1 Reply Latest reply on May 16, 2010 7:28 AM by the_wine_snob

Editing Full HD for output to both HD and SD resolutions

Bella Oxmyx

Am I approaching this the best way for editing videos and having maximum flexibility with them in the future?

Specs-

Camera: Canon PowerShot SX1 IS Still/Video camera
      Full HD  1920 x 1080 (30 fps), H.264 saved as .mov files.

Computer: Intel E8400 CPU, 8GB RAM, Vista 64-bit,
      NVidia GForce 8500 GT graphics card

Software: Premiere Elements 8

I hope I am taking the right approach to this, and welcome any suggestions on how to do things better-

I'm getting Full HD video from the camera described above; When I edit videos, they can have many different purposes, both for now and later in the future. In most cases I think  the same edit would be suitable for multiple purposes (such as needing to output a PAL DVD version, an NTSC DVD version, a full HD (Blu-Ray) version, or maybe even an upload to YouTube.

I'm thinking that my best approach is to edit these videos in the highest resolution possible, creating a "master" of the highest resolution that I can use to then output at lower resolutions (if needed) to the desired format. Is this generally the best approach?

So now to my specific questions:

1. Project Settings for a New Project: I'm assuming either "NTSC-AVCHD Full HD 1080i 30" or "NTSC-Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorder HD 1080i" would give me the highest resolution to the "Master" I'm creating?

2. What's the difference in these two choices above?

3. When installing PrE 8, it asks you if you are in a PAL or NTSC area. I assume this is just for establishing a default format, but is meaningless if you change the Project Settings (noted in item 1 above) for the type of project you're working on?

4. Is my camera (with the specs noted above) yielding 1080P, or 1080i video?

5. If the camera is yielding 1080P, is there a way to capture that with PrE 8? Or is 1080i as high as I can work with on PE 8?

Thanks for any input!

• 1. Re: Editing Full HD for output to both HD and SD resolutions
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Bella,

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, you have posted to the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, which is a repository for articles on how to do things in an NLE. Few people read here, unless they are looking for some specific tip, or trick. Maybe our MOD, Steve Grisetti, the famous author of many books on PrE, will move this to the main forum, where you will get many more responses.

Now, the idea of doing an HD "master" Project for HD and SD output is a good one. The drawback, however, is the down-rezzing of the HD material to SD is not the best in PrE (or even PrPro). The ultimate workflow would b to do both an SD and an HD Project, and let the camera do the down-rezzing from HD to SD, if it allows for this, as the quality will be better. Two drawbacks: many cameras do not do this, and it means two Projects and twice the editing.

Now, this ARTICLE links to Jeff Bellune's tutorial on doing the down-rezzing with a few other utilities, all of which I believe are free. The tutorial is aimed directly at PrPro CS4 as the NLE, but the workflow can be adapted to PrE, with a bit of work.

Many users feel that the down-rezzing algorithms in PrPro (and PrE), are not the best, hence the desire to use other methods and programs. Some feel that the down-rezzing is not THAT bad, and save the extra steps in the outlined process.

The above are just some thoughts, and when the post is moved to the main forum, you are likely to get many more responses and suggestions.

Good luck,

Hunt