6 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2010 7:30 AM by joe bloe premiere

How to get real time playback to monitor with CS5

FamilyLegacyVideo Level 1

Hi,

I haven't received my copy of CS5 Production Premium yet; hope to soon. I'm wondering what's the best way to get realtime playback to a video monitor. I've got a Windows 7 machine, i7 chip, with a GTX 285. Can I output through one of the GTX 285's outputs? Or do I need something like a Matrox MX02 mini? Many thanks.

• 1. Re: How to get real time playback to monitor with CS5
          dradeke Adobe Employee

Both of the solutions you suggest are possible.  If you already have two monitors, try it natively in Premiere Pro.  if the preview quality doesn't meet your requirements, then look into some external hardware like the MXO 2 family.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

• 2. Re: How to get real time playback to monitor with CS5
            joe bloe premiere Level 5

I'm wondering what's the best way to get realtime playback to a video monitor.

An MPE card stops external monitor viewing

• 3. Re: How to get real time playback to monitor with CS5
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

An MPE card stops external monitor viewing

More correctly, an MPE card in GPU mode stops external monitor viewing.  In software mode external viewing is possible.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: How to get real time playback to monitor with CS5

Thanks for the clarification, Jeff.

You can indeed view playback on an external DV monitor

if you disable the hallmark feature of CS5 (MPE/GPU).

• 5. Re: How to get real time playback to monitor with CS5
                  FelixUnderwood Level 2

Wow, for those of us who have clients sitting over our shoulders and who also do unsupervised edits for broadcast, this is a deal killer. I HAVE to have external monitor viewing, which is one of the reasons why I bought the Matrox Axio LE (no drivers for CS5 yet) 4 years ago. I can't wait until my spots air to find out if I need to make adjustments. I'm about to build an i-7 computer and migrate to CS5 then, but I think I'll hold off until this significant issue is resolved. I'll look at it on the bright side: most of the computer components I'll be buying should be less expensive later. 64-bit and MPE are supposed to be the big game changers in CS5 that's supposed to give it a huge lead in the AAA club, but the game changer for me is the fact that if I leave Matrox and CS4, I'm taking a huge step backwards that, in my situation, (which I have to believe is common), I just can't do. Guess my CS5 is going to have to stay in its shrink wrap for another month or two or...

Also, please think of the terminology and mindset you're using if you reply to this post: I acknowledge that some of you on this forum know everything, are always right, and are not to be argued with. Please just wander on the Adobe forum and don't reply to this post. Yesterday, I replied to a user about why I PERSONALLY like SSDs for system drives. Again, why I (ME) use an SSD for a system drive. I wasn't PUSHING it, I was simply pointing out the positive attributes of them. The post below mine and the agressive responses it elicited, simply by a choice of a few emotionally selected words, rather than words selected by logic, set off a firestorm. Made this forum seem like a teen's Facebook page and the type of "conversation" one would expect with that age group. With all due respect, this person often offers very good advice in a neutral, non-confrontational tone. I wrote my post on the SSD yesterday morning, had shooting and editing to do all day, and simply checked to see what the originator of the post thought of mine, before going to bed last night. It got so out of hand by then that the thread was locked. I was stunned.

• 6. Re: How to get real time playback to monitor with CS5

Thanks Felix for your expression of concern over this deal-breaker issue.

I am in the process now of dumping my new system build for CS5,

and reverting to CS4... unfortunate.

Surely this fix is in the works?

I can't imagine we are the only users that have a serious issue

with the inability of a NLE that can not output to tape...

(unless you disable the primary feature of the new release).