10 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2010 9:02 AM by lane22223333

DV input/ capture

lane22223333

Can someone advise me on what will be needed to set -up digital video work station w/G5 desktop using  Premier -speficallly what will I need to input /capture. Can I input directly from G5 DVD, will mini DV deck be necessary?Any advice,suggestions,insight regarding will be much appreciated.Thanks.

• 1. Re: DV input/ capture
          abugeorge

Hello, I am a Final Cut user, I learned on Premiere a few years ago but I think capturing is essentially the same. I don't believe you can capture from your computer's DVD drive. A DV deck is a great option but they can be expensive. It depends to on the format your using: DVCPro, Mini DV, HDV, etc.

Another option is using a camera but the downside is that it puts wear on the camera heads. If you're using just consumer Mini DV I have friends who just buy a cheap consumer DV camera and use that as their capture device and it works great; you could usually find them for under $200.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

• 2. Re: DV input/ capture
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If working from a mini-DVD, I would first Copy over the VOB to the HDD. Nearly all multi-drives can handle a mini-DVD just fine.

If you mean something totally different, just ignore my comments.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: DV input/ capture
              lane22223333 Level 1

thanks much for your reply and info.I've been doing some research and if Iam

understanding correctly I can tranfer from mini DV to a G-tech G drive (Raid

recommended?) then be able to capture -  any thoughts or suggestions much

appreciated could I maybe capture if mini DV transfer ed to data disc then

by way of cdr drive on G5?

thanks again!

Brad

• 4. Re: DV input/ capture
                lane22223333 Level 1

Hi Hunt,

Thanks much for your reply and info.I've been doing some research and if Iam

understanding correctly I can tranfer from mini DV to a G-tech G drive (Raid

recommended?) then be able to capture -  any thoughts or suggestions much

appreciated could I maybe capture if mini DV transfered to data disc then by

way of cdr drive on G5?

Thanks again!

-Brad

• 5. Re: DV input/ capture
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Brad,

Have a look here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2276441#2276441

You can't 'transfer' mini DV, only capture. You can't 'capture' from a disk, only transfer or ingest.

If you use the wrong words, this leads to misunderstandings.

The easiest, well the only way to use mini DV material is to capture over firewire to your disk. No need to complicate matters by burning the captured material to a DVD and then copy to hard disk. Unless I misunderstood you.

• 6. Re: DV input/ capture
                    lane22223333 Level 1

Thanks much for your reply.Much appreciated! Sorry about my ignorance on the

subject.Thanks to everyone's replies I now have a better understanding!

Thanks again to all!

-Brad

• 7. Re: DV input/ capture
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

In this case, there could well be two, very different formats:

miniDV which is tape and can be either SD (Standard Definition), or HD (High Definition)

mini-DVD which is a smaller DVD, and the material will be highly compressed, probably to an MPEG-2 CODEC, hence the VOB (Video Object container)

With miniDV tape, Harm is correct that one would Capture via FireWire and PrPro. With mini-DVD, then one could Copy the VOB over to the HDD (Hard Disk Drive), and then probably Import into the Project (CS4.2 & CS5). So long as that mini-DVD camera produces 100% DVD-compliant VOB's, then they should Import with no issues. Remember, however, that the MPEG-2 AV file, inside the VOB container, will have been heavily compressed, so much of the quality has been stripped out of it, to allow for smaller file sizes. Mini-DVD is really meant to be viewed on a DVD player, or from a multi-drive on a computer, though DVD software players. It is not really intended to be edited. It can be, but that quality hit will really start to show, when one later Exports the Project/Sequence from PrPro (or almost any NLE program).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: DV input/ capture
                        lane22223333 Level 1

Thanks Bill for sharing your knowledge and experience  - *very *helpful and

much appreciated!

Sincerely,

-Brad

• 9. Re: DV input/ capture
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Brad,

You are most welcome. I'm just trying to make sure that we have the exact material that you are working with, as the terms can be a bit confusing sometimes, and in that confusion, it would be easy to tell you the wrong way to do what you want - we would all hate to have that happen.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: DV input/ capture
                            lane22223333 Level 1

Hi Bill,

Indeed the terms can be a bit confusing to a novice! With your reply and my

research I am, little by little. gaining the insight needed.

Thanks again!

Have a good one.

-Brad