7 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2010 7:07 AM by the_wine_snob

PE8 is constantly crashing after some interaction or sharing

exsevenframe

Hi there,

I have a big issue with premiere Elements 8. In the past it has been working but recently it just keeps on failing and I'm not able to do anything with it. I just start up PE8, no other software next to it and the whole application stops to interact after +/- 2mins

We can see that at some point one of the CPU's hangs around 85% - 98% rate and that does not change till you force the process to stop.

System specs:

Premiere Elements 8.0.1

Windows XP Prof

Version 2002

SP3

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU

6600 @ 2.40GHz

2.40 GHz, 2.00  GB of RAM

ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 Series

Memory Size    512 MB   
      Memory Type    HyperMemory   

Core Clock in MHz    594 MHz   
      Memory Clock in MHz    396 MHz

Driver Packaging Version    8.593.100.1-090427a-080420C-ATI   
      Catalyst™ Version    09.3   
      Provider    ATI Technologies Inc.   
      2D Driver Version    6.14.10.6925       
      Direct3D Version    6.14.10.0647   
      OpenGL Version    6.14.10.8543   
      Catalyst™ Control Center Version    2009.0427.2331.40409   
      AIW/VIVO WDM Driver Version    6.14.10.6238   
      AIW/VIVO WDM SP Driver Version    6.14.10.6238

The footage I try to work with is on file (need to change the endscreen only)

MPEG4 Video (H264) 1280x720 25.00fps [Video]
      Audio: AAC 48000Hz stereo 1536Kbps [Audio]

I really hope that somebody can indicate what the issue could be.

Cheers

edited by: sphere4.1

• 1. Re: PE8 is constantly crashing after some interaction or sharing
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I notice that you've included the type of video that you're working with. It's hard to tell from your post if your crashes occur before or after you add your video -- but your video could indeed be the problem. What type of camcorder is this video coming from? Video from Flip and other pocket HD camcorders will not work directly in Premiere Elements 8, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

You also do not indicate if you are working on a laptop and how much free, defragmented space you have on your hard drive, but those too can be factors.

Beyond that, be sure to go to Windows Update and click Custom to pick up even the non-critical updates (hardware updates in particular). Also go to Apple and make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime. And, of course, ensure you have the 8.01 patch for the program.

If all of that fails, you definitely should contact Adobe Tech Support. You likely need more troubleshooting than we can provide on this forum.

• 2. Re: PE8 is constantly crashing after some interaction or sharing
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Along with the questions that Steve poses, this ARTICLE might offer some tips on getting your computer ready for an editing session.

When a program, or system crashes, or hangs, there is often a breadcrumb trail left behind. This ARTICLE will give you tips on finding clues in those breadcrumbs.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PE8 is constantly crashing after some interaction or sharing
              exsevenframe Level 1

Thank you Steve for your answer.

I work with a HP xw4400 Workstation (no laptop). The file arrived from an agency and is as far as I know a conversion from the dvc-pro to mp4 25fps but 1280x720 dimension - this file is basically the final product for our company; but for internet usage is it prefered in our eyes to have the domain name included.

My C:\ has 10GB available to work with. The movie will be stored on another drive (d: which has 1GB left).

I'm not in controll of the windows updates as they work here according to a push mechanism; but I'm local admin so I can update all the other drivers and so on.

I will check the QT version, they reinstalled my machine a month ago and maybe they did not include the most recent version. Thanks again for your answer

• 4. Re: PE8 is constantly crashing after some interaction or sharing
                the_wine_snob Level 9

To get the full info on the file, one can use G-SPOT, the great, free files properties utility.

Good luck, and I hope that we can get your simple edit going and completed!

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: PE8 is constantly crashing after some interaction or sharing
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

10 gigabytes is not nearly enough space on the C drive for this program to open and run, and it could account for most of your crashes.

I'd recommend at least 30 gigs free, and that should be defragmented regularly. That's for your C drive, of course. You'll need much more space on your media drive.

There could also be problems with your source video. Have you ensured that your project settings match your video's dimensions and frame rate? This is very important.

Though, as I said earlier, if this video uses a non-standard codec, that also be could contributing to your problems.

• 6. Re: PE8 is constantly crashing after some interaction or sharing
                    exsevenframe Level 1

Thank you both for your indications

I've checked a couple of things.

First of all,

• The project settings:exactly the same as the file 1280x720 25fps 48000Hz
                    • The file properties (thanks for gspot): codec:avc1 name:H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, mp42: MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14],- avc1: MP4 Base w/ AVC ext [ISO 14496-12:2005],Recommended Display Size: 1280 x 720
                    • Quicktime updated latest version; no change

I will try to create for now more space on the C:and when I hae some time left check the microsoft search index settings on the different drives.

Although I must say I'm surprised to "see" it needs so much extra space I run at home a bit older premiere pro 1.5; but it runs well on a laptop with less specs then my office machine and I know I often crossed that 10Gb line on my c: as I have less space to swap to on that machine and next to it was the whole video collection installed and often 2 things open

OK back to bussiness; one other thing I find confusing is the fact that it seems to be not clear to see that you run 8.0.1 even the eventmanager, when you force the process to stop, is talking about 8.0.0.0.0

Hanging application Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, version 8.0.0.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Will keep you updated.

• 7. Re: PE8 is constantly crashing after some interaction or sharing
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

The lack of notice on the PrE 8.0.1 is one that we have pointed out, and Adobe is aware that they forgot one little bit - that notification. The file dates are the only way to know, as both the Splash Screen and the Help>About do NOT update to reflect 8.0.1. I doubt that we'll see a "fix," as PrE 9 is probably well into development for the probable Autumn release - if history can tell us anything.

We are all with you on that notification, but other than telling Adobe "gotcha!" there is not anything that can be done.

Sorry for that,

Hunt