14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2006 3:00 PM by Newsgroup_User

PHP ... is this really the best way to go?

MrS
      I've set myself the summer project of learning PHP. In the process of wading through tutorials and what not I've come to the somewhat belated observation that this tool may in fact not be what I'm looking for. I have loads of educational online content that I use in my teaching career and only now would like to somehow control access to the site, track who is logged in and that sort of thing. Rather a "poor man's LMS. I've thought of Moodle for tracking score related data but thought PHP might take care of the initial access to the site. I sure would appreciate any feedback someone might be able to give as to PHP being the right tool for the job.
        • 1. Re: PHP ... is this really the best way to go?
          DLoe Level 1
          PHP is programming, though Dreamweaver handles that to some extent. I use ASP and ASP.NET, so I can't address PHP specifically, but I can say that even with Dreamweaver, you still have to know something about programming, database connections and how a server handles all this. To really use what PHP or ASP can do, you need to use Dreamweave for what it can do and write your own code when needed.

As for ASP, I'm not an advanced programmer, but my programmer..who is the programmer's programmer, very smart of programming...he really likes ASP.NET and he liked ASP before .NET was available.

ASP is a scripting language...it's all entered on the text file in a very linear methodology. I think PHP is similar.

ASP.NET is more like a compiled language and it's not so straight forward. I think technically it is a compiled language...in any case, it's a different challenge to understand and use, but programmers seem to like what it does for them. I'm in my learning process now.

Luckily, APS pages and ASP.NET pages can reside on the same web site, so I can still use ASP. I find ASP usable, useful and fairly easy AS PROGRAMMING GOES.

I think one of the advantages of PHP is that it's available on Unix servers...generally less expensive from hosting services.

Hope that helps.
          • 2. Re: PHP ... is this really the best way to go?
            Level 7
            MrS wrote:
            > I have loads of
            > educational online content that I use in my teaching career and only now would
            > like to somehow control access to the site, track who is logged in and that
            > sort of thing.

Yes, PHP can do all that for you. Dreamweaver automates a lot of the
            necessary code generation, but you still need a good understanding of
            PHP and database management to configure everything to fit your needs.

--
            David Powers
            Author, "Foundation PHP for Dreamweaver 8" (friends of ED)
            Author, "Foundation PHP 5 for Flash" (friends of ED)
            http://foundationphp.com/
            • 3. Re: PHP ... is this really the best way to go?
              MrS Level 1
              Many thanks for the response. This is what I needed to hear. Now ... the best way to learn how to accomplish this? I don't suppose there are any templates for such a thing out there?
              • 4. Re: PHP ... is this really the best way to go?
                Level 7
                On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 00:31:14 +0000 (UTC), "MrS"
                <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>Many thanks for the response. This is what I needed to hear. Now ...
                >the best way to learn how to accomplish this? I don't suppose there
                >are any templates for such a thing out there?

You might take a look at the link in David's sig. Maybe to be a bit more
                specific, try this:
                http://foundationphp.com/dreamweaver8/index.php
                Many thanks for the response. This is what I needed to hear. Now ...
                the best way to learn how to accomplish this? I don't suppose there
                are any templates for such a thing out there?

Gary
                • 5. Re: PHP ... is this really the best way to go?
                  MrS Level 1
                  Alas, I'm still using 2004
                  • 6. Re: PHP ... is this really the best way to go?
                    DLoe Level 1
                    David,
                    If I may ask a question?
                    I've considered diving into PHP as well as or instead of ASP.NET. Do you know both well enough to compare them? Ease of use? Programming "power"? ETC.
                    • 7. Re: PHP ... is this really the best way to go?
                      Level 7
                      DLoe wrote:
                      > David,
                      > If I may ask a question?
                      > I've considered diving into PHP as well as or instead of ASP.NET. Do you know both well enough to compare them? Ease of use? Programming "power"? ETC.

No, I can't compare the two from personal experience. I've been
                      plannning to learn ASP.NET for some time, but I decided to delay when I
                      heard that ASP.NET 2.0 was replacing 1.1. I then got tied up with other
                      commitments.

Here is my understanding of the situation based on what I have read and
                      heard:

ASP.NET is very powerful, and Microsoft creates some very good software
                      that automates a lot of the code generation. However, ASP.NET is reputed
                      to have a steep learning curve.

PHP is very powerful, but you need to do most of the programming
                      yourself. Dreamweaver does a fair bit, but you need a good understanding
                      of PHP to customize the code to your own needs.

I like PHP because it's easy to learn, and I enjoy the challenge of
                      creating my own solutions. It also has the advantage that it runs on all
                      platforms, whereas ASP.NET is Windows exclusive.

--
                      David Powers
                      • 8. Re: PHP ... is this really the best way to go?
                        dualravens
                        moodle is a great tool and it can be entirely adapted for whatever use you need it for, with good PHP knowledge. Plus it works a lot better on linux based servers, in my experience, which run PHP not ASP.net. To me I decided to learn PHP because I found the time spent learning would have a lot broader application. In an education environment where costs are an issue getting very good at the open source offerings like moodle and PHP seems to be the way to go.

At least for me. The security is also better on a Linux server. I had two windows sites I was working on get hacked. Fortunately we hadn't gotten the sensitive stuff up yet but it got me moving away from anything Microsoft.
                        • 9. Re: PHP ... is this really the best way to go?
                          Level 7
                          dualravens wrote:
                          > In an education environment where costs are an issue getting very
                          > good at the open source offerings like moodle and PHP seems to be the way to go.
                          >

Yes, working in a Microsoft environment is simply more expensive, in
                          more ways than one.

> At least for me. The security is also better on a Linux server. I had two
                          > windows sites I was working on get hacked. Fortunately we hadn't gotten the
                          > sensitive stuff up yet but it got me moving away from anything Microsoft.
                          >

I had one site that was hacked - several times. That motivated me to
                          move to a Linux server, and I've never looked back. And I love PHP.

--
                          www.geobop.org - Family Websites
                          www.invisible-republic.org - Adult political websites
                          www.jail4bush.org - Tom Muck's favorite!
                          • 10. Re: PHP ... is this really the best way to go?
                            Level 7
                            On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:59:33 +0100, David Powers <david@example.com>
                            wrote:

>
                            >PHP is very powerful, but you need to do most of the programming
                            >yourself. Dreamweaver does a fair bit, but you need a good understanding
                            >of PHP to customize the code to your own needs.
                            >
                            >I like PHP because it's easy to learn, and I enjoy the challenge of
                            >creating my own solutions. It also has the advantage that it runs on all
                            >platforms, whereas ASP.NET is Windows exclusive.

On the last point - it is my understanding that the largest share of
                            servers on the web are Apache and therfore run on Linux, Unix and
                            Windoze.

And also as PHP is Open source and therefore non-proprietry and
                            vitually free, it deserves support ?.

Malcolm

--

Malcolm
                            webmaster http://www.nb-president.org.uk/
                            Nnew Edition of 'Steaming Up' now on-line
                            • 11. Re: PHP ... is this really the best way to go?
                              Level 7
                              Malcom wrote:
                              > And also as PHP is Open source and therefore non-proprietry and
                              > vitually free, it deserves support ?.

Being open source, non-proprietary and free isn't enough. It also needs
                              to be good. I think both PHP and MySQL are good; but technology is
                              constantly evolving, so they need to keep pace - and hopefully stay
                              ahead of the game.

--
                              David Powers
                              • 12. Re: PHP ... is this really the best way to go?
                                Level 7

>Malcom wrote:
                                >> And also as PHP is Open source and therefore non-proprietry and
                                >> vitually free, it deserves support ?.
                                >

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 00:13:29 +0100, David Powers <david@example.com>
                                wrote:

>Being open source, non-proprietary and free isn't enough. It also needs
                                >to be good. I think both PHP and MySQL are good; but technology is
                                >constantly evolving, so they need to keep pace - and hopefully stay
                                >ahead of the game.

Of course I agree - I should have added something along those lines.

But together with the Apache server - they make a strong team - which
                                does have a very strong community takling them forward, and at least
                                the community has a say and a chance to add funcionality - something
                                not so easy with proprietry software - wher the company has it's on
                                agenda.

--

Malcolm
                                webmaster http://www.nb-president.org.uk/
                                Nnew Edition of 'Steaming Up' now on-line
                                • 13. Re: PHP ... is this really the best way to go?
                                  Captain Special
                                  Nobody mentioned the power of Java, which can be implemented with nearly no knowledge about it by using ColdFusion.
                                  • 14. Re: PHP ... is this really the best way to go?
                                    Level 7
                                    On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:49:17 +0000 (UTC), "Captain Special"
                                    <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>Nobody mentioned the power of Java, which can be implemented with
                                    >nearly no knowledge about it by using ColdFusion.

Since MS stopped shipping the Java virtual machine with the operating
                                    system, there are a lot of people out there that don't have it who won't
                                    see any Java applets.

Gary