help. Let me just say that Adobe has one of the worst customer service I have ever experienced and I really appreciate those of you who have at least tried to assist, because Adobe has not.

• 5. Re: Faded or Gradient images not rendering properly when Saving As PDF
                  spazzticklutz87 Level 1

I found this thread because I was having the same issue in Illustrator. I FOUND A SOLUTION, at least for me.

I work using PMS colors for everything, except on the rare occasion when I do a photo printed type of artwork which on occasion has a gradient. ALL of the swatches used to create a gradient MUST be of the same family. Meaning:

- if you create a gradient and you have an RGB color swatch AND a PMS color swatch. The PMS color vanishes when you open it in Illustrator.

In Illustrator it looks correct (even though a gradient using PMS colors looks...odd) but in Adobe Reader it is a problem. Attached is an image that shows my problem and my solution as clear as I can....I hope it helps some of you!Gradient Problem.jpg

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Faded or Gradient images not rendering properly when Saving As PDF
                    hazelowl Level 1

This is fantastically helpful!

I have been struggling with this problem of disappearing gradients when saving from illustrator to pdf for over a year.

And this is the answer!!! It works and is so simple.

Thank you so much for posting this.

There is no answer on the illustrator forum. It would be worth posting it there.

• 7. Re: Faded or Gradient images not rendering properly when Saving As PDF
                      michellep135897 Level 1

Solution - from Adobe site:

Gradient (Radial, Path, Linear, Rectangular) when applied on line in PPTX file is not honored in published output

Apply 1% shadow on the textbox or shape.

or

Saving those shapes as images on local disk and then insert it in required presentation slide

The second of those solutions worked - saved the shape as a png, then inserted the image into the slide. Saved the file as pdf, and it displays perfectly.