7 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2010 2:59 PM by the_wine_snob

Error when trying to add Narration to my Project

wongbo Level 1
      Error when trying to add Narration to my Project

Hi I am trying to add Narration to a project I have created but whenever I hit the record button it counts down 3,2,1 and then an error is reported and Elements shuts down. I am using Elemnts 8.0 on a Win 7 machine though the same happened with the same project on a Vista PC also.

The error reads:
      Premiere Elements has encountered an Error:
      (\..\Src\Win\Winfile.cpp-722)

I have tried recording with a USB head-set mic and then a normal desktop mic plugged into the sound card but get the same error each time.

Can anyone suggest what I should do - any help appreciated - thanks
        • 1. Re: Error when trying to add Narration to my Project
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

See if the FREE Sound Editor Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ will allow you to record... save as a WAV file... then import that into PreEl

• 2. Re: Error when trying to add Narration to my Project
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

USB microphones usually don't work with the narration feature.

Otherwise, go to Windows Update (click Custom if you're using XP) and ensure you have all of the updates, even the non-critical ones.

You may need to update your audio card's driver from the card's web site (which may not be the same as your computer's manufacturer's site) or even update the RealTek drivers.

• 3. Re: Error when trying to add Narration to my Project
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree Steve. Few USB mics seem to work with PrE, or PrPro, for myriad reasons.

My choices would be:

1.) get a direct connection mic (a good narrow cardioid mono would be my choice for narration)

2.) do the narration in a program like the great, free Audacity, and then Import that PCM/WAV file into PrE. I would set this up to be 48KHz 16-bit.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Error when trying to add Narration to my Project
                wongbo Level 1

Hi Bill (and Steve)

Thanks for the tip on the Audacity software I will give that a try - I guess you just run the video project along with hitting the record button on the Audacity osftware to line the narration upo with the video - would that be how you would do it?

I will also try updating the drivers for the sound card though it is weird as I recently completed a bigger project than this one on the same PC. Just seems something strange is happening to this project. I am using a desktop mic - not great quality but it works.

Thanks Again

• 5. Re: Error when trying to add Narration to my Project
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For playback, PrE would need focus, or it will just pause. For doing the recording in another app, I would Share/Export a "reference file and then just play it in WMP, VLC, etc. These players do not need focus, and you can use Audacity to do the recording, while watching the player.

I do similar, when scoring my music in Sonicfire Pro 5 Scoring Edition. I use a reference file, that has the Audio & Video (does not need to be high rez, so I will often just Export to the simplest format/CODEC for the purpose. I score to that, and just Delete the reference file, and Import the PCM/WAV Exported from Sonicfire Pro 5. Though there is the one intermediate step (generating the reference file), it works seamlessly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Error when trying to add Narration to my Project
                    wongbo Level 1

OK - that makes sense! Thanks for taking the time to help out

struggling newbies like me! Much appreciated

Andrew

• 7. Re: Error when trying to add Narration to my Project
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Andrew,

That is what we enjoy doing - almost as much as editing!

Many of us have either committed every possible error (that would be me), or have found workarounds for almost everything (or read about it).

While I use a non-USB mic, my Sonicfire workflow is not that different, from what you need to do. The one difference is that Sonicfire Pro has a "player" built into it, and you will be using separate player to observe your reference file. Now, when I record in Adobe Audition, I do the same thing, but just use the built-in Video player in Audition. Same principle though.

Good luck,

Hunt