4 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2010 10:33 AM by snowslider

runtime conflicts with macromedia director

snowslider

hello

I've got an application from an ISV that apparently uses macromedia director, it's supposed to run on mac osx and windows etc. The application is "Swiss Map" and it's a mapping product. Late last year printing stopped working, if you tried to print you'd get the basic map but the overlays would be displaced, for maps you'd get your path moved a few hundred metres which effectively renders the product useless. I found the problem had started when I'd installed photoshop elements and if I removed /Library/Application Support/Macromedia all was back to normal.

Only now it's started again and I've already removed those files so I'm stumped. My question s two part, first and it's a huge and imprecise question, where else might I look for the root cause? And second, is there a way to control the runtime environment at all? Can I control exactly where this application is looking for components or even just know for sure. If it were just plain executables I'd have an idea where to look but I've not enough knowledge about macromedia director to know quite where to start.

Obviously I have logged the problem with the people who support this but I don't think either they or me have any real expectation they're going to solve this or even be bothered to work on it. Meanwhile I've a thousand francs of software that's not fit for purpose and I'm burning money buying new maps every week.

thanks!

• 1. Re: runtime conflicts with macromedia director
          James Newton, ACP Level 3

It sounds as if you are the end-user of a product, not the developer.

If I understand correctly, you have contacted the company who developed the product.  They will know better than anyone how the print and overlay features have been implemented.  Perhaps you could suggest to them that they post a question on this forum, giving the technical details.  The other Director developers on this forum will then have a better chance of suggesting an appropriate solution, rather than making guesses in the dark.

Among the details that we will need to know are:

* On what operating system do you encounter this issue?

* Have you recently updated or change the operating system?

* What regional settings are you using (which country / language)?

* Which version of Director was used to create the application?

(You talk of "Macromedia Director" which is at least 6 years old, and was not designed for more recent operating systems)

* Is this an executable application or a browser-based application?

* Does it use a stand-alone projector or a Shockwave projector?

* What technology is used for printing (PrintOMatic, Flash, ...)

* Are these 3D or 2D overlays?

* ...?

If you or the product developer can provide answers to these questions, then we can ask you more and more detailed questions until someone finds a solution.

• 2. Re: runtime conflicts with macromedia director
            snowslider Level 1

oops... didn't mean to mark it as answered

thanks for that. As you guessed, I'm just the end user here, I've been logging the same problem with the developer of the product for over 6 months and a series of general issues for 2 or 3 years. At the moment they're not answering email or support requests and I don't really expect them to, this has been going on for 6 months and I'd been able to find a workaround myself originally. It would unrealistic of me to leave it with them any longer and really expect an answer and, as I use the product professionally, it's costing me money and compromising safety. The product basically provides all the maps for Switzerland, I print excerpts for use on the mountain and when I can't either I don't have a map or I have to buy one. Yesterday the lack of the proper map for somewhere I'd not been before led us down through terrain that would have been way too dangerous had I been with clients, luckily on the day it was me and my girlfriend who's well used to such terrain but all in all, I've got to get a grip on this.

so, I can't fully answer your questions but I'll have a go.

• this was happening on mac osx, 10.6.3 currently and the first time was on the new release of 10.6, I'd never seen it before.
            • the first time I'd updated to 10.6, the install of photoshop elements where the conflict apparently was came from 2008 and had run without any problem along with Swiss Map for over a year.
            • this is an executable, it's not browser based.
            • this happens on Windows XP as well, I was amazed by this but I installed the current version off the vendor website onto a VMware clean XP install and it fails right away. I'd like to try it on Windows 7 but the installer doesn't run at all.
            • macromedia director is no doubt very old, what executables I can find are powerpc based and run like dogs on my macbook pro
            • I think it's printomatic, I can find files in the install named "printomatic mx", in fact the manual lists some bits (see below)

Is it 2d? Yes, in fact here's a sample just to get a feel of it :

http://snowslider.net/gallery/thumbs/lrg-3306-swissmap.jpg

the yellow lines ought to be paths, you can easily see here the problem, paths tend not to cross lakes. The paths are displaced down and slightly right, the amounts vary depending on zoom levels, ie, become proportionally greater, at double zoom it's more then twice as displaced. It's fine on screen but if you try to export to image formats or print you get this displacement.

FWIW, anyone can download this, it's at http://www.swisstopo.admin.ch/internet/swisstopo/en/home/products/downloads/maps/swiss_map .html it's just not going to do anything without a CD or DVD with map data.

Obviously, asking here is a massive longshot, but there's a chance some gem of information will be enough for me to work out another workaround. I've an idea I'd like to run this in some sort of restricted environment to cut down external conflicts but I don't understand enough about how director code is packaged to know quite where to start.

technologies are listed in the manual as :

PrintOMatic Xtra:

Copyright by ElectronicInk

§ DirectOS Xtra:

Copyright by DirectXtras Inc.

§ OSControl Xtra:

Copyright by OpenSpark Xtras

§ BuddyAPI Xtra:

Copyright by Magic Modules

§ Sharp Image Export Xtra:

Copyright by Sharp Software

§ Blowfish:

Copyright 1995-1997 Eric Young (eay@cryptosoft.com), all rights

reserved

§ bzlib:

Copyright 1996-2000 by Julian R. Seward, all rights reserved

§ zlib:

Copyright 1995-2003 by Jean-Loup Gailly and Mark Adler

§ Valentina:

Copyright by Paradigmasoft

§ wxWidgets library:

Copyright 1998-2005 Julian Smart, Robert Loebling et al

§ libjpeg:

this software is based in part on the work of the independent JPEG

Group.

Copyright 1991-1998, Thomas G. Lane

§ libpng:

Copyright Andreas Dilgner, Dave Martindale, Guy Eric Schalnat,

Paul Schmidt, Tim Wegner

§ b64:

Copyright 2004-2006, Matthew Wilson and Synesis Software

• 3. Re: runtime conflicts with macromedia director
              James Newton, ACP Level 3

snowslider wrote:

• this was happening on mac osx, 10.6.3 currently and the first time was on the new release of 10.6, I'd never seen it before.

I think that that's your culprit right there.  The last Macromedia version of Director was released in 2004.  Apple has specifically listed Macromedia Director 2004 (the authoring application) as one of the applications which will not run on Mac OS 10.6.x.

Can you install Mac OS 10.5 on a Firewire external disk, and use that to boot your Mac?  Does your Director application work correctly on that system?

• 4. Re: runtime conflicts with macromedia director
                snowslider Level 1

I think that that's your culprit right there.  The last Macromedia version of Director was released in 2004.  Apple has specifically listed Macromedia Director 2004 (the authoring application) as one of the applications which will not run on Mac OS 10.6.x.

yes, that's where my problems started for certain. After the upgrade to 10.6 printing stopped working properly, but I was able to find this conflict with some files that were part of PSE. But PSE had been there all along, it only became a problem after 10.6. Still, even that wasn't too bad, I removed the folder and it worked again just fine. Then I was in other countries for a few months and working in winter environments where my map requirements are different so a few months go by and I come to print again and I'm back to square one.

So, either an Apple update to OS 10.6 has broken this, in which case I'm screwed, or it's an application like PSE or Firefox or a plugin or so on, in which case I've got a vague hope of being to lash some environment together where I get to print maps.

Or, I run it on Windows XP in a VMware machine. Only I can't, because it does the exact same thing What's the support status with XP? Did some service pack stop supporting it?

I can put it to SwissTopo that the toolset they've used isn't supported on the OS they said it is but a) they'd not even bother replying to the support request and b) they don't care anyway, they don't even support the hardware that Apple's been exclusively shipping for the last 4 years