3 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2010 4:05 PM by Chuck A. McIntyre

Troubleshooting! Some experiences...

Harm Millaard Level 7

Every once in a while we all encounter problems.

Here is what happened to me and I can only blame myself, I should have thought about the outcome earlier.

I pulled out my HD4870, bought a GFX-480,  installed it and figured I could use two 6 pin PCIe cables. Not so, hence the three beeps when booting. Exchanged the  card and remarked that I had tried it with two 6 pin cables, so they  gave me a 8 pin PCIe cable. Installed the new card and connected the 8  pin and the 6 pin cable, tried to start and nothing, not even a fan moving.

Called  the supplier of my components and they expected it to be either the PSU or the mobo. I had to give them the bare components and not bring in  my system, so I took my system apart and took the PSU and the bare mobo  (without memory, or CPU cooler) to them and they tested both. Mobo  failed, so I got a new one. Reassembled everything, pressed the ON button and NOTHING, just like before.

Called  the supplier again and this time I convinced them to bring my whole system without the disassembly. Brought it in.  They removed the raid  controller and the video card, used their own video card and the system  started. They inserted the raid controller with their video card and it  started, so the suspicion was the video card. This was a brand new card that had not been used once. Tested it with their own power supply and the video card worked, so the  next culprit was my PSU, but it tested ok. Finally is appeared to be the  8 pin cable I had been given and exchanging just that cable was the  solution. Video worked, raid controller worked, just as it had always done previously.

Came  home with my system, turned it on and found a missing disk in my array. During install/uninstall/install/transport of the various components the  power connector got loose on one disk, so my array was degraded.  Rebuilt the array (took 4:30 hours) and everything appeared to work.  Only the BIOS settings to adjust, but then Windows needed reactivation because of the new mobo/video card. Done and on to  installing the latest nVidia driver and utilities.

Try  the hack and no, it does not work. Only after a complete uninstall of CS4 does it work. And then reinstall another CS4 program to reenable Acrobat.

The moral of the story (I can for not thinking about this earlier) is that when you have a problem, carefully consider all the changes made to your system in order to identify the potential causes. Service technicians do not have that knowledge, only you.

Had I considered the stupid cable as a possible cause of my problems, it would have been solved in 5 minutes, now it took me 2 days with the disassembly, and assembly and all the intermediate steps in my rather crowded system.

I consider myself lucky that I did not lose any data, even my mobo raid still worked, but it was a lousy experience.

• 1. Re: Troubleshooting! Some experiences...