25 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2010 3:43 PM by the_wine_snob

playback of captured video is jerky

fishmor

Just got a new cam, computer and premier 8 and have my first footage captured.  I captured it in HD and SD and regardless, playback is jerky when I open the project and select a clip to look at.  Computer has 8 G RAM, 512 MB dedicated graphics card, 1 TB hard drive, 3 ghz quadcore processor, and I am running Windows 7.  Any suggestions??  Seems like this shouldn't be problem

• 1. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
          nealeh Level 5

A new computer is nearly always well out of date with it's software and drivers. Also typically loaded with unneeded software at start up.

1. Check you have:

• All Windows updates
          • Most recent version of QuickTime
          • Latest sound and graphics drivers from manufacturers web sites.
          • The 8.0.1 patch for PRE8

2. Examine what programs run at start up and close unnecessary ones.

3. Give details of:

• What camera you have
          • What camera settings are
          • How you got the clip on to your computer
          • What codec does the clip use. You check this by opening the file with GSpot v2.70a and posting a screen capture here
          • What Project Preset you are using in PRE

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the answers to Neale's questions, you might get some tips from this ARTICLE. Most computers come with tons of useless bloatware, and these programs and Processes can rob even a powerful machine of its resources.

When gathering the answers to Neale's questions, please pay special attention to the computer's I/O sub-system. You state that you have a 1TB HDD. Please tell us all about it, such as speed, controller type, etc.. I would guess that you have plenty of free space. Also, have you partitioned it, or is it both one logical and physical HDD?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
              fishmor Level 1

Totally forgot about quicktime 7, I didn't install it yet - hopefully this will do it!  My camera is a canon XHA1s and I have no idea about the codec but will find out.  I used the basic presets for DV and HDV when I captured - I don't remember what they are but when I get home I'll get a chance to work on this again!  My hard drive is 7200 rpm w/ 32 mb cache and it is not partitioned as far as I know - with the amount of RAM on this thing I would expect it to run the internet faster than it does so maybe I need to get rid of some of the startup software - thanks people and hopefully I will get it taken care of tonight - Eric

• 4. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>My hard drive

Only ONE hard drive will not work well for video editing... you need AT LEAST 2 drives (NEVER A PARTITION) so boot drive has Windows and all software, and 2nd drive has all video

• 5. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                  fishmor Level 1

I installed quicktime 7 and it's still playing back jerky.  I downloaded

the GSV program and brought in a clip but couldn't figure out

what codec it was in - but - from that program I was able to watch the clip with HP viewer and it looked fine so I think the capture was OK -  how do I get rid of the startup programs in windows 7 like messenger and whatever else might be affecting premiere?  My graphics card is a ATI Radeon DDR3 with 512 dedicated RAM - all of the drivers have been updated - I'm pretty new to Windows 7 and most of this stuff - Eric

• 6. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Eric,

This ARTICLE will give you tips on cleaning out unnecessary programs and Processes, that launch at boot-up.

When you say that the video drivers have been updated, do you mean that you went to the ATI/AMD site and checked for updated drivers? The reason that I ask is because many OS's will provide driver updating features, but they usually are many driver versions behind. Same for other similar utilities. The most recent drivers can only be guaranteed from the mfgr's. site.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                      fishmor Level 1

My playback is probably best described as jerky/blurred - doesn't seem right -

I updated the graphics card and shut down Kaspersky anti-virus while doing this

and it didn't change it - I will still get the project presets and the other things you mentioned but I feel like its something really little that has been over looked - I turned off auto-analyzer and background rendering as well - I'm a little unfamiliar with the MSCONFIG process in your article so I have not tried that yet.  Just an update but will keep working on it - also getting some advice from elements village - ?? Good idea?  Thanks, Eric

• 8. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you say you are capturing HDV over FireWire as standard def DV from that camcorder and you're getting jerky playback, something is seriously wrong. You should be able to edit standard DV on even a Pentium running XP and a single hard drive, and it sounds as though you have a much faster computer.

Something is definitely configured incorrectly on your computer.

When you place your clips on your timeline in Premiere Elements, is there a red line above them? If so, you do not have the program set up correctly or you have captured your video as something other than standard video.

• 9. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                          fishmor Level 1

I ran MSCONFIG and still the same thing.  I recaptured 2 clips and started 2 projects, one in SD and one in HD and am still getting same results.  I have a red line over the one captured to SD (downconverted by my cam cause it was orginally recorded in HDV) but not the HD clip. The premiere presets for the SD are DV-standard 48 khz.  My camera setting when I capture are playback standard = HDV and HDV downconverter on (this is what the manual calls for).  The HD project presets in premiere are HDV 1080i 30.  My camera calls for playback standard = HDV and HDV downcoverter "off" (obviously).  The codec for the SD is dvsd and Gspot doesn't tell me what it is for the hd clips or I haven't figured out how to use it yet.  Playback is still jerky/blurred - my camera automatically records in a frame rate of 60i, and my other choices are 30f and 24f I think -  Still need all of your help!  It has to be something simple, right??   

• 10. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm sorry. I'm not sure I can be of much more help.

If you have your camcorder set to DV Lock so that your HDV is being captured over FireWire as miniDV, your footage should load into a project that's using DV settings with no red lines above the clips on your timeline and your performance should be excellent.

If this is not happening and you've looked into the other possibilities we've mentioned in this thread, then I'm afraid I'm stumped. Something is going on on your system or in your workflow that's beyond what we can diagnose on this forum. Sorry.

• 11. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                              fishmor Level 1

Where do you all suggest I go for help?  Being a new-bee at most of this, I feel a little helpless with $5000 worth of equipment and a small side business to start this summer - I've heard Sony Vegas Pro is good software, but I still think it's something really basic that I'm missing - any suggestions?  Eric

• 12. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                                nealeh Level 5

It may well be that something in your computer setup is interfering with  playback but that PRE is functioning correctly and will produce a good  DVD.

Try burning a project to a rewriteable DVD and see what it looks like on a standalone DVD player / TV.  If it looks good on TV then we will know that the problem is contained within your computer and can take it from there.

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale

• 13. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                                  fishmor Level 1

I burned a DVD of the standard def stuff and got good results - my project preset in premiere is NTSC DV 4:3 - could this be the problem?  In any case, I am going to burn a blu-ray tonight with the HD stuff and see what I get - Eric

• 14. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                                    nealeh Level 5

Assuming you camcorder is NTSC recording to Standard Definition DV then that preset is correct. Lets see how the HiDef footage works on a real player.

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale

• 15. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                                      fishmor Level 1

I burned a blu-ray (it took 3 hrs for 1 hr content, wow) and it looked good in the HP viewer - I don't have a blu-ray player for my TV but I assume HP viewer is a good alternative for now - the DVD I burned last night looks good on the TV but lousy on the HP viewer, wierd.  Anyway, I rendered the whole SD project cause it still had a red line over it, then the line turned green, but the playback in premiere is still lousy.  I checked my monitor magnification and played with that as well and this did not affect playback either - Premiere is only using about 2.3 G of memory while running, I have plenty of that (8) - still think it's something simple - Eric

• 16. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                                        nealeh Level 5

So it's good news in a way. It seems that PRE is working correctly but something is interfering with playback. Can you post screen dumps from the Task Manager (get to it via Alt-Ctrl-Delete) of both applications and processes (tick 'Show processes from all users') whilst running PRE.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale

• 17. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                                          fishmor Level 1

footage looks great on a real player as well - I will look at those other issues ASAP and get back - Thanks Neale,  Eric

• 18. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                                            fishmor Level 1

I ran the task manager while pre was running and it showed 48 processes - using only 25% of physical memory - among those processes taking up the most memory were svchost.exe (system) 117,00 K; audiodg.exe (local) 23,000 K; explorer.exe (eric as user)  21,000 K and RAIDexpert.exe (system) 54,000 K.  This OS stuff is pretty Greek to me - I couldn't figure out how to do a screen dump of it all, but if I right-click on a process I can create a dump file.  Anyway, I brought in some previously captured clips (downconverted) with SD project presets 16:9 and 4:3 - the clips for the 4:3 project showed up with a red line over them and rendered didn't help playback.  The clips brought into the 16:9 preset had a grey line over them but still jerky playback. 

Eric 

• 19. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Eric,

Here is an ARTICLE on doing screen-caps for attaching via the little "camera" icon in the editing screen in the forum.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                                                nealeh Level 5

Audiodg.exe may well be the problem. Googling it throws up lots of performance related issues. This one claims a fix.

Cheers,
                                                --
                                                Neale

• 21. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Great detective work Neale. I had see the Audiodg.exe, and was going to check it out, since I was not familiar with it (XP-only), but you were way ahead of me.

This could well explain some playback issues in PrPro too.

Thanks for posting this link,

Hunt

• 22. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                                                    fishmor Level 1

Neale and Bill,

I tried the recommended audio fix and still have poor playback.  I really appreciate the help you have given and I had a computer tech come out and look at my system with me - we did performance tests, etc and I have a lean and mean machine - we played my clips on VLC player and they looked great, and then simultaneously on Pre and VLC - They still looked great on VLC but not so great on PRE - at this point I can only conclude that it's a software issue with PRE - there is absolutely nothing running in the background that could be affecting playback in PRE - I guess at this point I will have to live with it - I don't like it but at least my final product is good - Thanks again and I'm sure I'll be back on soon

• 23. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

By chance, do you have FFDShow installed? That has been known to cause all sorts of playback issues with Adobe products. It can be installed by many different programs, but a common one is the K-Lite CODEC pack.

Just curious,

Hunt

• 24. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                                                        fishmor Level 1

Not sure - will this show up as a program file called FFDshow or will it be hiding somewhere?  I don't think I've installed any codec packs - not currently at my computer but will check it out - Eric

• 25. Re: playback of captured video is jerky
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Eric,

It should show up as a program, though it might be in one of several folders. It should also show up in Task Manager under Processes. It often shows up (and sometimes with several icons) in Taskbar, when one does playback of many media types.

I'd test this with WMP, as VLC contains so many playback modules, which is nice on one hand, but can get in the way of testing. Same for the VLC contained CODEC's. As a player, it's great because it will play just about everything internally.

Just wondering, as it has caused similar issues for other Adobe users. Might not be involved.

Good luck,

Hunt