6 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2010 4:25 PM by the_wine_snob

Sync Lock for Audio Tracks

BJBBJB1 Level 1

I usually have a lot of video and audio tracks going at the same time and run PP CS4.

I have read and watched many video tutorials and one thing I read gave me the impression that with CS4, if I had sync lock set for all my video AND audio tracks, it would keep all my audio tracks in sync with my video when I edit the video or add video transitions.

However I just performed an edit that moved a section of my original video and audio on the timline, and my second and third audio tracks just stayed right where they were and of course then were out of sync which I had to re-sync manually.

Did I miss something in the explanation or do I have a setting wrong?

For example if an edit on the original video and audio moved that timeline 30 seconds, I would want my audio track 2 and 3 move similarly which is what sync lock is supposed to do.

If I could get this to work, it would help my editing immensely.

Thanks,

BJBBJB1

• 1. Re: Sync Lock for Audio Tracks
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For what I think you wish to do, if you "lasso" all associated Clips, say your Video, its Audio and then the two additional Audio Clips, with your cursor, they can be moved as a unit. Seems that in later versions, there is also a Group command, that could be applied to all those Clips, when Selected, but maybe I dreamed that???? Try Selecting the "stack," and Rt-clicking on them - do you see a Group choice? One of the users on more recent versions can tell you if it was just a dream, or a reality.

If I have missed your intended requirement, then ignore the above.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Sync Lock for Audio Tracks
            BJBBJB1 Level 1

Bill,

No dreaming, yes there is a group command in CS4.  And this works well when moving an entire clip on the timline.  I can group my audio and video tracks and they all move together which is great.

However, I would also like my audio to follow the same sync lock rules that multiple video clips do....That is, if sync lock is on and I do something like change a clip length or something to video track 1/audio track 1 - for example to add handles and a transition - , I want audio tracks 2 and 3 to stay at the same relative position on the timeline.  So to move along with audio track 1.

I just re-watched a video tutorial on this and this is definitely what it does for multiple video tracks.

But it appears that sync lock does not do this with additional audio tracks unless I am missing something.  Which kind of begs the question as to what sync lock actually does for additional audio tracks since it is there as an option???  Does this need to be enabled somewhere or something?

BJBBJB1

• 3. Re: Sync Lock for Audio Tracks
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You have got me on that question. Maybe Harm, Curt, Jeff or others can step to the plate and help with that answer.

Glad that I was not dreaming.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Sync Lock for Audio Tracks
                Harm Millaard Level 7

You have to target the tracks you want to move 'en-groupe'.

Lets say you want the video in track 4 and the audio in tracks 2 and 3 all to move together, you must first target video track 4 and audio track 2 and 3, lasso them and then drag them left or right, and they will stay in sync. You can also achieve this by locking other tracks, btw.

• 5. Re: Sync Lock for Audio Tracks
                  BJBBJB1 Level 1

I found this Adobe video that helped get sync lock and audio through my head that I thought I would post in case someone else runs into this thread needing help:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/digital-video/mapping-source-tracks-to-target-tracks

Near the very end is when they finally get to it.  So clearly sync lock would work for insert editing, etc.

However for my original issue of changing track lengths to say accomodate handles, or other "manual" clip length changes made once the clips are on the timeline, it appears that the group command is the way to go as Harm suggested.  Sync lock does nothing for me in regard to changing clip lengths once on the timeline.  Only when inserting clips.

Just like with Photoshop many years ago, and my last NLE, clearly learning a good workflow for PP will serve me well in the future.  Clearly you want to make sure any clips you put on the timeline already have "handles" and also, if extensive length changes are needed, do that before you have multiple video and audio tracks piled up!

Thanks to all for the help!

BJBBJB1

• 6. Re: Sync Lock for Audio Tracks
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Clearly you want to make sure any clips you put on the timeline already have "handles" and also, if extensive length changes are needed, do that before you have multiple video and audio tracks piled up!

That is music to my ears! The concept of Handles and the understanding of their importance, is so very important.

Thanks for posting that link too,

Hunt