6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2006 10:49 PM by Newsgroup_User

Opening Older files in MX2004

Cheryl_Pirih
      I have tried to open older files that I built in Fireworks 4 on MacOS 9. I am now using Mac OSX and Fireworks MX2004. When I try to open any of the archived .png files I get a message "can't open file, enternal error". I have a whole website built in the older version and can't get anything to open. I have even tried importing. Help I'm in trouble if I can't get these to work. Any ideas?
      '
        • 1. Re: Opening Older files in MX2004
          Level 7
          Cheryl Pirih wrote:
          > I have tried to open older files that I built in Fireworks 4 on MacOS 9. I am
          > now using Mac OSX and Fireworks MX2004. When I try to open any of the archived
          > .png files I get a message "can't open file, enternal error". I have a whole
          > website built in the older version and can't get anything to open. I have even
          > tried importing. Help I'm in trouble if I can't get these to work. Any ideas?

Have you removed any fonts since those files were created?

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: Opening Older files in MX2004
            gonky
            Cheryl - did you ever get this figured out? I am in a similar situation - I've been a Fireworks user since it was in beta version - I've been using Fireworks 3 in OS 9 for quite some time now. I now have a new Intel-based Mac and will be getting the newest Fireworks but have been unsuccessful from getting info from Adobe (by phone or via their customer support email) whether there will be issues like you are experiencing. Also, I've been trying to determine whether I can purchase the upgrade or need to get the full version.

Were you ever able to open the old files with the new Fireworks? I've got a TON of files created in Fireworks 3 that I will still need to access.
            • 3. Re: Opening Older files in MX2004
              Cheryl_Pirih Level 1
              I have gotten a new computer, so yes I guess I have changed fonts. The old computer is OS 9, the new OSX. I can open the older version of Fireworks in Classic but when I try to manipulate the files it crashes. I upgraded to the MX2004 because it performs better in the OS X environment but can't open the older version files.
              thanks
              • 4. Re: Opening Older files in MX2004
                gonky Level 1
                Have you removed any fonts since those files were created?

Hello Linda -- I will soon be using Fireworks 8 to work on new as well as old files that were created in Fireworks 3 on Mac OS 9. Are you saying that if you do not have the exact same font set, you will encounter problems opening old files? Or is there more to it? My new Intel-based Mac will no longer even run OS 9, so there's no telling what else might be in store here. I have TONS of files done over the years using Fireworks 3.

Bottom line question is - will Fireworks 8 allow me to continue working with older files originally created in Fireworks 3?
                • 5. Re: Opening Older files in MX2004
                  Level 7

"gonky" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:ehovg3$t96$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Have you removed any fonts since those files were created?
                  >
                  > Hello Linda -- I will soon be using Fireworks 8 to work on new as well as
                  > old
                  > files that were created in Fireworks 3 on Mac OS 9. Are you saying that if
                  > you
                  > do not have the exact same font set, you will encounter problems opening
                  > old
                  > files? Or is there more to it?

Check for missing and corrupted fonts.

My new Intel-based Mac will no longer even run
                  > OS 9, so there's no telling what else might be in store here. I have TONS
                  > of
                  > files done over the years using Fireworks 3.
                  >
                  > Bottom line question is - will Fireworks 8 allow me to continue working
                  > with
                  > older files originally created in Fireworks 3?

I don't remember having any problem with opening files created in early
                  versions of FW in FW 8, though to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I still
                  have any that old. All I can tell you is to give it a try.

Linda R.
                  ---------

• 6. Re: Opening Older files in MX2004
                    Level 7
                    "Linda Rathgeber" <lightly@sc.rr.com> wrote in message
                    news:ehp1l5$2h3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >
                    > I don't remember having any problem with opening files created in early
                    > versions of FW in FW 8, though to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I
                    > still have any that old. All I can tell you is to give it a try.

It is possible, if you post a URL to one of the files, that someone else may
                    be able to tell you why it can't open or maybe tell you if it will open in
                    an intermediate version of FW.

HTH,
                    Tony