1 2 Previous Next 75 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2010 8:28 AM by DaveJDSP

Camera Raw is very jerky...

Bastian_1984

ATTENTION: This is a translation  from Google Cause I'm from Germany and my english is  not that good^^

Hi,
      I'm new here  but had an  important question to the community here:
      I have an iMac  27  "purchased i7 8 GB of RAM and will thus also use Photoshop / Camera   Raw.
      So  far so good but ....
      When I go to  Camera Raw work, it jerks like crazy. which means I move a slider then it takes only a few more   seconds until it becomes active on the preview ... Really noticeable is it  when Iwork in Quick Mask mode.
      My problem  relates to CS4 after installing and  after the update to 5.6 (?? That was  the last?) And CS5 ... Operating System OS X  10.6.3.
      Disk  Utility  reports no errors on the disk, Rember shows no errors on the  RAM ....
      I  think that  somehow it should be so that not jerking a quad-core with 8  GB RAM and  64-bit Photoshop at 6 megapixel photos??
      Would be great if  someone  could help me here

• 1. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
          Yammer Level 4

Which version is jerky? Is it 5.6 or 6.0?

If it is 6.0, try downloading 6.1RC from Adobe Labs.

• 2. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
            Bastian_1984 Level 1

Thanks for your answer,

but I have to problem with Camera Raw 5.0, 5.6 and 6.0

Don't know what's wrong....

• 3. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
              Yammer Level 4

I am not familiar with Macintosh. It sounds like a performance problem. Maybe something to do with video card/software?

• 4. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                Bastian_1984 Level 1

Can't say, but I don't think so..

Playing f.e. Warcraft 3 with full options (ok not the newest game ) but it works without any problems, same with bootcamp/win vista/guild wars...

And I don't think, that Camera Raw uses so much performance from the graphic card?! - And I have the newest updates via Apple...

• 5. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                  dfranzen_adobe Level 3

Can you post a short (few seconds) screen recording that lets us see what's happening?

Since you have 10.6.3, it should be easy for you to do this.

1. Run Quick Time Player.app.

2. File > New Screen Recording.

3. Start recording.

4. Reproduce the problem in Camera Raw.

5. Click the "Stop Recording" button (top left in the app menu bar on your Mac).

6. Use Edit > Trim to cut the recording down to show only what is relevant.

Please let us know exactly what version of Camera Raw you recorded. It would also help us if you post the RAW file you used when you reproduced the bug.

Thanks,

David

• 6. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                    Bastian_1984 Level 1

Ok, I have tested my iMac with Apple Programm, he tested about 1 hour and found no error...

But I have record a video too, I hope you can help me!

Don't know how I can upload images and videos here, but I have uploaded them @ youtube + rapidshare

Here are the links:

Vid:

RAW: http://rapidshare.com/files/389650586/Rosen_0042.PEF.html

The grey at the beginning is a youtube error, has nothing to do with my mac

This happens in Camera Raw 5.0, 5.6 & 6.0 - the video shows camera raw 6.0 from the adobe creative suite premium bundle

Hope you can help me!

Thx!

• 7. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                      dorin_nicolaescu Level 5

You have a really big monitor. If you make the ACR window smaller, say 1000px wide - 40% of your screen, does it go faster? Also, if you use a smaller brush, does it hep?

• 8. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                        Bastian_1984 Level 1

Y, the big monitor is why I chose the iMac 27"^^ and that's why i chose the i7 processor, with 8 GB RAM - if even other said the core 2 duo would do it also...

And no, it doesn't matter when I make ACR Window smaller, same problems! With smaller brush, too! Don't know anymore -.- The system have to do it easily I thought... And it's only a 6 MP picture..

• 9. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                          dfranzen_adobe Level 3

Bastian_1984,

Thank you for posting the test file and screen recording. What I see happening (and have reproduced on another 27" iMac here), is a delay between the time you make a brush stroke and the the time the preview image is updated showing the correction. Also, when you move the adjustment slider there is also a delay while the adjustment is rendered.

I have two more questions about the speed issues you are reporting.

- Was the machine you used before you got the Core i7 Mac with 8GB RAM faster than this doing the exactly the same work? What kind of machine was it?

- In the recording, the correction you are applying uses all the available adjustments and auto mask. Is Camera Raw more responsive when making simple adjustments? For example if your brush stroke applied only an exposure correction and does not use auto-mask is it faster, or just as slow to redraw.

Thank you,

David

• 10. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                            Bastian_1984 Level 1

Yes, you saw it correctly... The rendering time is for my opinion much too long, cause I think I don't have any slow CPU....

Also I bought an iMac or a Mac cause all people say a Mac is better for graphics then a normal PC...

About your questions:

I can't say if I have the same problems on another machine then my iMac, but tomorrow, I will load the Trial of PS CS5 on my notebook (core2duo with about 2,5 ghz, 4 GB RAM, win 7 64 bit) and test it with the same picture!

For the according, I used the extremest adjustments that you can see what I mean. I have less delays when I don't push the adjustments in the extreme, but I have delays.... And that is, what I can't understand!

Also, if I work longer on an image, and I use the auto-mask often, the delays getting harder and harder.. (will say, the longer I work on a image, the more it jerky)

• 11. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                              Big_Buzz

This is a little off-topic here, but this lag in slider response sounds just like what some people are seeing in Lightroom 3 Beta 2.  I think the raw processing engine is basically the same as in ACR 6.0.  It's interesting that both Macs and Windows systems, even high end ones, are seeing similar issues. You can read about this in the Lightroom 3 Beta forum if you like.

• 12. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

The issues are UI related and are to be addressed separately in the 

separate apps.

Eric

• 13. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                  Noel Carboni Level 7
                                  function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Bastian_1984 wrote:

I bought an iMac or a Mac cause all people say a Mac is better for graphics then a normal PC...

Ouch.  The misinformation continues.

-Noel

• 14. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                    Murat Cuhadaroglu

Same problem here Camera Raw is very jerky and slow. I didn't have this problem with CS4 & previous CR versions. I'm running a fast 64-bit PC and with CS4 everything was smooth and fast no matter how I opened CR, double click on selected files in Bridge or right click and choose Open Files in CR.

Is this a bug with new CR? Will there be a fix for this?

Thank You

• 15. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                      roman_

Hi everyone,

So just to make things straight:

i7 iMac with 8GB RAM is a hell of a machine, yet ACR is jerky, sliding the sliders, using the brushes is unusable.

64-bit Windows on an 'expensive PC', sounds like something comparable to the power of the iMac above (or more, depending on the graphic card), renders same results >> unusable.

This is a very sad story, considering the price of the products we're talking about and, on the Mac side, considering that there isn't that much hardware [1] to test this thing on before releasing it to the public as the awesome new CS5.

I have tested ACR on Mac Mini 2.55 nVidia 9400 GT and MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and dedicated graphic adapter, both with 4 GB of RAM. I confirm the same results as above. It cannot be used.

With best regards,

Roman

[1] unlike with macs, I can understand the software company cannot possibly test their software on all PC hardware configs

1 person found this helpful
                                      • 16. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                        Bastian_1984 Level 1

Thank you Roman,

the first one who say it, like it is!

It can't be, that a software which costs 2800 € is so jerky - and I think my Mac is really a power machine for that!!!

• 17. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                          Murat Cuhadaroglu Level 1

Just upgraded to ACR 6.1, its still very slow no matter how I open the ACR (double click on files or right click and choose "open in camera raw") It responds almost every command very late. You click %100 zoom and it waits a few seconds to do so. You move a slider andf you wait to see its effect. For me ACR6 is a step back from version 5 and definetely not an upgrade

How are things with anyone else? Are you haveing the same experience? Is it something with my computer or setup?  If not, are there any fixes I can try, any plans/solutions from Adobe?

Thank you

• 18. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                            tmewborn Level 1

My computer is far from state of the art(Q6600 quad core, 6

gigs ram, win 7 64 bit) but the new acr is very smooth.

I experienced a slight amount of hesitation in the sliders in 6.0, but 6.1

seems OK.

Tom

• 19. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                              roman_ Level 1

Thanks for comments everyone. I've also tried the 6.1 to no (or no more than slightest) improvement.

Tom: Maybe you have the right graphic adapter. Please share with us.

I'm unable to find information on what would be the ideal graphic adapter for use with Adobe RAW. Everywhere I go it's either about gaming performance or some high end 3D CAD applications. I really wish Adobe came up with some recommendations (say the low/medium/high cost scenario). The market for graphic cards is so saturated it's nearly impossible to select the right one.

Adobe published only this document dealing with the graphic adapters, which may be useful for some of you:

http://kb2.adobe.com/de/cps/404/kb404898.html

I've also done some testing (all CS5 with ACR 6.1 and Lightroom 3 Beta 2):

- opening CR2 vs. DNG files with Bridge vs. [directly by] Photoshop vs. Lightroom

Since Bridge goes 32-bit on the Macs, I thought that Lightroom and going through PS directly would bring about some change [these are 64-bit]. My idea with DNG was that it may be better optimized [since it's one format compared to many camera-specific formats].

Outcome: DNG + Lightroom was the fastest, then DNG + Photoshop, then the rest.... All were *very* [5-20% better speed in moving the sliders] small differences and no combination brought about a change that would make my current config usable. Of course I'm just testing the performance of 'moving the sliders smoothly', because that is the only deal breaker. While I could live with slow processing / slow opening of files, 'jumpy sliders' are unacceptable.

Roman

• 20. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                                tmewborn Level 1

I am using an 8600GT nvidia card with 512 megs of ram that is almost 3 years old. This is not considered a high end card, I wish I had an answer to the problems some are experiencing with camera raw.

Tom

• 21. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                                  Dinarius Level 1

Dell 2709W, Vista x64bit, 8Gb RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX 1700. Drivers up to date.

This PC is no slouch. Far from it.

I always open via Bridge since it suits my workflow perfectly.

I can honestly say that ACR 6.1 is the poorest yet. It is clunky and slow. Just about everthing happens after the fact. Since changes using the sliders appear in leaps and bounds, making subtle changes is difficult.

As has been pointed out above, this never happened with CS4. What has gone wrong?

The lens correction is great, but......................

Eagerly awaiting a fix.

D.

• 22. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                                    Yammer Level 4

Dinarius wrote:

As has been pointed out above, this never happened with CS4. What has gone wrong?

I'm not seeing as drastic performance hit as you with my installation, but to guess a reason, I would say that there's a lot more processing as standard since the introduction of Process 2010 and Lens Profiles in version 6.

If anything 6.1 is faster than 6.0, as was pointed out in the release notes, due to more efficient rewriting of the program. But, when I'm applying noise reduction, lens corrections and perspective control, as well as exposure gradient and other tricks, I do find that it sometimes almost grinds to a halt.

Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.67GHz, 4GB PC8500 RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Not bleeding edge, but not a slow computer by any stretch.

• 23. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                                      Dinarius Level 1

Yammer,

Someone just pointed out the issue of the lens corrections and what they are doing in terms of system usage.

I've just opened a file and tried working on it without lens corrections - it's as smooth as glass! Each slider works just like in CS4.

So, the solution appears to be to apply the lens corrections as the end of the workflow, where possible, before saving out the file.

D.

• 24. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                                        dfranzen_adobe Level 3

Lightroom 3.0 is now available as a trial download. If you are among those who feel Camera Raw 6.1 is "unusable" compared to Camera Raw 5.7, please let us know how your impression of Lightroom 3.0 compared to Camera Raw 6.1, on the same machine and doing exactly the same image edits.

Thank you,

David

• 25. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                                          Dinarius Level 1

David,

Thanks for the email prompting me to download the LR 3 trial.

(I actually have LR 2.7 installed, but I never used it because I hate the Library/Catalog imperative. I much prefer the freedom of Bridge. However, I accept it's a case of what you're used to - or willing to get used to.   But, I digress..............)

I installed LR 3 and tried it on a few images which I had already processed after a shoot yesterday.

First impressions..........

Unlike ACR 6.1, LR 3 appears to operate smoothly, very smoothly in fact, with or without the Lens Corrections enabled for the given file. Things happen in real time. Very much like CS4/ACR.

One small crib: After zooming in to use the Spot Removal tool, the Hand Tool has to play catch-up to some degree. i.e. the image pixellates and then settles. Also, it doesn't move very smoothly. It's quick, but a bit irritating. Oddly, this only happens in the Develop tab (module?). It's very smooth when using the Hand Tool on the same image in the Library tab.

So, first impressions are that LR 3 is a very different beast to ACR 6.1 performance wise.

Will post again when I've had time to try it further.

D.

• 26. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                                            dfranzen_adobe Level 3

Thanks for the extra info. I consider performance differences between matching versions of Camera Raw and Lightroom (6.1 vs. 3.0 or 2.7 vs. 5.7) to be bugs. If I can reproduce the problem, I write up a bug. There are differences between the two user interfaces, but the underlying raw processing is the same.

Thanks,

David

• 27. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                                              Bastian_1984 Level 1

Wow!!! I mean.. Wow!!!!

I tryed one picture in Camera Raw 6.1 and I only thought OMG... So I downloaded the test version of lightroom 3,  and wanted to edit the same picture - and - wow!!! It works smooth! I can really work with the preview!! No jerks so far! Very good performance!

• 28. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                                                Manovi Level 1

I noticed a strange behaviour using Camera Raw 6.1 in CS5.

RAW opening is quite slow (from Bridge or PS) and also slow is browsing of multi-opened raws on the left side of the ACR interface. Also zooming is slow  (2-3 seconds to zoom)

But anything is faster (as in 5.1) if I open the same RAWs that NOT HAVE XMP sidecars from CS4.

May be that old type (pre 6.x) sidecars reading slows the ACR interface somehow?

I tested on the SAME images and readingthem from an USB pendrive without XMP files or with XMP files GENERATED from ACR 6.1 is FASTER than opening the same images from an hard drive with old XMP generated from ACR 5.x.

I will make more test, but, for now, some users that find ACR 6.1 slower than previous versions can test with no XMP files, recreating them directly from ACR 6.1.

Hope it helps.

Massimo

• 29. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                                                  AaronShep Level 1

I'm finding that Camera Raw 6.1 is nearly unusable on a 2.26 GHz Mac Mini. Slider changes take a couple of seconds to show any effect. By contrast, Lightroom 3 shows changes almost as fast as you move the slider. This is on a new 12 MB raw photo from a Nikon D90 converted to DNG.

I'm extremely disappointed.

• 30. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                                                    Jeff Schewe Level 5

AaronShep wrote:

I'm extremely disappointed.

Well, ACR 6.1 and LR 3.0 are both essentially the same optimizations so if ACF isn't working as fast as LR 3 then something is hosed on your install.

You _ARE_ opening ACR hosted by Photoshop CS5 (Command O vs. Command R) not Bridge, right? Bridge is a 32 bit app, Photoshop CS5 is 64 bit which is a substantial difference in performance...

• 31. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                                                      Jeff Schewe Level 5

Ooooops, duplicate post.

Sorry...

• 32. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                                                        AaronShep Level 1

Jeff, I believe you're right. I was apparently getting a wrong impression because I was dragging the sliders in Lightroom more slowly. I was seeing the updates more frequently but not more quickly. In both Lightroom 3 and ACR 6.1, I'm getting delays in updates of about 2 seconds after moving a slider. That's on a Mac Mini 2.26 GHz with NVIDIA GeForce 9400 graphics.

I was thinking of getting a new Mini with about the same processor but much improved graphics. Would that help, or do I really need to get a Mac Pro to get decent performance from these programs?

• 33. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                                                          Dinarius Level 1

No. I'm using ACR via Bridge which, as you write, probably explains the problem.

But, I need Bridge to edit, make selections, open multiple images from a folder in order to make general edits etc...etc.... It's just more convenient than ACR via CS5. At least I think it is..........

1. With CS5 open, if I choose File/Browse in Bridge, am I still in 16bit? This would be ideal.

2. With CS5 open, if I choose File/Browse in Mini Bridge and and highlight a file, I have the option to open the file in ACR. But, if I highlight more than one file in the folder and right click, the option to open in ACR is not available. Why not?

Thanks.

D.

• 34. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                                                            Jeff Schewe Level 5

Dinarius wrote:

No. I'm using ACR via Bridge which, as you write, probably explains the problem.

No...you aren't getting it. Even from within Bridge, you can STILL open Camera Raw hosted by Photoshop (running in 64-bit) rather than Bridge running in 32-bit. Command (Control) R will by default open Camera Raw hosted by Bridge while Command (Control) O (the letter O not zero) or double-click will open Camera Raw hosted by Photoshop.

You need to understand Camera Raw can be hosted by either Bridge or Photoshop and how you invoke Camera Raw will dictate whether Bridge is doing it vs Photoshop. If you have a 64-bit machine/operating system, you WILL have better performance if you open Camera Raw hosted from Photoshop, not Bridge...

• 35. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                                                              Dinarius Level 1

Jeff,

You're right, I wasn't getting it!

That's a brilliant tip. Solves all my problems.

Many thanks!

D.

ps. Am I imagining things, or do the images look sharper in the ACR window via CS5 than they do via Bridge? Think so.

• 36. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                                                                Jeff Schewe Level 5

Dinarius wrote:

ps. Am I imagining things, or do the images look sharper in the ACR window via CS5 than they do via Bridge? Think so.

ACR previews are very accurate (meaning effectively 1:1 at 100%) whereas Bridge previews are generally lower resolution previews unless you actually use the loupe tool to zoom into 100%. So, yes, stuff will appear sharper in Camera Raw than Bridge, generally.

• 37. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                                                                  Joseph_Radhik

Same problem here.

CS4 runs butter smooth on my computer, but CS5 and ACR 6.1 are horribly slow.

ACR feels like I am running a single core celeron or something.

Btw, I am on a iMac 27" i5 Quad-core with 4GB RAM with nothing else except Safari running. This should NOT be jerky at all!

And I don't see a proper working tip anywhere in this thread - please help!

Joseph

• 38. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                                                                    jaayres20

I have CS4 installed on a cheapo lenovo laptop with a Centrino processor and I can run ACR CS4 with large 5DmkII files (20+mb) smoking fast.  I often open 100+ at a time and have always had it work great.  I recently got a 27" IMac with a 3.02gz processor and 4GB of ram and the same files in ACR CS5 are slow and jerky.  It can't be a Mac problem it is a CS5 problem.  Any solutions?

• 39. Re: Camera Raw is very jerky...
                                                                                      MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Did you try Camera Raw 6.2 Release Candidate (available on Adobe Labs)?

Eric

1 2 Previous Next