2 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2010 6:40 AM by released87

ViewStack/Null Object Reference

released87 Level 1

Hi,

I am struggling to develop a solution for the navigation system in my Flex App. I have a ViewStack within my main application file. Each child within that ViewStack has it's own ViewStack, and those children are the actual pages.

I am using a Menu Bar to change both the root ViewStack and the child ViewStack:

private function select(event:MenuEvent):void {
                      if(event.item.@level == "1"){
                          _ROOT.View.selectedIndex= event.item.@index as uint;
                      }
                      if(event.item.@level == "2"){
                          _ROOT.View.selectedChild= _ROOT[event.item.@parent];
                          _ROOT[event.item.@parent].View.selectedIndex= event.item.@index;
                      }
                      if(event.item.@level == "3"){
                          _ROOT.View.selectedChild= _ROOT[event.item.@parent];
                          _ROOT[event.item.@parent].View.selectedIndex= event.item.@index;
                          _ROOT[event.item.@parent].View[event.item.@index].selectedIndex= event.item.@index;
                      }
                  }

Menu Items are nested 3 levels deep. I am still on the second level. I get caught up on the highlighted line, it throws me a Null Object Reference because the ViewStack Child has not been instantiated yet and so therefore cannot be loaded through the menu bar.

How can I instantiate each child as needed via actionscript? If I could add a line prior to the purple line to instantiate the component then it should not be null when it is referenced in the 'selectedIndex' property I think that would do the job.

Much thanks,

Jesse

• 1. Re: ViewStack/Null Object Reference
          UbuntuPenguin Level 4

Well , you could tell all the viewstacks to have a creation policy set to "all".  This would ensure that the children are all created thus avoiding the null pointer exception.  The better idea is to use a framework , or a bindable variable which would tell the viewstack which index it should be on.  For example I use Mate , so I would inject the stackIndex variable from a presentation class.

<ViewStack ... selectedIndex="{stackIndex}">

[Bindable] public var stackIndex:int;

</ViewStack>

This way is better because it allows deferred instantiation , cutting down startup time , and shows seperation of concern

• 2. Re: ViewStack/Null Object Reference
            released87 Level 1

Thank you very much!!

I ended up setting a property on the main application file 'Master'. I set the index of the primary viewstack with this bindable variable. I set the creation policy of this primary viewstack to 'none' and then set the index dynamically.

I used creationPolicy 'all' for each sub-stack. This way, only the first child of the main application viewstack loads, and then when the other loads, it then loads each of the children.

Thanks again!