7 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2010 12:47 PM by the_wine_snob

Setting Up Video Delay

1copycat

Is there a way to set up the software so that you can delay live footage?

Here's what I'd like to do....

I coach volleyball so I would like to set up live video of the players performing skills. It would be set up so the camera would film them and the time delay would allow them to go to a monitor to watch themselves.

I've seen discussions on how to set it up with an older version of Tivo but I would like to use Elements if possible.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Setting Up Video Delay
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're talking about continuing to record as you watch it on delay -- no, that definitely is not something Premiere Elements can do.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Setting Up Video Delay
            1copycat Level 1

I wouldn't record, only view the footage - but I assume the answer would be the same.....

Steve - do you have any input on how to set this up?

• 3. Re: Setting Up Video Delay
              the_wine_snob Level 9

There is hardware and software that will allow you to do what you want. My golf coach uses such. Basically, she is able to record to the HDD (like Adobe OnLocation, part of PrPro's suite), and then allow playback, with Frame-by-Frame shuttle, slo-mo, and even a telestrator to add lines, indicating aspects, like club shaft angle. She can alter the display to include, or remove the actual video, so that one can see just the path of the illustrated club, or shoulder angles, or a combo of both. Her console has a shuttle ball to manually control the speed. Her unit has a built-in thermal printer to give you a hard copy of the Frame, or a sequence of stills of Frames. If interested, I can get the make/model of her unit, which fits into a small suitcase, and has detachable legs to stand it up. Her's runs from a motorcycle battery and works very well. The monitor is somewhat small, but has an adjustable hood so that viewing in bright sunlight is still pretty good. She uses a Canon miniDV tape camera, tethered by FireWire. It is a great teaching aid. She can also upload the video to the miniDV tape, so that one can take it home to review.

I've had ski racing clinics, where similar was utilized, and it is portable enough to get up the mountainside on a snow mobile.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Setting Up Video Delay
                1copycat Level 1

Sure Bill, I'm looking at all possibilities, I would like to know the

brand/model of what your golf instructor uses.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Setting Up Video Delay
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Coach,

I'll call her this AM. It's just 7:00AM here in the AZ desert, so I'll wait until she's had time for at least one cup of coffee!

If she's in town (plays on the Sr. LPGA tour), I should have your answer in a day, or so.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Setting Up Video Delay
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

This is the unit that another golf instructor recommended: http://www.astarls.com/

Have a call in for another rec., possibly different.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Setting Up Video Delay
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

HERE is the other recommendation. My coach's gear is rather old, and she indicated that the new stuff is much better.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt