21 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 12:07 PM by trevorguitar

want swf to start playing immediatley

symbolized_bar_code Level 1

I have a flash catalyst file that includes a small swf file I created in pro. My catalyst file only has one page (really just used it because getting the rollover effect on a button was going to be so easy). Is there way to make it play this file as soon it opens? Right now it just sits there because I cant add swf controls except at transitions, and I cant have transitions without a second page.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley
          ccappsdigmark

I'm having the same problem. I did not have this issue with the beta version of catalyst. Not sure what the difference is. Have you resolved this yet?

Thanks

• 2. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley

nope. I have a feeling a feeling it is going to need to be done using action script. Feels like we should be able to get this done without it though.

• 3. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley
              Kim Isola Adobe Employee

Hi,

Here in info in Flash Catalyst help, for creating "On Application Start" interactions:

You can create an action sequence that plays automatically when someone starts the application. To create an On Application Start interaction, make sure that nothing is selected in the artboard when you click Add Interaction. The actions you define occur as soon as the application starts.

There is also a graphic that shows the interaction set up to play a SWF (at bottom of page here):

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flashcatalyst/cs/using/WS4bebcd66a74275c3-326fcb52123816c0204- 7ff0.html

Hope this helps. Thanks for posting!

-Kim

• 4. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley

Hi Kim,

Thanks for replying. I have been through that page a couple of times since you posted, but it (and me, or maybe just me) seems to be missing a step. Just like you said I made sure I had no artwork selcted on the stage, I went to interaction, and was now able to add a play action sequence on start.

From there I am lost though. Since I didnt have anything selected there is nothing in the timeline, just a big gray area in the middle that says empty action sequence. I have "On Application Start" on the left hilighted, but cant seem to add anything to it. Going to start looking that now, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley
                  ccappsdigmark Level 1

I got it to work!

With nothing selected: 

Add interaction/On Application Start/ Play Action Sequence

Then once in the time line select the swf and Add Action.

• 6. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley

too funny, I just got it to work too. was doing a quick second one to make sure I could do it again before I posted when your message popped up. Thank you both for the help!

• 7. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley
                      Kim Isola Adobe Employee

Glad it worked for both of you-- your posts made us realize we need to clarify that help instruction and graphic a bit more, so thank you! Feel free to comment directly on the help pages if you find anything unclear, it really helps us to continually improve the instruction with input from the community. Thanks again for posting.

-Kim

• 8. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley
                        Sylviee223

I don't get it!

I looked at the image under "On Application Start interactions"

& I'm trying to follow it, but it doesn't explain anything.

without having anything selected, i clicked "add interaction" & then i dont know wether to click "play video" or "play transition to state" (it's just a .swf flash image) & i dunno what i did but under action sequences in timeline it does say "on application start" but thats it! the timeline thing says "Empty Action Sequence" & i dont know what to do. this is rediculously confusing for such a simple thing. what do i do?

• 9. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley
                          Kim Isola Adobe Employee

Hi Sylviee223,

You use an interaction (On application start) to trigger the action of playing a SWF.

To do this:
                          -Import your SWF to your FC project
                          -Make sure nothing on the artboard is selected; click Add interaction (on the Interactions panel)
                          -Make sure "On application start" is chosen in first menu.
                          -In second menu, choose "Play action sequence"; this creates an empty action sequence for you in the timeline
                          -Now select your SWF on the artboard, and click Add action (in the timeline); from the Add action menu choose SWF control/Play. This assigns the 'Play SWF' action to your SWF.

Let me know if that clarifies. We are adding additional text to support that help graphic. Thanks very much for posting.

-Kim

• 10. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley

I hadnt even looked at this since I got it to work, but was able to do it again fairly quickly. Here is what I did-

1. With no artwork selected go to interaction

First drop down box pick - On Application Start

Second drop down box pick - Play Action Sequence

That should make an action sequence apeear on your timeline

2. Make sure that action is hilighted, then select your swf asset. This part was a problem for me at firtt because of how i created my swf file. It was the exact same size as my movie 250 x 250, and I had a background layer in Illustrator the same size. I ended up locking all my layers except the on with the swf on it to be able to select it.

With that now selected and the action sequence still hilighted go to add action >> swf control >> play - play()

hopefully that does the trick for you.

• 11. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley
                              Sylviee223 Level 1

so it was pretty difficult to follow the instructions.. i am a total newbie at this!

if there were a video tutorial, i'm sure this wouldn't even be an issue.

but i did it, & i've tried both "play" & "go to frame & play" & it looks like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/snowangel223/Screenshot2010-05-20at72539PM.png?t=12 74409209

which seems all dandy, BUT IT STILL DOESN'T WORK! My logo just sits there like a bumb.

ps- thanks for the quick replies.

• 12. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley

You got me on this one. It looks like it should work as far as I can tell but I am definitley not an expert. The only thing I can think of is if there is some scripting in the swf file telling it to stop, or maybe if it was an AS2, I dont believe they are comaptible.

Also I can tell you I went through all the tutorials at Lynda.com and it didnt go into this. Or at least not that I can recall. I went back again looking for it when I ran into the problem and still came up blank.

• 13. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley
                                  Kim Isola Adobe Employee

Hi Sylvlee223,

Sorry to hear this is confusing. Thank you for including the screenshot, it does look like you've set the action up properly. Two more suggestions:

-I know this is one may be terribly obvious, but I just wanted to double-check that you are running the project (File>Run Project) to preview the SWF playing?

-symbolized_bar_code is correct, only SWF content written in ActionScript 3.0 and published using Adobe Flash Professional is controllable in Flash Catalyst. Is your logo SWF perhaps written in ActionScript 2?

Regards,

Kim

• 14. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley
                                    trevorguitar

Hi, I've read this entire forum post and I cannot figure out why my swf file will not play when I "run" my project to preview it.  I've done all the steps you all have talked about and I have confirmed that my file is AS3 and Flash Proffessional (it may have been CS3...does that matter?).  Anyways, this SWF file is something I purchased because it was highly too complex for me to develop (it's an mp3 player with playlists).

The SWF file previews great in Flash Player, I just need to know why it won't work in Catalyst because I was planning on designing my site with Catalyst.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

• 15. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley

hmm, not sure what to tell you on this. is there way to post screenshots right now or is that part of the whole attachments disabled deal? if you can it might be helpful. what does the swf look like in Catalyst (not run project)? Like frame one of your flash artowrk artwork? or does it just give a  little flash symbol and a box? And does your timeline look like the one from the link above? I know you said you did everything like above, just trying to figure it out.

• 16. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley
                                        Bear Travis Adobe Employee

Hi Trevor,

Are you having trouble getting your swf to play in Catalyst? There are some restrictions on what kind of .swfs can be played in Catalyst. If you could send me your swf file, I can take a look at it.

Easiest way to get the file to me is to post it at a site like acrobat.com or google docs, and PM me the link. If that doesn't work, we can work something out over PM.

-Bear

• 17. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley
                                          trevorguitar Level 1

Hey thanks a lot for the quick replies...this has been bugging me ever since I started working on this project.  Here is a screenshot of what the swf looks like in catalyst.  It looks the very same when you "run" the document in the browser.  And Bear, I will work on getting those files to you later tonight...it might be a couple of hours before I can get to it unfortunately.

Thanks again!

Trevor

Picture 4.png

• 18. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley
                                            trevorguitar Level 1

Hey Bear,

I actually was able to upload it right now so here is the link below.  I was using the swf file from the source folder when I imported into catalyst.

https://acrobat.com/#d=l6wxL6bA*Xz*lZ5W462tRQ

• 19. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley
                                              trevorguitar Level 1

anybody find out what was wrong with my swf?  I posted it above.

• 20. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley
                                                Bear Travis Adobe Employee

Hi Trevor,

The problem is that your swf is data driven, meaning it needs access to all the other files that accompany it in the sources folder (particularly albums.xml).

There are a whole bunch of investigations into this issue, and this one is particularly in depth:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/528281

What you should do:

1. Rename your swf from Main.swf to something else, because you're going to be digging around a bunch and it doesn't hurt to avoid name conflicts with Catalyst's generated swf.
                                                2. When you preview or publish, put all the files in your "sources" folder where Catalyst puts your imported swf. If you run your project, you can see this root folder in the top url bar.
                                                3. For most cases, that'll get you going. For your particular case, you may need to try dropping those data files alongside Catalyst's Main.swf as well.

If you preview or publish, just place the xml and data files in the same location relative to Catalyst's Main.swf.

-Bear

• 21. Re: want swf to start playing immediatley
                                                  trevorguitar Level 1

Hey Bear,

I got it to work!!  Thanks so much.

I was wondering if there is any way to make the pages within the Catalyst project have different URL's like for instance:

www.google.com and then change to www.google.com/email

...or something along those lines.  Right now it looks like it will just be one swf file that allows you to navigate through the pages but doesn't change the URL in the browser.  I would appreciate any advice or help you can offer.

Thanks again!

Trevor