7 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2010 4:08 PM by mroiler

Blog

mroiler Level 1

I want to make a blog. I currently have a database with a table for each person with the columns "title" and "content". I have a way to make a new blog entry but not a way to display the blogs.

• 1. Re: Blog
          David_F57 Level 5

hi,

Is there a specific way you want to display the blogs ?. It seems that a data group using item renderers for each entry would be the way to go. Assuming that you have a similar setup to wordpress etc. you would only be retrieving a small amount of data at a time and that could be displayed just like you would as 'rows' of a datagrid. ONly difference being that the item renderer deals with each row as a single column, you can even have references to images and swfs for each post.

David.

• 2. Re: Blog
            mroiler Level 1

That sounds good. Can I do all that through one database?

• 3. Re: Blog
              David_F57 Level 5

hi,

Just to give you an idea I have hooked into a test wordpress blog and displayed it posts, there is no fancy code just read the wordpress db and try to display its content. All the app uses is amfphp remote connection to the wordpress db and a datagroup with an item renderer to display the information.

http://flashhub.net/gumbo/readblog/  - source included

http://blog.flashhub.net/ wordpress .

David.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Blog
                mroiler Level 1

This is great but I want it as a seperate thing for my website's user not connected to wordpress. how do I change it to fit my website and use my databases. What columns, tables, etc. do I create?

• 5. Re: Blog
                  David_F57 Level 5

hi,

I was just giving you an example of how it could be done, I used wordpress simply becuase it was easier to user something that had all the required mysql tables and an admin tool rather than trying to 'slap' together an example from scratch. If you look at the php file included with the source you can see how simple it is to retrieve data from a blog 'Post' table when using amfphp.

If you have a local server I would suggest you install wordpress or some other blog software that uses mysql and see what data structures they use and what you might want. For a simple blog, all you need is a table that has date title and content and obviously an admin tool to manage that.

If you are using Flashbuilder you can use its DCD wizards to create the services and actionscript objects to access your database, for both the admin tool and the client application.

On a side note I have been considering creating a flex based blog app that rather than the standard date,title,post, uses a container for the content with a selection of different layouts for things like an embedded swf file(so something that would be more oriented to a technical blog).

David.

• 6. Re: Blog
                    mroiler Level 1

I was thinking to have a Users drop down(don't have many) then choose a title of thiers. Then it would display the content of the blog. I had a table for each user with a cloumn of "title" and "content". How would I do this?

• 7. Re: Blog
                      mroiler Level 1

I also took another look at the examples you gave me. How would i set that up for my database and my users?(I'm new to amfphp i don't know how to set it up)