7 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2010 9:09 PM by the_wine_snob

Pan and Zoom in Premiere Elements

jcrystal76

Does Premiere Elements 7 offer a pan and zoom effect for photos that is identical to the Burns Effect? I know PE7 can generate a pan and zoom that moves the image, but is not similar to the Burns Effect.

• 1. Re: Pan and Zoom in Premiere Elements
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are dozens of pan & zoom presets for various sizes of photos in Effects/Presets.

If you resize the photos to 1000x750 pixels, as recommended in your FAQs, you can also use any of the presets in the custom package I created for Muvipix.com.

But ideally you should learn keyframing so that you can custom create your own.

I take you step-by-step through keyframing in my books, including my newest book.

I've also got a free article on Muvipix.com called Basic Keyframing as well as Keyframing Motion Paths.

Muvipix.com also includes one of the most knowledgeable, helpful Community forums you'll find on the Web. It's well worth checking out.

• 2. Re: Pan and Zoom in Premiere Elements
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            But ideally you should learn keyframing so that you can custom create your own.

I strongly suggest this route. Each image is unique, and should be treated as such. No Preset can determine the exact "subject" or your intent on handling that subject. AI has not advanced to that point yet, and possibly never will, as each photographer will handle a subject differently. Only the photographer will know exactly how each image should be treated. That is what Ken Burns became famous for, though he was not the photographer, he applied license as the editor.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - back when Ken Burns was still in middle-school, I was doing the same for several historical segments in a nurse recruiting film, featuring historical images from the hospital/nursing school. This was done on film, as digital was way in the future, and video tape was 2" only, with only cutting and taping together, for editing. We had to build "stages," and pull the still images below the camera, while an assistant ran the zoom, and another racked focus to account for any shift, while zooming. Tedious, and time-consuming, but highly effective. Unfortunately, though nominated for an Academy Award (Best Industrial Short), it did not make the cut to the final 3 (by a long-shot), so the treatment was later known as the Ken Burns Effect, and not the Bill Hunt Effect!!!!

• 3. Re: Pan and Zoom in Premiere Elements
              jcrystal76 Level 1

You the man, Bill! Key framing will be my new learning curve.

• 4. Re: Pan and Zoom in Premiere Elements
                jcrystal76 Level 1

Thanks, Steve. Keyframing it is!

• 5. Re: Pan and Zoom in Premiere Elements
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Keyframing is a tad abstract on first blush, but once one gets it, it will become the go-to for so many operations. I seldom bother with any Presets, as I choose to manually Keyframe for exacting control.

Steve's Basic Keyframing (linked in reply #1) is a great place to start. He covers the theory, and will bring you up to speed quickly. Once one understands the process, and finds out where the controls are located, the world of animating Effects will open up. Once you "walk through that door," you will never go back again. With a little planning and a few clicks, you can do almost anything.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Pan and Zoom in Premiere Elements
                    jean.johnson38@yahoo.com

PLEASE STOP SENDING ME ALL ADOBE, I HAVE 1022 EMAIL FROM YOU GUYS IF I NEED SOMETHING I WILL DOWNLOAD IT PLEASE STOP.

TO ALL ADOBE SERVICE

• 7. Re: Pan and Zoom in Premiere Elements
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Please stop shouting. That is very rude and indicates that one does not have good manners.

You are receiving e-mail notifications because YOU have subscribed to them. It is not anyone's fault in this forum.

This ARTICLE will help you discontinue the e-mail notifications.

These changes will have to be made by you.

Good luck, and please check your Cap-Lock key, as it must be stuck.

Hunt