4 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2010 3:11 PM by the_wine_snob

Stop motion troubles

Vualafax112

I just finished work on a stop motion video involving a crew of LEGO characters fighting to the death.  However, when I go to the begining in the timeline and try to watch it the whole way through, it messes up.  The video will play for a while, then it will freeze on an image while the playhead keeps going.  It's like my computer is freezing up on me, but I know that this is not the case.  Is it a problem with the actual footage, or is it just the program's fault?  Is there a way to smooth things over so I can view what I have created so far?

• 1. Re: Stop motion troubles
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Can you give us more information on how you created this stop-motion? I assume you didn't use the stop-motion capture feature in Premiere Elements.

If this is a series of still photos, have you ensured that your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels, per the FAQs to the right of this forum?

Is there a red line above your clips on your timeline? If so, you need to render your timeline by pressing the Enter key. The red lines will turn green. (This is all covered in detail in my books, by the way.)

Rendering time will also be significantly faster if your photo sizes are optimized to 1000x750.

• 2. Re: Stop motion troubles
            the_wine_snob Level 9

In addition to the answers to Steve's questions, can you tell us more about your computer also? I would concentrate closely on the I/O sub-system, i.e. the HDD's, their speed, size, free space, controller type and how you have them allocated. With the exception of the CPU-intensive AVCHD, playback is most dependent on the I/O.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Stop motion troubles
              Vualafax112 Level 1

Oddly enough, all of the problems were mostly fixed as soon as I posted this question...

Also, I was unware that I had to render the footage, and things seemed to run smoother when I finally did.  Thanks for your effort though.

• 4. Re: Stop motion troubles
                the_wine_snob Level 9

When one has footage with a red line in the Timeline, Rendering will give one the best, smoothest possible playback. Now, Rendering is not normally required for smooth playback, unless one has slightly odd footage to start with. As I work with SD material, Captured to an SD Project Preset as DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio (or converted to such), I seldom Render, even when I add Titles, Effects, Transitions, etc., that will turn my green line red, until I start controlling Keyframed Effects. Then, I might Render that segment many times, to observe the smoothest playback. Many Projects never get Rendered, except in the Transcoding phase of Export/Share. Others, might see dozens of Renders for particular segments (controlled by the WAB - Work Area Bar).

Good luck,

Hunt