17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2010 1:50 PM by svenderiksen

Premiere Pro CS5 skipping audio error

Harold Asteroids

Anyone come across this:

When trying to edit an AIFF audio file in the Premiere Pro timeline, the audio skips when playing back,

meaning that after a few seconds it just skips several seconds and starts playing a different part further on in the same AIFF...

The indicator bar does not visually "skip": just moves on steady as it should.

Related to this:

I have a project that was converted from After Effects CS4 to CS5, that shows the following strange behaviour in CS5:

The comps contain layers that consist of AIFF audio files. When doing an audio preview (.) or a RAM preview, the audio does not play the part of the AIFF file that, according to the time-code, it should play. It starts where it should, but then suddenly it skips a few seconds to another part of the AIFF. All that while the red indicator bar suggests it is still playing lineair as it should (the red line does not "skip" to another point.

This leaves me with an unworkable situation, as it is quite unpredictable which part of the audio will play right...

As far as i can tell this behaviour only happens with a converted project (CS4 > CS5) in After Effects.

But when I started a new project in Premiere Pro I got the same skipping audio with a totally new project!

Converted back to CS4 for now.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 skipping audio error
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Harold,

Though not in CS5, I have had issues with AIFF Audio files in several Adobe programs.

Now, are you on a Mac? I'm on a PC, and just convert all AIFF Audio to 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV, but that might not be viable for you.

I would have guessed that AIFF Audio support would have improved in CS5, but it appears that I am incorrect.

Have not read of your particular issue, but that is of no help to you - sorry.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - FWIW, I also convert all MP3 Audio to the same specs. as above.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 skipping audio error
            Vishus.com

I am having a similar (the same?) issue. I'm on a mac using CS5, and I have two audio tracks, one voice, one music. I am trying to edit to the music (starting clips on a drum hit. etc.), but I am more often than not getting a different part of the audio clip playing than what should be. I am also getting the occasional instance where it's not playing one track at all even. Fairly frustrated right now. I switched over from Final Cut because the Master Collection ate up all my budget, but I'm feeling a little buyer's remorse over here. If I shut the application and start up again, without touching anything else, the audio is in the right place, but as soon as I move a piece of audio, the problems start all over again.

There has to be a quick way to fix this? There is no way this program made it to CS5 with almost unuseable audio playback. I'm hoping I am the problem, and not the software, but we'll see!

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 skipping audio error
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Fairly frustrated right now. I switched over from Final Cut because the Master Collection ate up all my budget, but I'm feeling a little buyer's remorse over here.

Sorry to hear this, but from the description, I can understand.

I hope that a Mac-user can offer a quick fix for you.

In the meantime, can you list your Mac's specs., especially the HDD's, their size, their speed, their controller type and how you have them allocated. Depending on the source files, listing the specs. of your files would likely be very helpful, as well as your RAM and CPU. Maybe something there will trigger with others, even PC-users.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 skipping audio error
                Vishus.com Level 1

Hi Bill, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Specs: I am running a mac pro 8 core 2.8 ghz with 26 GB of ram, and I've got 4 internal drives at 1.5 TB of space each. The drive with the OS on it has hardly anything on it, there is 1.39 TBs left, and the drive with the files I am working on has about 595 TBs left of space on it.

The audio files themselves are AIFF files Music at 48000 Hz, and the vocals are at 44100 Hz.

Hope that helps someone help me.

Also, I don't want to hijack the original poster's thread. Not sure if I should start a new one or leave this here.

Thanks for your time!

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 skipping audio error
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Also, I don't want to hijack the original poster's thread. Not sure if I should start a new one or leave this here.

That is always a concern, and thinks for the consideration. It appears that both you, and the OP have either the same, or very similar issues. Other than people having to look over two sets of specs. (do not be surprised, if a few of us get things confused), I would say that one problem on two machines should easily be handled here.

I just hope that someone else has some useful ideas for you both - good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 skipping audio error
                    Harold Asteroids Level 1

Hi all,

Thank for all the replies:

In my case converting the 44.1KHz AIFF to 48KHz AIFF or, even better, WAV seems to have helped. So no more hick-ups and skipping.

The strange fact remains that I've never had any trouble with any AIFF until now with CS5.

So let's hope the guys at Adobe can fix it.

I'll file a bug report, hope that helps them in finding out what bugging CS5.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 skipping audio error
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Harold,

Glad that you got it fixed, and that it's working for you now.

Thanks for reporting,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 skipping audio error
                        MarkWeiss Level 1

Skipping audio has been a problem since at least CS3, and with just about any audio track format, be it wav,

or the audio included with DV, HDV, XDCam, etc.

I chalk it up to poor memory management, as I find myself rebooting CS3 every 15-20 minutes, because that's all the work I can get out of it until the audio starts dropping out during playback/editing. I find I can buy a little more time by selecting any clip on the timeline--as long as it's selected, the audio playback seems to be given more priority, but eventually, that fails too and a reboot is necessary to restore.

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 skipping audio error
                          svenderiksen

I've been having the same problem and it's very frustrating.  The video I'm editing is

not huge and is only 640 X 360 (latest iMac w. i7, 12 Gigs of Mem, tons of HD space).

Makes me wonder if Adobe really tests things out in the Mac world all that thoroughly.......certainly this is not ready for professional use.  I may have to look at FCP since I can't afford this kind of instability.....

Svenderiksen

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 skipping audio error
                            mattstein

Thanks, Bill -- it looks like converting to 48kHz audio solved my problem, too. RAM previews can stutter during playback, but more in a limited-resources way than an After-Effects-is-out-of-sync kind of way.

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 skipping audio error
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              tons of HD space

How many physical HDD's do you have, what is their speed, and controller type, and how do you have them allocated?

The I/O sub-system is a big bottleneck with Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 skipping audio error
                                MarkWeiss Level 1

Not sure if this applies to CS5, but in CS3, there seems to be a consistent

relationship between the number of timelines in the project and audio dropouts.

When a project is small and limited to 1 or 2 timelines, even if there's 2 hours of video, I can edit all day long with nary a problem.

When a project contains more than 5 timelines, I get audio dropouts, even after rebooting and starting Premiere freshly.

I had an editing session today with a director/producer working side by side and in the beginning of our session, the audio was dropping out constantly. I was about to panic. I found that if I selected a clip on the timeline, the audio dropouts ceased. As the hours passed, I found that the audio dropouts subsided and it didn't matter if a clip was selected. Go figure..

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 skipping audio error
                                  svenderiksen Level 1

The project I am working on is only slightly less than 10 minutes long.  But I have 12 audio tracks since this is animation and a lot of tracks are individual dialogue recordings (4 characters) plus three ambience/roomtone tracks for different locations, a music track, and 4 SFX tracks.  Everything worked well a couple of days ago and then, yesterday, after adding another ambience track, it started skipping.  This is a modest project and not HD, with all the source files and target files on the main drive (which has plenty of room).  In frustration I finally just moved the project to CS4 and now everything works fine.  Go figure......and I thought CS5 would bring improvements!?

Never had this kind of issue when I was producing films and using FCP and AVID.....so I guess Premiere is still a wannabe program.....

Svenderiksen

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 skipping audio error
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Mark,

Your observations are probably spot on. I cannot only comment through PrPro 2.0, so changes could certainly have occurred. I do know that CS4 changed a lot, regarding Audio.

In my CS2 Production Studio version, I have had up to 22 Timelines/Sequences and most have had from 6 to 24 Audio Tracks, with a DD 5.1 SS Master Track. I have had zero issues with any Audio dropouts. Now, I have had issues with Playback stopping and at totally random spots, and this has happened with very simple to very complex Sequences, and different spots. Sometimes, this has happened with a fresh boot and Project load, but also after many hours of editing. These halts come and go. I've had them happen a dozen times in a row, only to then disappear in that editing session. I've had sessions that lasted for days, with not one, only to fire up the program, and get 3 halts in a row. That has been my only, even moderately similar experience.

Wish I could comment on later versions, but I cannot.

Thanks for your observations and for reporting,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 skipping audio error
                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2)  update fixes issues with AIFF audio as well as many other problems.  Please install the update and let us know whether your problem is fixed.

See this page for details about the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update:

http://bit.ly/djiyh4

Please report bugs that persist after the update here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

• 16. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 skipping audio error
                                        eddiem100 Level 1

Thanks for the tip on the update.  I've had the same audio problem as well as many others and have been dying for an upate.

• 17. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 skipping audio error
                                          svenderiksen Level 1

Thanks......now I can really explore the new version!

Erik