13 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2010 10:17 AM by Steve C2

CPU, GPU, or RAM??

kingsheik1111

I just bought a Sony Vaio E series with the i5 430m CPU, integrated GPU, and 4gigs of ram. When I preview my projects on premiere, my CPU would always be working 99%-100%, while my RAM is only around 60-70%. I always thought more ram would improve preview performance, but apparently not. Maybe 4gigs of ram is more than enough?

Also if I get a laptop with a discrete GPU, would it take the load off the CPU and give me better performance??

thankx

• 1. Re: CPU, GPU, or RAM??
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

You failed to say what software version you are running.  Generally with CS4 and older Premiere versions there is not much difference in what GPU is in a laptop or desktop.  Now with CS5 I do not yet know if any $4000 and up custom super notebooks have been proven to have the nVidia CUDA assisted Mercury Playback Engine (MPE) acceleration.  Do you have a second disk drive that is truely a 7200 rpm drive with or in your laptop--very, very important.  Look at my Premiere Pro Benchmark (PPBM4) site and about 2/3 the way down you will see a laptop reasonable score for a much faster CPU than yours.

• 2. Re: CPU, GPU, or RAM??
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, please list the source footage details, such as AVCHD, etc. The more details, the better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: CPU, GPU, or RAM??
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

The Sager offers the nVidia GTX-285M. Now, I do not know if, or how well, the M-series will handle MPE.

Hunt

• 4. Re: CPU, GPU, or RAM??
                kingsheik1111 Level 1

I am running the latest CS5, and I shoot from my Canon t2i DSLR.

• 5. Re: CPU, GPU, or RAM??
                  kingsheik1111 Level 1

I just wanna know since my laptop budget is around 1000, which should I put more emphasis on, CPU, ram, or GPU. Also can you guys please give me a few laptop recommendation? Thanks so much for the help!

• 6. Re: CPU, GPU, or RAM??
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, I only have one laptop rec. for video editing, but it is way out of the budget range, so it's moot.

Sorry,

Hunt

• 7. Re: CPU, GPU, or RAM??
                      kingsheik1111 Level 1

Yeah, I know around the 1000 dollars I'm not gonna get decent video editing capabilities. I'm just wondering what's the best or relatively decent laptop setup, or what CPU/GPU should I go for at that price range? I should go with i7 right? and for CS5, should I get dedicated GPU?

thankx

• 8. Re: CPU, GPU, or RAM??
                        shooternz Level 6

If you dont spend enough on your hardware you are going to get a

much less than "decent" editing capability.

In fact it could be a very bad experience that wastes your time and money!

Recommendations for  desktop hardware and CS5 are well published on this site.

For Laptops...thats another entire matter that needs even more $$$$$ to achieve a great experience.

• 9. Re: CPU, GPU, or RAM??
                          dradeke Adobe Employee

I agree with the others in that $1000 is probably not going to give you a good editing experience on a laptop.

However, to answer your question, I would go with RAM, CPU and GPU in that order.  In fact, just take GPU out of the equation since it will not play a part for Adobe Premiere Pro in a $1000 laptop.  8GB of RAM is really important along with a 64bit OS (required).

• 10. Re: CPU, GPU, or RAM??
                            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I completely agree with Dennis but if I were you I would save up at least $500 more and then look into something like this HP configuration which is similar to the one with the test results on PPBM4 that I directed you too earlier .  Here is a basic configure to order (CTO) that I would not mind having.  There may be better ones but with limited time invested by me searching for a solution this would be a good minimal laptop configuration. Very good mobile CPU, 8 GB of RAM, 2 each 7200 rpm disk drives, and a minimal 64 bit OS.

Laptop-1500.jpg

• 11. Re: CPU, GPU, or RAM??
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

For that price-point, that DOES look like a pretty good machine. Nice find, and if I were the OP, I'd just save up a few more $ and go for something like that.

The 2x HDD is pretty good for a laptop, though most here really suggest a 3x as the minimum. There are enough folk with a 2x I/O, who do get by fine. Ideal? No, but doable.

Thanks for posting that, as the OP will benefit,

Hunt

• 12. Re: CPU, GPU, or RAM??
                                Valter Vilar Level 2

If his footage is from a Canon Ti2, all he needs is a CF memory card, he doesn't even need a hard drive in his laptop . The bandwidth from his CF card

will be more than enough for editing. I know videographers who are doing small edits directly in their CF cards in their mac book pros. How is that for convenience?

What you are not going to get with cheap laptops is a good screen. HPs are very good with their LCDs (usually high quality), so keep an eye for that too. If you color correct and watch your video at a different angle than before you will see something entirely different, if you've got a cheap lcd.

• 13. Re: CPU, GPU, or RAM??
                                  Steve C2 Level 2

There are always tradeoffs.  If you want portability, get a laptop.  If you want better performance, get a "desktop".  If you want the best performance, build it yourself.  In general, laptops cost more than desktops.  So, if you have a situation where budget is important and you don't need portability, get a desktop.  $1000 will not buy a top-performing pc of any type.  If you can delay your purchase so that you can dedicate more money to a faster pc, you might seriously consider doing so.

Something to consider...in general, powerful pc systems generate heat. "Desktops", especially ones that are built for performance, are designed to dissipate heat.  There are not as many ways to dissipate heat in a laptop.

Hope this helps.