1 2 Previous Next 58 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2010 9:37 AM by eddiem100

Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?

eddiem100 Level 1

I just upgraded from Production Premium CS4 to Production Premium CS5.  Have Windows 7, 64 bit OS, 9 GB ram,

Intel I-7 quad 2.67 processors (over clocked to 2.90 ghz) with hyperthreading.  I have nothing of any real substance

operating on my system besides Adobe.  I have just loaded in a ton of DVC PRO HD 60 footage and am editing a 30 minute

program.  Once I am in Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5, it works fairly well, everything works well real time.  However, the moment

I click outside of Premiere Pro like to my desktop, then try to click back into Premier Pro, my screen goes white, Premiere Pro says

"not responding" in the title bar and everything freezes for about a solid minute.  CS 4 did not do this at all.  Anyone know what is happening?

Tks. eddiem

• 1. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
          elneptico Level 1

When I work on Premiere I am offline!, no antivirus software, windows updated but updating is off, windows defender off, firewall off I have only premiere installed on disk no other programs, second partition is dedicated to footage and there is  no problem with crashing.

My specs are much worse than yours.

• 2. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
            Harm Millaard Level 7
            Premiere Pro says "not responding" in the title bar and everything freezes for about a solid minute.  CS 4 did not do this at all.  Anyone know what is happening?

Actually, it is Windows saying that. Win7 is very quick with the not responding message.

Depending on how much time passed between switching away from PR and back and what you did in between, the time can vary, but my guess is that it is related to freeing up memory when inactive and regaining that memory after the inactivity. BTW, sometimes you may see the circle going round and round, but clicking somewhere in the timeline makes it disappear instantly and you can proceed with the edit. This problem was almost solved in the final release, but sometimes it may still rear its head.

• 3. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
              jeremy d. Level 3

This lag thing is a huge pain point for us internally as well. It's much better for me now, so you should see improvement in a future update.

• 4. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                eddiem100 Level 1

Thank you Harm for the info so far.   I appreciate it.  Seeing that this is an issue, let me give you a little more data than I might normally do in the hopes of helping to resolve this issue and possibly, you will be able to distill from this something of use for all of us.

I tried out what you said to do, clicking in the timeline first or even while the blue wheel is in motion, but it makes very little difference.  Let me give you a little more info.  As an attempt to have resolved this which I have not, I am essentially working offline and the problem still persists.  I have internet connection disabled, I have all anti-virus and firewalls turned off, I have gone through the task manager and have ended every single process not essential to running Premiere Pro CS5.

All it takes is for me to click on the desktop with nothing open and then click back to the Premiere Pro CS5 window whether it be in the timeline or anywhere and I get the blue circle going.  When I do what you say, even while the blue wheel is going, and I try to click on the timeline, the premiere pro window goes white with the blue wheel still going and locks up for at least a minute.

Some other outpoints that may be related to the same issue:

Additionally, when using the media browser and I double click on the P2 media thumbnails to bring the media to the source window, I get a long delay

to load the footage.  Usually about 10-15 seconds for EACH piece just to view it.  Needless to say, this makes editing essentially impossible. I have also tried settings on the memory preferences section changing between "performance" and "memory" not really knowing if that would have anything to do with it, but it didn't.

Another mysterious thing is that my editing tools window never shows up even, even when I reset the editing workspace (window-workspace-reset current workspace (with "editing" bulleted).  I have to manually open up the window and then drag and drop it back to its normal place each time.

Needless to say this is making the experience terrible.

I checked my loaded and running programs to further resolve this to make sure I did not have some unknown system drain, and happened to see I still had the old Production Premium CS 3 installed but not running, so I uninstalled that and it made no difference.  It hadn't been running anyway.

What is frustrating, Harm, is that my Premiere Pro CS4 was running great.  When I started working with P2 media on CS 4 on the same system, I had noticed a similar lag in loading P2 media which I thought was odd, but I NEVER had the delay and blue wheel and white screen clicking from one application to another.  The only time on CS4 I even experience a slow was when I had PPro4, AE4, AME4 and Encore 4 all opened at the same time!

Funny thing though, when I have Premiere Pro CS5 and AE CS 5 opened, AE runs fine, but Premiere seems to be hog and is just slow.  I never have a problem going in and out of the other Production Premium applications.

I am using an Asus computer, with Intel Core i7 processor 920 @ 2.67ghz.  I have standard overclocking software, and when I overclocked my processor to run as an i7-940-2.93 ghz, that lag on the loading the P2 media into the source window went away on CS4.

However, since being on CS5 it now does the same thing.

It is so bad that I thought I okay I will go back to CS 4.  However, now when I try to use CS 4, it is doing the same thing, yet this did not do that before installation of CS5!

Let me give you just one more bit of data in the hopes that it may help in resolving this.  The way I installed Production Premium CS 5 was first via

the trial software.  While that was downloading, I purchased the software and I installed the serial number at the time of installation.  The reason I mention this is that before I purchased it, I was interested in seeing if CS5 would handle a codec problem I was experiencing going from premiere pro to encore DVD ( this will be the subject of another thread) and I was assured by the salesman it would (it didn't) and that the trial software is fully functional!

Well, that is untrue, and the salesmen and the sales supervisors (spoke to them all) are very seriously misinformed.  The Trial version is NOT fully functional, however, you do not find out about it until you actually get the download page and then it clearly says in small print that encore and various HD codecs are not operational as well as some AE aspects on the trial version.

The reason I tell you this is that I don't know if installing via the trial software version makes any difference in how it sets up.

The significance of this is that I was told that Premiere Pro, After Effects and Encore build upon CS4 and you cannot uninstall CS 4 before loading the upgrade to CS5 nor should you uninstall it afterwards.

So this now possibly explains why the previous CS 4 I have on the system is also now responding just like CS5.  (I don't know if it makes any difference, but CS5 installed Premiere Pro, After Effects and Encore in the C:\Window\Programs folder yet all other components are installed in the C:\Windows\Programs(86) folder.  (My dynamic links work fine (so far) between Premiere and AE and Encore)

Okay, Harm, sorry I wrote so much but possibly this will help, and I hope there is something I can do immediately to resolve these serious delay (lag) issues.

PS:  I have three internal hard drives.  CS5 is installed on the C drive same as my OS and all my footage and premiere pro pjts are saved onto a different drive. Everything is 7200 rpm, 1TB,  Sata 3Gb/s..  Except the internal drive where the PrPro Pjts and footage are stored is 2TB , 7200 RPM and 6Gb/s.

• 5. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                  jeremy d. Level 3

-  Load the Editing workspace, and then do Reset Workspce, then the tools will reappear

-  The lag has nothing to do with the trial version

-  CS4 has no effect on CS5, and you don't need to have it installed to use CS5

• 6. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                    eddiem100 Level 1

Thank you for the info.  Did you do something or did something change that made it work better for you?

• 7. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                      eddiem100 Level 1

Tks Jeremy, yeah, I think we had some setting messed up, I reloaded several different workspaces, and reloaded the editing space, and the tools show up at the top of the window, not where we were used to having them but they are there.  Tku!

BTW, you mentioned you had a lag too, and that is better for you now.  Did you do something different?

• 8. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

This may be a halfway workaround.

You switched from PR to application A (for instance Firefox) to glance over the new posts in the forum, or get a news update, or whatever and at a certain moment you want to switch back to PR. If a couple of hours have passed, you get a relatively serious lag.

Workaround: Switch to PR. You see the circle. If you press the timeline, you see the Not responding message. Switch back to application A, Firefox in my example, and then, when the color of the PR screen returns to normal all the regaining of memory has taken place and the switch is instantaneous. It gives you the opportunity to glance over other posts.

I know, not ideal, but you should have seen how progress has been made already.

• 9. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                          Joseph_K Level 1

which graphic card do you have / is it on the approved list?

• 10. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                            jeremy d. Level 3

You didn't do anything wrong, it's just that when you modify a workspace, Premiere remembers what you changed, so when you open that workspace later, you still see your changes to it. That's the way it's designed to work.

I'd suggest that you save your custom workspace via New Workspace so that you don't have to constantly reset to see the original Editing workspace.

I have builds of Premiere that the public does not because we're working on updates.

eddiem100 wrote:

Tks Jeremy, yeah, I think we had some setting messed up, I reloaded several different workspaces, and reloaded the editing space, and the tools show up at the top of the window, not where we were used to having them but they are there.  Tku!

BTW, you mentioned you had a lag too, and that is better for you now.  Did you do something different?

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                              eddiem100 Level 1

Tks Harm, if it was worse than this I can't imagine!  I tried what you said while answering this post but it dosn't really work. Even though the screen

color changes (indicating memory is regained)  if while that happens I then click in another application (like this post) the blue wheel keeps going. And when I click on premiere again while the blue wheel is going, that is when it freezes up and goes white for another 60 seconds!  I can't even go to AE or media encorder and back without this happening.

But I am serious, I just click on the desktop and click back and premiere is down for 60 seconds.  I click

"computer" to open up a directory and it is down.  The blue wheel starts going, and when I try to click on the timeline

once the blue wheel is going, then it goes white.

I've checked for updates, and the Adobe server is showing none.

Harm, I seriously think I have to uninstall Production Premium CS5 and go back to CS4 until this issue is

resolved as I cannot work like this?

• 12. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                eddiem100 Level 1

Tks.  I have NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260.  It has 896mb memory.

• 13. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                  jeremy d. Level 3

Not yet

eddiem100 wrote:

I've checked for updates, and the Adobe server is showing none.
                                  • 14. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                    eddiem100 Level 1

Jeremy,  Thanks very much.  I really appreciate the straight info on that.  Someone just asked me about a graphic card, I don't know if that

is the problem and I just posted that info.

My gosh!  What would I have to do to trial the build that you are using?  Because I really can't work with it right now and I am in the middle of a big production.

Other options:  If I expanded my ram to 18 GB would that resolve it meanwhile?  Would a bigger graphics card resolve it?

I either need to resolve this issue quickly or I need to go back to CS4 until the updates come out.  Thanks so much!

• 15. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Jeremy is an Adobe employee who is working on Pr.

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
                                      • 16. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                        jeremy d. Level 3

You'll have to find employment at Adobe. I'll try to remember to add the "Adobe Premiere QE" at the bottom of my posts.

>> looks like Jeff's got my back <<

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble wth this; it seems your case is worse than most. I hope the advice in this thread can help you.

eddiem100 wrote:

My gosh!  What would I have to do to trial the build that you are using?
                                        • 17. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                          eddiem100 Level 1

LOL!  Although I wouldn't mind doing some extra work!  Yes, everyone has been quite helpful.  Tku for that.

But Jeremy, before I lose you, based on your experience working with this, I would appreciate your opinion on whether
                                          upping my RAM or changing my graphics card would assist in the current matter or not?  These are things I could causitively do, unless

there is a way to sign up for beta testing!  Tku!

• 18. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

The only thing I can suggest it to tune your system. I have the same processor and it is nowhere as laggy as you claim.

Run the http://ppbm4.com benchmark, it runs great with CS5 as well, and send me the results by PM and of course to Bill Gehrke as well. One of us or both will get back to you with suggestions on how to tune your system. FYI, my score is now 14.8 seconds.

Please post a screenshot from Process Explorer (not Task Manager) as well.  And have a look here: Windows 7 Service Configurations by Black Viper

• 19. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                              eddiem100 Level 1

Tku.  I am doing those steps now and will send soon.

• 20. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                                Joseph_K Level 1

<<Someone just asked me about a graphic card,>>

my own experience is that when I changed from an older quadro FX to the 1700 last year all issues with PP and Encore disappeared. now they want a 3800 for CS5. doesn't PP use the processing power of the card?

- joey

• 21. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

No and a $ 60 card often outperforms a FX 1700, as long as we are talking CS4.

• 22. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                                    eddiem100 Level 1

Harm, I just downloaded and did all your tests.  However couple problems and I've sent you a PM but I realize others may have the same issues I am having here.  I found plenty of references on your Benchmark program and the script folders.

First of all, I did NOT experience the issue I have been having working with your PrPro Pjt Benchmark file.  Hmmm?

Secondly, everything seemed to process fast enough.

But I am unable to run the script file!!!!!!

1. Okay, I don't know how to send the Process Explorer screen shot to you in a private message as the PM doesn't allow me to save a file and send it. So I have it as a png file so am attaching it below.  It looks like it is two pages long but it really one page and a little bit.  I just made two screen shots so you can see everything.

2. Your PPBM4 test is a little out of date for CS5.  I was able to run everything okay except the statistics.vbs script file.  I double click on it nothing happens, I put in a browser like you suggested on one of your other forums and it doesn't run.  The only way I could get it to start and give me the dialogue boxes was to hit the start button, type in "run", then type "cmd" then enter "cscript Statistics.vbs"  and THEN I would get the first dialogue box

asking for the location for the .m2v and .avi files.  I then entered the address for those (for me, it was G:\PPBM4\Outputs and then it asked me in a new dialogue box for the premiere pro preview files.  I typed in the address G:\PPBM4 but then I get error messages.  I tried typing in the full address including Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files, etc. etc. but I still get errors!

Help!

screenshoteddiem100.png

• 23. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Thanks for the info. I'll have a look and report back later.

2. In Explorer open the PPBM directory. You see the Statistics.vbs file. Double click on that file and it will start automatically.

Usually when on the first question you answer like E:\Video Projects\PPBM or similar, just copy that answer to question 2.

• 24. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                                        eddiem100 Level 1

Thanks Harm.  I finally resolved why Statistics.vbs would not run automatically.  For some reason windows 7 defaulted the program to open it with

notepad.  Once I realized that and searched a bit I found that the correct program to open a vbs file can be located at

C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe

(on one's computer) and when one is setting the default properties to open that vbs file they just navigate to that exe file and set the program as the Microsoft Console Based Script Host.   And then it works fine. A lot of confusing info out there, but that is the simplest!

Okay, so my overall performance came out fair.   Some things high, some things low.  I sent that info to you. Your computer was incredibly impressive.  My goodness!  For your info, when my computer was rendering and processing the files, I watched the performance levels on the Task Manager and the CPU never went beyond like 60% and the RAM usage was about 50% as well.  So it wasn't even trying to work hard!

One other thing I noticed though, this original problem from my thread did not occur with the ppro pjt file you sent me.  So I checked a bit further and opened up a couple other new ppro project files, new blank ones.  The problem did not exist with those either!

Based on earlier literature on premiere pro, it recommended doing many sequences in a project rather than creating new projects.  I have been doing this for the current project I am working on which is quite large and is dealing with about 1 TB of raw media throughout and the ppro pjt file is 37.8 mb with the media browser accessing p2 files.

So possibly that is the source of it?   Is this now majorly a RAM issue?

For now I am going to clean out the project and I am going to break it up into smaller Premiere Pro Pjts and based on what your recommendations are, i will do that as well.

So I look forward to your recommendations with all the other data I sent you.

• 25. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                                          jeremy d. Level 3

Good morning.

I wonder if you would have the same results if you closed all but one of your sequences.  This should reduce the work Premiere has to do to display your project. It "should."

Creating new projects seems like a huge hassle, but if you go that way, maybe try creating new projects and importing individual sequences from the original project.

eddiem100 wrote:

Based on earlier literature on premiere pro, it recommended doing many sequences in a project rather than creating new projects.  I have been doing this for the current project I am working on which is quite large and is dealing with about 1 TB of raw media throughout and the ppro pjt file is 37.8 mb with the media browser accessing p2 files.

So possibly that is the source of it?   Is this now majorly a RAM issue?

For now I am going to clean out the project and I am going to break it up into smaller Premiere Pro Pjts and based on what your recommendations are, i will do that as well.

• 26. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Check carefully if the following highlighted processes are really necessary. If possible, kill as many as possible, starting with the Sidebar, and NEVER enable that again.

16-5-2010 18-45-17.jpg

• 27. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                                              eddiem100 Level 1

Jeremy and Harm, Thanks guys for your answers.  I will respond a bit later as right now I have that system on an AE render.  Will try those things out and get back to you soon.  I think we are getting very close so I am very appreciative of your interest.

• 28. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                                                eddiem100 Level 1

Jeremy,  Thanks.  I tried closing all the sequences, there are about 8, and I did not see a noticeable improvement.   However, see my response coming in a moment to Harm, between a couple things I did manage to see an improvement after a series of changes, although not totally workable, it may give us the reason why.

• 29. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                                                  eddiem100 Level 1

Okay Harm and Jeremy, I systematically shut off every process you highlighted plus a couple more.  As I did so, I routinely checked to see if it would make any changes to the performance.  After shutting off every single one, plus a few more, I still did not see a noticeable change.

I then closed out every sequence in the project, and that did not make a noticeable change either.  I left one blank sequence open.

I closed the media browser, no real change.

Then I went through and made every single media file off lline.  I deleted a couple autosave files where I could without risking my project, each were

about 35 mb each.

The change in file size from the original project went from 34.4 mb to 28.9 mb.  (In the scheme of things, this is just not a lot of size?)

At that point, I finally noticed a change:    Clicking between PrPro and the desktop now only had a 4-5 second delay.  If I clicked to the desktop and then back again somewhere in the PrPro Pjt, I would get the blue wheel for about 4-5 seconds and no matter how many times I kept clicking in the PrPro Pjt I would not get a white screen.  This was an improvement over the 60 second delay I was getting earlier and the white screen.  But this basically makes the project unuseable.

My memory preference setting had been on "memory" the whole time.

Keeping all factors above the same, I changed my memory preference to "performance", renamed the project and reopened it to activate the memory setting change and that made no difference.

So, in summary, when I basically took all media off-line and shut off every single possible extraneous computer process, I reduced the delay from 60 seconds and pr pro suspending to a white PrPro screen, to a 5 second delay and no white screen.

It should also be noted that while Premiere Pro would delay or have a blue wheel, I could easily activate some other program or action on the dektop, in other words, the computer was not hogging up.  And the white screen would only occur within premiere, not the desktop or some other program.

All the media and the project itself is stored on a 2TB harddrive, which is 7200 rpm but 6gb/sec transfer rate.

Okay, so one question I would like to have answered is:  Is this something relating to hard drive or to RAM or processor?

Another is:  Would loading the project itself on a different drive from the media help matters?

The amount of media in the project itself and what premiere does with it is obviously a factor here and to be honest, as the projects themselves are so relatively small, I never thought that would be an issue!  But maybe I am wrong!

Okay, what is the prognosis?

Thank you.

• 30. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                                                    Eviex Level 1

I am experiencing exactly the same problems as eddiem100 (blue circle, Pr CS5 windows white-ing out).

It only seems to happen with P2 video.

The project I am currently working is using various video formats (P2, DV, WMV)

Fortunately, I have another PC with CS3 installed so while CS5 is thinking about things I switch to that and edit the non P2 video.

Not ideal but at least I can keep working.

Glitches and bugs are to be expected in new software, hopefully this problem will be resolved soon.

• 31. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                                                      eddiem100 Level 1

Thanks, Eviex.  I think you are correct that it has to do with the P2 media, particularly any volume of it.

I am hoping that there is something I can do meawhile to speed things up as I have several P2 projects

on the runway!

• 32. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                                                        eddiem100 Level 1

Hey Elneptico,  Question: Are you using P2 media in your project?

• 33. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                                                          eddiem100 Level 1

Well, Harm, I haven't heard from you in terms of what your final analysis is.

During the interim I upraded fdrom 9 GB to 18 GB ram and windows 7 professional. ( For those of you interested in adding more RAM be prepared to go to Windows 7 Pro as Windows Home Premium 7 only recognizes up to 16GB.)

However, unfortunately, this did nothing regarding the problem of Premiere Pro CS 5 being slow in response when moving in and out of the application.

What was your analysis after reviewing all the info?  It became so bad that the project we were working with, became quite big 300+ mb and Premiere Pro wouldn't even open it.  As soon the media started loading, screen would go white and basically crash.

Fortunately I've saved the work and made stripped down versions before I had to discard the entire project.  Now I am working in smaller projects

and I get the blue wheel every time with only one 30 second sequence in the timeline.

I never had this situaiton on CS4.  It seems this is a bug with the new release.

I called Adobe about it and spoke to their support personnel but they basically attributed it to possibly RAM and possibly graphics card?  The reason graphci card is that I have GE Force 260 GTX, and they have only  tested the Ge Froce 285 GTX. (along with some quadro's) so they officially have to recommend that and disclaim anything else.   However, I haven't gone for that yet myself.

Appreciate your response so I can close this issue.

• 34. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                                                            Eviex Level 1

It would be a bit annoying if it is a graphics card issue. The Adobe CS5 sysreqs only specify Quadros and the 285GTX for GPU/Mercury processing.

• 35. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                                                              Eviex Level 1

Still no answer to this problem?

I've had to go back to CS4 to work with P2 files.

• 36. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                                                                eddiem100 Level 1

There has been no definite answer, despite extensive tuning of my system and making sure it is running with high performance, I still had the problem.

The P2 files defnitely load the system and make it almost impossible to edit with a large project.  There is a definite bug here. Plus I have found that

the P2 files also get corrupted in the timeline and when trying to export to an NTSC DV file, they also get corrupted with extreme artifacting and horizontal flickering despite using the deflickering options.

Additional bug:  the P2 files do NOT color correct well in the timeline and almost any use of effects in the timeline cause them to get corrupted.

The only solution to this was a workaroud to load the troublesome files into After Effects and export as AVIs and be sure to right click on the files in the timeline and use deflickering.  This is all with P2 media, DVC PRO HD.

However, I  found a couple points that sort of help for some sort of workaround with the 30 minute pgms I am working with:

1) There is currently a minor update for PrProCS 5 - 5.01, not addressing this problem specifically, but it did seem to help.

2) I deleted all preview files which were becoming enormous.  My mercury playback was not enabled initially and large preview files were

created which was one of the primary causes for me eventually not being able to even open the project!   However, when I basically stuck with MPE and not rendering files, it improved.  (My Mercury Playback was not engaged initially as I have an Nvidia GTX 260 GPU which is not readily recognized by CS5 as a graphics card.  However, there is a workaround for this as well which is also covered in many threads and I currently now have this graphics card enabled for MPE and it IS dramatically faster and knocked out the continous preview file creation.)

3) Where I could, I exported my P2 files and converted to AVI files.  Tried many options such as Cineform,etc. but the best was a simple export from AE.

4) I deleted all unnecesary p2 files in project but this creates an inconvenience of not having them there when you need them..

5) I fortunately have not had to edit a program yet beyond 30 minutes, but I think it will be very difficult without the bugs fixed using P2 media.

Anyway, it is not a solved problem by far and it requires keeping your project way down in size to even manage it.

And if you have experienced trying to export to DV Tape for some reason, well, the Mercury Playback Engine will not allow you to do that

while it is set for hardware - you must set it for software and you then have to re render your sequence.  There are many threads on this so you'll have to check it out.

So there are a few issues and I seriously hope the updates come out FAST. And maybe some of this will help for now.

• 37. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                                                                  sacha_G Level 1

Hello,

This is my number one issue with Premiere now. Whilst I don't specifically know the reason I can hazard a guess from behaviour, and it seems to be related to the old issue of why Premiere stops playback when you switch applications - it releases resources and file handles so that other apps can modify files and do there stuff.

The problem with this is Premiere will have now no idea if you go and modify one of your files contained in the project,so when you return back to Premiere it *seems to* have to check *every*single*file* in your project to see if it's changed. If you have several thousand clips (which isn't unusual), that's a lot of checking - if they are P2 MXF files, multiply that by six or more as there are separate files for the audio and video - so more files in the project, the longer the wait - and add on top of that all the preview and conform files.

On a super low latency RAID this probably isn't much of an issue - if though, like me you have a NAS then welcome to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz city.

Notice that if you flip between other production suite apps this doesn't happen.

Like I said, it's a guess ...

Excluding unused clips in the Project Manager settings and creating a new project will almost certainly help but that's usually only any use once you're more than halfway through an edit.

See also this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/634734

I'm encouraged by the last post, so would like a fix SOON, pretty please.

Sacha.

• 38. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                                                                    eddiem100 Level 1

Unfortunately, I have yet to see any updates or corrections to Premiere Pro CS 5 that addresses these problems.

.

• 39. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5 slower on my system than Premiere Pro CS 4?
                                                                                      shooternz Level 6
                                                                                      On a super low latency RAID this probably isn't much of an issue - if though, like me you have a NAS then welcome to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz city.

You edit from a NAS.!   You get what you deserve for being stoopid.

BTW- P2 mxf edits like butter in CS4, CS5.   They are a delight to CC / grade.  Anyone having issues with this media needs to take a proper look at their systems , hardware and setups.

CS5 on Win 7 is significantly faster than any previous PPRo iteration by many factors.  Be assured ...the software is not to blame.

1 2 Previous Next