8 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2010 11:17 PM by Mylenium

AE with Magic Bullet Looks Image sequence

samtobez

Hello,

I have Magic bullet looks installed in AE (CS4), it works fine on everything I bring into AE, except when I try apply the filter to a composition consisting of a image sequence (i.e series of still images).

I initially thought it was to do with the native size of still images I was importing but I've tried a variety of sizes, both RAW and JPEG.

The error I get is:

" An OpenGL error occurred while attempting to load the frame (OGLContext::CreateDestPBuffers: 10005) "

Any ideas?

Thanks

• 1. Re: AE with Magic Bullet Looks Image sequence
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What IS the native size of the images?  Sounds like the plugin can't cope with the size.

Try pre-composing the image sequence and setting the main comp to your output resolution.  Apply MB Looks to the precomp layer in the main comp.  That way, the plugin will only be processing the images at their output size, rather than their native resolution.

If your output is size is much bigger than 1080 lines, I wouldn't hold out much hope for MB Looks to deal with it.  As it is dependent on OpenGL for processing, I've found it quite flaky in very high resolutions.

• 2. Re: AE with Magic Bullet Looks Image sequence
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I agree with Andrew. The message sounds like it is trying to downsize the buffer and then fails because there's not enough graphics memory. It definitely comes from the plug-in itself. This is not an AE error message.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: AE with Magic Bullet Looks Image sequence
              samtobez Level 1

Hi Andrew,

I tried the pre-comp idea, applying the filter the 1920x1080 comp, what that resulted in was the comp going completely black?

As a test what I did was go back into light-room and export all the RAW's as JPEGs in exactly 1920x1080 size, then I selected the first image in that folder upon import so it would import all the files as an image sequence. This did allow me to apply the MB filter however now I'm applying it to JPEGS and the quality is not acceptable for broadcast.

I need to be able apply the filter on the RAW image sequence, otherwise I am repeating my old workflow.

Thanks

• 4. Re: AE with Magic Bullet Looks Image sequence

Do you use OpenGL in AE? If so, try to turn it off. This may free up enougth resources for Looks. With a suitable develop setting, you should also be able to convert the RAW files to 16bit TIFFs or PSDs for use in AE. I think you are seeing an unfortunate chain of things here - RAW converter being a program inside a program and using considerable memory in addition to the normal stuff plus AE, RAW converter and Looks competing for hardware acceleration resources...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: AE with Magic Bullet Looks Image sequence
                  DVDmike Level 1

I got the same message with look in CS5 on a layer with alpha.  I used the power mask tool in looks and it worked fine after that.  I am not really sure how to use this mask tool properly, but I just put it to the top and bottom of the frame and the effect was applied evenly to the entire frame and the error message went away.

• 6. Re: AE with Magic Bullet Looks Image sequence

Yes, Looks cannot handle Alpha. Therefore any such content should be pre-composed with a filled background. Using the power mask has probably merely enforced a slightly different chain of internal operations which avoiud the issue by claculating thze mask clipping.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: AE with Magic Bullet Looks Image sequence
                      samtobez Level 1

The issue has been solved - intermittently - , working sometimes and others not.

I tried the pre-comp idea again, and it worked, to ensure it was repeatable I tested it again and it did not. I restarted AE and it woldn't apply, I restarted my computer and repeated then it allowed me to apply the filter.

Again the issue is, import RAW image sequence, lay it onto a 1920x1080 comp, then create a pre-comp and apply the MB Looks filter on the pre-comp.

The recurring issue is sometimes after I put the MB Looks filter on the pre comp, the comp goes black?

• 8. Re: AE with Magic Bullet Looks Image sequence

Mmh, sounds like a generic OpenGL problem then, which would be to blame on Looks. Since they use their own code to address the graphics card, you may wish to take this up with their support. and of course stil ltry to fiddle with your driver settings/ installing newer/ different drivers. one combination is certainly bound to workit may jsut take notable time and effort to find it...

Mylenium