3 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2010 12:26 PM by Harm Millaard

Media Encoder crash in Windows 7

Avian Rand Level 1

I just finished building a new machine to take the place of my old one. I'm using CS4 Master Collection. I don't use the video tools a lot but last summer I put together a presentation using Premier and created an avi file from it using Media Encoder. I worked on this for a couple of months and it always worked fine.

Well a coule of days ago I decided to see how fast things would run on my new box so I ran the same project. I opened it up, clicked "export" and then "media" (I think that's it, I don't have it up and running at the moment). Media Encoder opens up at that point. About 20 seconds into it, my computer crashes and reboots. No BSOD, no freeze up, just pow, shut down and restart on its own. I've tested this a few times and even chose mp4 output to see if that made a difference. None. Same deal. One time when I opened up Premiere the whole machine froze but mostly I can get to that but Media Encoder crashes the system.

I read that this was a problem in the RC days of Windows 7 but I figured the Adobe updates would have handled this by now (I did run the update so everythings current - CS4 and Windows 7). I've run several stress tests (Prime95, memtest, furmark, etc, including thorough drive tests with WD diagnostics) before loading up my programs and done a lot of stress testing after that too. in fact I'm running Prime95 now and no problems.

What's going on with this? Anyone know? (I want to submit this to Adobe bug support as well but can't find a link for that)

Here's my system:

OS = Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Motherboard = GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 (BIOS v 5)
      CPU = (1) Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366
      RAM = (12GB total) CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) 7-7-7-20 Model TR3X6G1333C7 G
      Cooler = Noctua/XION NH-U12P SE2 (2 fans)
      Video = (1) EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+
      Sound = HT | OMEGA CLARO Plus+
      Case = LIAN LI PC-P80 or PC-A77F
      PSU = CORSAIR CMPSU-HX1000
      Storage = (2) Intel X25-M 80GB SATA II MLC SSD RAID 0 (on the Intel controller)
      Storage = (4) yet to be determineed HDD's (probably going to use WD7502ABYS) RAID 10 (on the Intel controller)
      Storage = (1) Western Digigal WD1001FALS 1TB HDD for my DVDs
      Storage = (1) Western Digigal WD5001AALS 500GB HDD partitioned in 3 parts for clones of the OS drive in case of emergencies (this is in addition to clones and backups that are on spare drives outside the box)
      Optical = (2) LITE-ON DVD Writer - Bulk - Black SATA Model iHAS224-06

• 1. Re: Media Encoder crash in Windows 7
          Harm Millaard Level 7

What happens when you run a compatible combination, like PR7 + XP 32, or CS4 + Win7 64?

• 2. Re: Media Encoder crash in Windows 7
            Avian Rand Level 1

I'm sorry but I have no idea what you are asking me. I thoroughly explained what is happening. I explained that when I run Premier/Media Encoder under XP SP3 it's all good and that when I run teh same under Windows 7 64 bit it's not. What is PR7? The version of Premier in CS4 (updated) is 4.2.1 (on both machines). Media Encoder is version 4.2.0.006 (on both machines). What do you mean by a compatible combination? I'd expect a fully updated CS4 to be completely compatible with Windows 7 64bit. I don't remember there being a 32 bit and a separate 64 bit CS4 offering. In fact I just talked to Adobe support and tehy confirmed this. Same package for both 32 and 64.

• 3. Re: Media Encoder crash in Windows 7
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Mea Culpa.

I misread the big 7 as meaning PR7. Sorry to mislead you and to have misread your post.

It could be a myriad of things, but look at the second link in this link: Some suggestions...

There is some info requested, like Process Explorer (not Task Manager) and DXDIAG. Maybe that will shed some light, but temps and voltages are the first suspects.