sale] ? (in google anyway) they're two VERY common words on the net, I
      can't figure out what makes this site rank so well, the old "external
      links" isn't a factor as far as I can tell because I can't find much in
      the way of links on other sites to this one. As far as this site is
      concerned, sale means a geographic location, not giving stuff away cheap
        • 1. Re: Search engine question
          Level 7
          Tal wrote:
          > Can anyone tell me what it is about this site that comes up first (or
          > almost first if you're outsize Oz I think) with the keywords [pizza
          > sale] ? (in google anyway) they're two VERY common words on the net, I
          > can't figure out what makes this site rank so well, the old "external
          > links" isn't a factor as far as I can tell because I can't find much in
          > the way of links on other sites to this one. As far as this site is
          > concerned, sale means a geographic location, not giving stuff away cheap

I suppose you're wondering what the site is LOL www.mrpizza.com.au
          • 2. Re: Search engine question
            DLoe Level 1
            Here's my take:
            In a search for pizza sale, the top two sites on Google have the words pizza and sale in the titles. But the top site also has the word sale in the keywords. (BTW: The top site is the one you cite.)

I also found the word sale about 8 times on the top site source code inlcuding some that are visible to a visitor. The word sale is in the source fo the second site about 4 times, none visible to a visitor.

Given the search phrase and the importance of title, keyword meta tag and having some text on the page, I think all that's relevent.
            • 3. Re: Search engine question
              Level 7
              DLoe wrote:
              > Here's my take:
              > In a search for pizza sale, the top two sites on Google have the words
              > pizza and sale in the titles. But the top site also has the word
              > sale in the keywords. (BTW: The top site is the one you cite.)
              >
              > I also found the word sale about 8 times on the top site source code
              > inlcuding some that are visible to a visitor. The word sale is in the
              > source fo the second site about 4 times, none visible to a visitor.
              >
              > Given the search phrase and the importance of title, keyword meta tag and
              > having some text on the page, I think all that's relevent.
              >
              Ok....but what about this one that's listed even further down the list,
              has the key words pizza and sale numerous times on the page and in the
              title, description & keywords

http://www.thefoodplace.co.uk/restaurants/15817/Perfect+Pizza+in+Sale/
              • 4. Re: Search engine question
                DLoe Level 1
                Oh, I don't know for sure.

I checked the back links, and the first site doesn't show any, but neither does the long thefoodplace.co.uk URL. Perhaps it's because higher rank site has the word pizza in he domain.

Te lower rank site has links and text that have little to do with pizza, etc. Perhaps that waters down the ranking. Do you think GoogleBot can figure all that out automatically? Google implies that they are pretty good at such things on their webmaster guidelines.
                • 5. Re: Search engine question
                  Level 7
                  It's all in the lap of the 'google gods' ;-)
                  I don't think anyone could really answer the question - it would all be
                  speculation, as is much of SEO

--
                  Nadia
                  http://www.csstemplates.com.au
                  http://perrelink.com.au

"Tal" <goer2u4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
                  news:e8t2vl$d8a$2@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Tal wrote:
                  >> Can anyone tell me what it is about this site that comes up first (or
                  >> almost first if you're outsize Oz I think) with the keywords [pizza sale]
                  >> ? (in google anyway) they're two VERY common words on the net, I can't
                  >> figure out what makes this site rank so well, the old "external links"
                  >> isn't a factor as far as I can tell because I can't find much in the way
                  >> of links on other sites to this one. As far as this site is concerned,
                  >> sale means a geographic location, not giving stuff away cheap
                  >
                  > I suppose you're wondering what the site is LOL www.mrpizza.com.au