7 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2010 11:30 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

Not allowing me to modify anything but .ai files?

mike3667

Whenever I open an image I did on photoshop, it doesn't let me do anything to it. I can't erase, brush on it, anything. Is there a way to fix this?

• 1. Re: Not allowing me to modify anything but .ai files?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

No. There's nothing to fix because nothing is wrong. AI is not a bitmap editing program! Any operations will have to be in PS. In AI, you can only define clipping masks for pixel images and any brushing will have to happen on a separate layer above the image.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Not allowing me to modify anything but .ai files?
            mike3667 Level 1

I have tried to open a new layer over it, but no luck. It still doesn't let me do anything. I want to add a brush effect that I forgot to add, but I already edited the image on photoshop now I can't do anything.. Some guide online says the reason is it's because AI is simply linking to the image, and that I need to embed it. But that doesn't work either..

• 3. Re: Not allowing me to modify anything but .ai files?
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Mike,

What happens if you use the original PS (.psd) file?

In addition to what Lutz said, you can also Object>Envelope Distort, although irrelevant here.

Illy is no more able to change the individual pixels of a raster image than is any of us.

• 4. Re: Not allowing me to modify anything but .ai files?
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Mylenium and Jacob gave you the correct information but it appears you did not quite relate to it as it was intended.

You can not edit the raster image file in Illustrator you have to open it in Photoshop. If you do not have a workstation that has a
                copy of Photoshop installed available you can download the trial version which works for 30 days. Do your work there and then place the
                re place the file in the Illustrator document.

What you want to do cannot be accomplished in Illustrator but can be in accomplished in Photoshop.

After you do this it will be apparent to you that you need photoshop as well as Illustrator installed on your computer for this work flow.

• 5. Re: Not allowing me to modify anything but .ai files?
                  mike3667 Level 1

Alright then. I guess I'll just have the get used to doing everything I need to do on Illustrator before opening the file on photoshop. Thanks for the help guys.

• 6. Re: Not allowing me to modify anything but .ai files?
                    Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

For my part you are welcome, Mike.

But I though it all started with Photoshop, then Illy. There may be more options for your working across the applications than this thread may seem to imply, so far.

• 7. Re: Not allowing me to modify anything but .ai files?
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Well yes and no if you link the photoshop file then you can always go back to the linked image from the links panel to edit the original and then after doing more work in Photoshop and saving the file it will update in your illustration document without the need to re import it.

You can also do the opposite in Photoshop where you can place the Illustrator file in a Photoshop file as a smart object which gives you the opportunity of editing the smart object in Illustrator and have it automatically update in Photoshop or open the Illustrator file as a Smart object in Photoshop to also have this auto update feature.

You can even work with Illustrator files that have linked images as Smart Objects placed in Photoshop. After modifying the linked file and saving it, if you relink it in Illustrator, even though it was updated, then it will also update the smart object in Photoshop, for some reason it will not update smart object by simply saving the modified linked file you have to relink in order for the smart object to update. I think this was an oversight or something tht was not thought of at the time of implementation.

This would be a good workflow for you and you should look at the tuorials on smart objects. And Linked files.