6 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2010 5:11 AM by StrongBeaver

Imported Graphic Smaller !

StrongBeaver Level 2

When I import a 1700x1600 resolution image into illustrator how come it's size is smaller then it's original size ? How can I import it at it's original size? No matter what I do when it's brought in it's smaller !

• 1. Re: Imported Graphic Smaller !
          Scott Falkner Level 5

What is the image resolution in pixels per inch? Illustrator does not work in pixels, it works in physical measurement, like inches or millimetres. Even when Illustrator says it is working in pixels it is not, it is just assuming everything is 72 pixels per inch and converting points (which is 1/72 inch) to pixels.

If you draw a 1 inch square in Illustrator then switch to pixels you will see the square is 72 pixels. If you import a 72 pixel square image at 72 pixels per inch into Illustrator it will import at 1 inch square, which Illustrator will report as being 72 pixels. Fine. But if you change the image’s resolution to 300 pixels per inch in Photoshop (with resample off, so that it is still 72 pixels square) then import that image, Illustrator will tell you it is 0.24 inches, or 17.28 pixels.

Getting back to your image, either change the resolution to 72 ppi in an image editor (with resampling OFF) or scale the image to the desired size in Illustrator.

• 2. Re: Imported Graphic Smaller !
            StrongBeaver Level 2

If you draw a 1 inch square in Illustrator then switch to pixels you will see the square is 72 pixels. If you import a 72 pixel square image at 72 pixels per inch into Illustrator it will import at 1 inch square, which Illustrator will report as being 72 pixels. Fine. But if you change the image’s resolution to 300 pixels per inch in Photoshop (with resample off, so that it is still 72 pixels square) then import that image, Illustrator will tell you it is 0.24 inches, or 17.28 pixels.

Is this the reason when I scale my illustration in illustrator to be the height (1795px) x width (1287px) then I save it as a JPEG the demensions are height (1024) x width (764) ? The image that I'm trying to match, I brought it into Photoshop and turned off resample, all the graphics I've used within my illustration in illustrator are 300dpi.

Illustrator gets confused when you turn off resample for a graphic that is still 72 dpi, I don't understand ?

• 3. Re: Imported Graphic Smaller !
              Scott Falkner Level 5

StrongBeaver wrote:

Illustrator gets confused when you turn off resample for a graphic that is still 72 dpi, I don't understand ?

Illustrator is not confused, it is confusing. Illustrator treats everything as though it will be printed, in that everything has a physical size, measured in points. Because many people use Illustrator to produce raster art, such as application icons and web graphics, and those users prefer to work in pixels, Adobe added the ability to define sizes in pixels. But the underlying data within the Illustrator file is still points. A point is one 72nd of an inch.

For years, the only screen resolution available to Illustrator users was 72 pixels-per-inch, so the industry has fallen into step and the default resolution for screen art is usually 72 pixels per inch, regardless of the size or resolution of the physical screen the graphic is viewed on. When you produce raster art for display only (not print) you can usually ignore such details as pixels-per-inch, because the universe in which that image will live knows nothing of inches. Everthing is pixels, so all images are just one pixel-per-pixel. That is, one pixel of image data per one pixel of screen display.

But you’re using Illustrator, and Illustrator used points, which is a physical measurement similar to inches. So Illustrator has to pay attention to the pixel-per-inch data when you import raster art. So if you import art that has a pixels-per-inch value that is not 72 ppi, then each pixel in the image does not equal one point in Illustrator, and Illustrator treats pixels and points as the same thing on the page.

StrongBeaver wrote:

Is this the reason when I scale my illustration in illustrator to be the height (1795px) x width (1287px) then I save it as a JPEG the demensions are height (1024) x width (764) ? The image that I'm trying to match, I brought it into Photoshop and turned off resample, all the graphics I've used within my illustration in illustrator are 300dpi.

Illustrator cannot save as a JPEG. It can export a JPEG or Save for Web as a JPEG. It is important to use the correct terms so that we can understand what steps you are taking. When you use Save for Web you can scale the image in the interface, but the program will always default to 100%. The artwork you describe should save a JPEG image that is 1795 pixels high x 1287 pixels wide at 72 pixels-per-inch (all Save for Web images are 72 ppi). The only way that can change is if you enter a scaling value that enlarges or shrinks that image. I don’t think you are doing that.

Is the artwork just saving at the wrong size, or is it cropped? If it is cropped, you are either using slices or your artboard is the wrong size. If neither of those is what’s happening, then there’s no explanation I have for the inconsistent sizes. Please post a screen shot showing your Save for Web screen.

Attachments are disabled because… well because Adobe excels at incompetence. If you can post your file online somewhere (Dropbox or photobucket, for example) you can paste a link to it and we can download the file and see what’s up.

• 4. Re: Imported Graphic Smaller !
                StrongBeaver Level 2
                Illustrator is not confused, it is confusing. Illustrator treats everything as though it will be printed, in that everything has a physical size, measured in points. Because many people use Illustrator to produce raster art, such as application icons and web graphics, and those users prefer to work in pixels, Adobe added the ability to define sizes in pixels. But the underlying data within the Illustrator file is still points. A point is one 72nd of an inch.

Illustrator looks at a point as 72dpi and a point is an anchor point on a square ?

For years, the only screen resolution available to Illustrator users was 72 pixels-per-inch, so the industry has fallen into step and the default resolution for screen art is usually 72 pixels per inch, regardless of the size or resolution of the physical screen the graphic is viewed on. When you produce raster art for display only (not print) you can usually ignore such details as pixels-per-inch, because the universe in which that image will live knows nothing of inches. Everthing is pixels, so all images are just one pixel-per-pixel. That is, one pixel of image data per one pixel of screen display.

But you’re using Illustrator, and Illustrator used points, which is a physical measurement similar to inches. So Illustrator has to pay attention to the pixel-per-inch data when you import raster art. So if you import art that has a pixels-per-inch value that is not 72 ppi, then each pixel in the image does not equal one point in Illustrator, and Illustrator treats pixels and points as the same thing on the page.

I understand what you meant in the first paragraph, although I don't understand what you mean in your second paragraph could you explain a little more

Illustrator cannot save as a JPEG. It can export a JPEG or Save for Web as a JPEG. It is important to use the correct terms so that we can understand what steps you are taking. When you use Save for Web you can scale the image in the interface, but the program will always default to 100%. The artwork you describe should save a JPEG image that is 1795 pixels high x 1287 pixels wide at 72 pixels-per-inch (all Save for Web images are 72 ppi). The only way that can change is if you enter a scaling value that enlarges or shrinks that image. I don’t think you are doing that.

Sorry I did mean to say that I want to export the illustration to JPEG and the method I'm doing that is with SaveForWeb. What scaling value are you talking about ? I'm doing the scaling within illustrator at the top of the interface and entering in the 1795 x 1287 for X & Y in pixels and the resulting demensions are not of 1795 x 1287, no matter what I've tried.

Is the artwork just saving at the wrong size, or is it cropped? If it is cropped, you are either using slices or your artboard is the wrong size. If neither of those is what’s happening, then there’s no explanation I have for the inconsistent sizes. Please post a screen shot showing your Save for Web screen.

Attachments are disabled because… well because Adobe excels at incompetence. If you can post your file online somewhere (Dropbox or photobucket, for example) you can paste a link to it and we can download the file and see what’s up.

I'm not cropping the artwork, I'm setting the crop marks but they are the size the image should be. I've sent a PM with the link to the file, you mentioned you would only like to see the Save for Web screen although I was going to send the AI file as well I will just send you the save for web screen.

• 5. Re: Imported Graphic Smaller !
                  Chorale0001 Level 1

Hello StrongBeaver

I hope this will help you understand a little more the way illustrator think over photoshop ( or the reverse order.. the same ).

Illustrator is made for drawing picture, graphic, artworks and the like because illustrator think in term of measure, as the gentlement explained above me. For exemple you draw a rectangle in illustrator, well for him, it is a calcul of 3" * 1" with 90 angle on 4 corner, border thickness 1, with color.. etc.etc.etc.. you can resize that rectangle at will and it will always keep the perfect proportion and quality it had before.

Photoshop is made editing picture, photo, and to an extend artworks from illustrator because it thinks in term of PPI ( Pixel Per Inch). If you draw the same rectangle, it will calcul 3" * 1" = 72 pixel * (3 * 1) = 216 pixel. If you resize that rectangle without using any tools from photoshop, you will just crush or expand those same 216 pixel and at some point if you resize really.. really big, you might even get space or hole between your pixel ( worst case ever !). So because any JPG is by default a PIXEL file, your attemp to edit the file in illustrator is doomed from start.

And reverse, you cannot edit a AI file into photoshop because photoshop will convert it in pixel imediatly. This is however very usefull when you want to apply 3D effect on your AI drawing and use the very powerfull tools of photoshop.

I am a junior webdesigner and when i have to import picture into illustrator ( to show a customer for exemple, before going into production mode ), i just build my setup in illustrator ( location of text, design of color ..etc.etc.etc ) then add my picture straith into illustrator. I resize them immediatly in illustrator knowing full well that this is not the FINAL work, it is just to show the customer. Illustrator will allow you to resize manually ( click select the corner of your picture, hold SHIFT, and resize your picture. Illustrator will keep the proportion of your picture).

However DO NOT try to use that newly sized picture for your final work for the quality will be extremely low and the pixel have a very high chance of being crushed and much less to print it.

When you enter into the production mode, Open all of your original picture ( not the one you resized into illustrator, but the original file ) into Photoshop, Then using illustrator, write down the new size of your picture and use photoshop to do a real nice resize of your file without any loss of quality ( in most case... ). Save as Jpg or PNG ( pick the best option for your work ) but don't use the "save for the web" unless it is really for the web.

All that remain now is to set a couple of guide in illustrator to mark precisely the location of your picture, Delete your old picture ( in illustrator ) and import the one you just resized with photoshop, but this time import at 100 % size and you get your high quality picture at the right size in illustrator.

Be aware that it is possible than when you watch your picture with illustrator, the viewing quality will be poor, Don't worry, illustrator use by default a light picture viewer to help slower computer. Your picture will be perfect when you save it in another format than AI and view it in whatever you want.

And of course : Always keep a backup version of everything.

I hope this will help you.

If there is a better way, i don't know it.

I apologize for my very bad english.

• 6. Re: Imported Graphic Smaller !
                    StrongBeaver Level 2

Illustrator is made for drawing picture, graphic, artworks and the like because illustrator think in term of measure, as the gentlement explained above me. For exemple you draw a rectangle in illustrator, well for him, it is a calcul of 3" * 1" with 90 angle on 4 corner, border thickness 1, with color.. etc.etc.etc.. you can resize that rectangle at will and it will always keep the perfect proportion and quality it had before.

Photoshop is made editing picture, photo, and to an extend artworks from illustrator because it thinks in term of PPI ( Pixel Per Inch). If you draw the same rectangle, it will calcul 3" * 1" = 72 pixel * (3 * 1) = 216 pixel. If you resize that rectangle without using any tools from photoshop, you will just crush or expand those same 216 pixel and at some point if you resize really.. really big, you might even get space or hole between your pixel ( worst case ever !). So because any JPG is by default a PIXEL file, your attemp to edit the file in illustrator is doomed from start.

I understand

You can also use Smart Objects in Illustrator in which you can resize the image to any demensions and not loose the quality of the graphic.

However DO NOT try to use that newly sized picture for your final work for the quality will be extremely low and the pixel have a very high chance of being crushed and much less to print it.

When you enter into the production mode, Open all of your original picture ( not the one you resized into illustrator, but the original file ) into Photoshop, Then using illustrator, write down the new size of your picture and use photoshop to do a real nice resize of your file without any loss of quality ( in most case... ). Save as Jpg or PNG ( pick the best option for your work ) but don't use the "save for the web" unless it is really for the web.

All that remain now is to set a couple of guide in illustrator to mark precisely the location of your picture, Delete your old picture ( in illustrator ) and import the one you just resized with photoshop, but this time import at 100 % size and you get your high quality picture at the right size in illustrator.

Be aware that it is possible than when you watch your picture with illustrator, the viewing quality will be poor, Don't worry, illustrator use by default a light picture viewer to help slower computer. Your picture will be perfect when you save it in another format than AI and view it in whatever you want.

I understand but my entire Illustration was designed within Illustrator.  As I mentioned to Scott who I sent part of my design too but I haven't heard back from him I would like to do all the rescaling within Illustrator and get the Illustration to match the demensions of the template I have to work with