2 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2010 3:50 PM by SuperOperater

Q#2: WILL INCREASING my RAM from 4 to 8 GB help the performance?

SuperOperater

Ok, now....

I have a bit "older" working station, which means QUAD CORE 2,66 HT CPU, 4GB of DDR2 800, ATI 3850 HD VGA, 10.000rpm WD system HDD and so on..,

What I've noticed in last few days, especially since I installed CS5 (I worked in PPRO, AE, and PHOTO SHOP) is that when it comes to "tough work", my QUAD CORE CPU stays under 50%, and RAM is upthere, hanging "in red", 100% usage.... (usually when rendering from AFTER EFFECTS or ENCODING MATERIALS or RUNNING 5d AVC-HD (h.264) footage in Timeline of PPRO....

Now, if I go and double up my RAM and get 8GB of 1066 Mhz DDR2 CrossAir Twin Dominator ---- Is it going to improve my performance???

What do you recon????

My next step will be getting CUDA (Quadro 3800; it's pre-ordered, but won't be here in another month and a half) ---- and I must go on and speed up my editing process - do you guys thing that "pumping up" the RAM will make any positive difference????

I use Win7 64bit and have GIGABYTE MOBO with Intel 35 or 38 chipset (I am just guessing now, maybe it is something else - I got it beginning of 2008 and it was the latest chipset then)

OK, c'mon --- few PROs and CONs for doubling up RAM on system like this!!!!

Thnx!

• 1. Re: Q#2: WILL INCREASING my RAM from 4 to 8 GB help the performance?
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          I have a bit "older" working station

which raises the question of when you intend to upgrade that system? If in the forseeable future, it may be a waste of money to invest in new memory now, because it can not be used in a new system. This you have to weigh, but upgrading to 8 GB will definitely be benficial.

• 2. Re: Q#2: WILL INCREASING my RAM from 4 to 8 GB help the performance?
            SuperOperater Level 1

Thnx for your help!

That is exactly what I am weitghing in my head right now...

But since I just invested quite an amount of money in new Canon 5D, KinoFlo 400DIVA, DEDO-LIGHT, Few 1kW heads and Follow Focus and MatteBox and Chromakey and other stuff for my SHOOTING part of business....

I am affraid that I'll be stuck with this comp for at least 8 more months (at least)....

And then,,,, Yeah, Now I have to decide whether 8 months is worth spending extra money... But since I have to be FAST  with what I have when editing material this summer, I think I should go for it....

Lucklily, here in Europe - or at least in my country, it is prety easy to sell those things second hand and at least get back a portion of invested money!

If I go and by 8GB RAM tomorrow - it'll cost me $400!

In, let's say, a year - since DDR2 is dying - I won't be able to get half, but at least $150...

And 4x1GB that I have in my PC right now, I can sell for $150, I hope....

So, it's not totall loss....

I just don't wanna pull all this stress and time and money invested to find out that I got no INCREASED PERFORMANCE at all.....