7 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2010 7:05 PM by Mwaj-Triangle

Discecting an image using clipping masks

Mwaj-Triangle

Hello,

I've created a vector object in rhino, that i'd like to use as a clipping mask to divide a jpg image into a lot of differnt pieces, I don't want to occlude any part of the image only to divide it into many differnt sections that could each be manipulated individually, almost as if it was a giant cutting die. I've read tutorials on using the clipping mask tool with groups rather than a single objects, but whatever I do  it just removes part of the image that  I'm working on and just leaves the rest alone un-cut. I'm pretty new to Illustrator so... er, help.

Many thanks,

Me

• 1. Re: Discecting an image using clipping masks
          JETalmage-71mYin Level 3

Can't follow you. Post a screenshot of what you've got so someone can understand what you're trying to do. State what version of Illustrator you are using.

A "vector object" can be many things. Clipping masks don't "divide" anything, least of all raster images. They merely mask portions of their content. There is no clipping mask tool per se.

JET

• 2. Re: Discecting an image using clipping masks
            Mwaj-Triangle Level 1

Unfortunately I can't post a screen shot, the work I'm doing is part of a research project into computer based art being run by a professor who's hired me to help him figure things out

I'm using CS 3, but can get access to CS4 if that would work better for what I'm trying to do. If clipping masks don't actually cut anything then maybe I need to look into another command, is there a command that will cut a raster obect using vector lines?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Discecting an image using clipping masks
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

This is not something you want to do n Illustrator, i think there is a plug in for photoshop that does this though I am not certain.

• 4. Re: Discecting an image using clipping masks
                JETalmage-71mYin Level 3
                function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

is there a command that will cut a raster obect using vector lines?

No. Illustrator cannot cut (crop) raster images. Some employ the hideous workaround of setting the transparency mode of a clipping path to something other than Normal, and then flattening the transparency. But that actually re-rasterizes the selection, often with unpredictable and undesirable results.

Understand: Raster images are always rectangular arrays of pixels. You can't really cut them into other shapes.

I'm still just guessing at what you are trying to do. If you are trying to make something like a "jigsaw puzzle," you can simply contain copies of the same raster image (or Symbols Instances of same) in multiple clipping paths:

JET

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Discecting an image using clipping masks
                  Mwaj-Triangle Level 1

Thanks for the detail, JET ,a jigsaw puzzle is a very good way of describing what i'm trying to do, the only other question I have is whether or not this will create a large file size because of the duplicate images, (there are about 200 parts to this puzzle)

Thanks again.

• 6. Re: Discecting an image using clipping masks
                    JETalmage-71mYin Level 3

I don't know. You haven't provided enough information. I have no idea how large your raster image is, neither in scale nor in file size. I have no idea where you're going with this. Web? Print? Flash? You'll just have to try it and see.

At any rate, before you start, store the embedded image as a Symbol and use Symbol Instances on the page. Symbols are stored in the document file only once. See online Help. But there may be other size/space-related issues depending on the specifics.

JET

• 7. Re: Discecting an image using clipping masks
                      Mwaj-Triangle Level 1

Thanks very much JET that was quite helpful.