3 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2010 2:01 PM by Harm Millaard

Rational Upgrade Path: GTX285 vs. Fermi card for CS5?

Igor Valentovitch Level 1

Hi,

I'm running CS5 on i7-930 with 6GB RAM, Windows 7/64 and nVidia GTS250 1GB Ram (utilizing the MPE after softmod). I work with avchd files and use 2-3 layers to edit them in their native format. My present setup provides stutter-free workflow if I don't use complex effects.

I'm facing the following upgrade dilemma: if I need to upgrade my GPU should I go for GTX 285 or should I aim for the newer Fermi cards? Can you please tell me what performance gain will I get moving from GTS 250 to GTX 285 (if any) or to the new 400 series?

I'm asking this question as I'm offered to purchase a new GTX285 card for &275 but I'm not sure if I should go for this offer or I would be better off jumping to the newest technology offered by the Fermi cards.

What would be the difference for me if I upgrade from GTS250 to a newer card? Just faster rending times or something else as well?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Rational Upgrade Path: GTX285 vs. Fermi card for CS5?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

From the looks of it, only faster rendering, but it may be wise to just wait for some benchmarks to come out, and see what the Fermi cards have to offer.

Realize that I did not have a nVidia card, so I went for the Fermi, but I'm just as unclear about the gains over the GTX-285 as you.

• 2. Re: Rational Upgrade Path: GTX285 vs. Fermi card for CS5?
            Igor Valentovitch Level 1

Thank you Harm. Hopefully others who upgraded from GTX285 to Fermi can share the difference in performance.

I was thinking, probably I should start upgrading the RAM from 6GB to 12GB first as opposed to upgrading from GTS250 to GTX285/Fermi?

What do you think? What difference in performance would one experience if one doubles the RAM?

For example, I noticed that if I open just one prorgam - PrP and try to render a clip with 9 layers containing PiP of moving photoes (not videos), my present configuration is utilizing 3,3GB of the isntalled 6 gigs RAM and reporting the remaining 2,7GB as 'free'. In genral, whatever I do in PrP I've noticed that out of the 6 gigs of RAM there are usually 1.5GB which remain free. Therefore, I deducted that the RAM on my machine is sufficient for my workflow. Is this asumption correct? Or probably if I increase the RAM to 12GB, I will notice that the system will utilize more RAM for the very same project and this will translate in faster performance (i.e. faster render times, stutter free preview of 3+ layers, etc.)?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Rational Upgrade Path: GTX285 vs. Fermi card for CS5?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Igor,

I have 12 GB memory and during encoding a very simple project with a couple of tracks, I noticed a use of nearly 8 GB, so yes, more memory is used and is beneficial. Having seen these results, my next wish is 24 GB of memory, if only the price would not be that exorbitant (keep in mind I'm a simple amateur / hobbyist). I think it is a wise decision to first upgrade memory to 12 GB and await benchmark results on the benefits of certain video cards.

1 person found this helpful