4 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2010 4:00 PM by peab0

CS5 Bug: symbol rotation points shifting with long timelines

peab0

I have come across a large, and very annoying bug in CS5. When animating with the same symbols over a long and complicated timeline, the rotation points of symbols earlier in the timeline begin to shift around very slightly. The more you work on the flash, the more they shift, so things that you did right at the start will begin to wobble around all over the place once your timeline gets very big. This is because, as we all know, when you tamper with a tweened symbol's rotation point, the symbol moves out of place while tweening.

This has completely ruined a large project I was working on that I began in CS4. Thank god for backups...

I am using a Mac Pro running 10.6.3

• 1. Re: CS5 Bug: symbol rotation points shifting with long timelines
          jendehaan Level 4

Could you please link a file with steps to reproduce, or post steps so I can reproduce the issue from scratch? Thanks.

• 2. Re: CS5 Bug: symbol rotation points shifting with long timelines
            peab0 Level 1

I do not have the original file as I deleted it after the problem manifested itself.

You'd have to create a long animation using classic tweens and possibly the same symbols throughout. The problem arose when I'd been working on the project for a particularly long amount of time as the longer symbols have been present in the animation, the more they shift about. I am assuming that every time I moved frames about or did any kind of keyframing or tweening, it caused the symbols' rotation points to shift in miniscule increments each time. After a long time, they had shifted so much that it looked like all the animation at the start of the project was breaking apart, whereas the stuff that I had just worked on looked fine.

I suppose I could try and replicate this issue by opening another flash with a long, complicated timeline and fiddling with it until the issue reoccurred.

• 3. Re: CS5 Bug: symbol rotation points shifting with long timelines
              jendehaan Level 4

Are you talking about the transformation point (the point where the symbol rotates around), or the rotation values using the Transform Tool or hot text? One guess is that you're seeing a long-standing Flash-ism that is exasperated by hot text. Matrix math occurs in the background, which calculates/rounds values (always has, very old code). However, with something like the new hot text you have many more calculations being made, so the more rounding means the farther values can deviate from their original settings. I'm not sure if this is what you're seeing though. If you have steps or a file with steps as to what to do/look at, please let me know and I can investigate.

• 4. Re: CS5 Bug: symbol rotation points shifting with long timelines
                peab0 Level 1

I am talking about the transformation point (the point where the symbol rotates around).

it will be difficult to replicate this problem again without making another huge project, but I may be able to by fiddling with one that already exists.