7 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2010 1:36 AM by polyxo

some IL CS5 custumization questions

polyxo Level 1

Hi All,

I've just recently switched to Adobe and I am currently trying to replace my previously used Vector App with Illustrator.

For what I do I only have a limited need for Vector Artwork natively created inside Illustrator therfor  I'd like to customize

and strip down the Application GUI to my actual needs.

Some questions concerning this:

Is it somehow possible to create an own Tool-Panel or to remove existing entries from the Default Main Tool-Panel?

I'd really like to hide options which I will never ever use. Instead I'd rather give other options which are hidden

inside Flyout-Menus a "Frontpage-Icon". Excuse me if I miss something obvious here but I did not find any

such option inside Preferences, a Web-Search also didn't give me answers.

Keyboard Shortcuts:

I was quite frankly surprised about the limited options to assign custom Shortcuts - many of those which

I have been used to for years simply are not allowed - at least not that I can see.

Two specific questions concerning that matter:

I am very used to press Escape in order to drop Tools which are no "One Shot Actions"

as it is also the the case in InDesign. I tried to replace V for Picker with Escape but that brought be out of

the Dialog (canceled the Assignment-Process).

I failed to use Arrow Keys in Conjunction with any combination of Modifier-Keys in order to remap the ARRANGE-Commands

(The Bracket-Keys are very awkwardly placed on a German Keyboard and its again Shortcuts I'm used to for years).

My questions: Did somebody else run into comparable issues and has solved them (maybe though manually editing the

Text-File where Keyboard Shortcuts are saved)? I'd be glad for any hints on that matter!

• 1. Re: some IL CS5 custumization questions
          Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can assign any keyboard shortcut you want to any combination you choose. Cmd(Ctrl)-Shift-Opt(Alt)-K will open the keyboard shortcut panel You can change or modify any existing shortcut or assign new ones of your choosing. If you get a warning message just click OK to accept the new set. Just remember that if anyone else tries to use AI on your machine with the custom KBSC there may be problems.

• 2. Re: some IL CS5 custumization questions
            polyxo Level 1

Am 18.05.2010 20:30, schrieb Larry G. Schneider:

You can assign any keyboard shortcut you want to any combination you choose. Cmd(Ctrl)-Shift-Opt(Alt)-K will open the keyboard shortcut panel You can change or modify any existing shortcut or assign new ones of your choosing. If you get a warning message just click OK to accept the new set.

Thanks Larry,

that's what I assumed too actually - but it doesn't work in Practice.

Just try assigning "Escape" for  the Selection-Tool or any

Ctrl+Arrow-Key Combo.

Illustrator will not let you - I'm not talking of some "key is already

assigned"-warning here.

Instead the Program says " The key pressed cannot be used as a shortcut

symbol".

In the Case of "Escape" the Shortcut-Editor even closes.

• 3. Re: some IL CS5 custumization questions
              Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That probably because the OS will not let the key be used as a modifier key.

• 4. Re: some IL CS5 custumization questions
                polyxo Level 1

Am 18.05.2010 21:22, schrieb Larry G. Schneider:

That probably because the OS will not let the key be used as a modifier key.

No, this has nothing to do with the OS - I have these Keys assigned in several  other programs too.
                As noted in my first post even InDesign uses Escape for the Selection-Tool...

• 5. Re: some IL CS5 custumization questions
                  polyxo Level 1

May I conclude:

1) Keys which Illustrator prohibits to assign from within the Application can not be smuggled into in any other

way e.g. by altering the .kys file with a Text-Editor or a Plugin?

2) There are no ways whatsoever to customize the contents of the Main Tool-Panel.

Are these assumptions correct?

• 6. Re: some IL CS5 custumization questions
                    [scott] Level 6

1) Not that I know of

2) No.

Keys like the Escape key are used to exit isolation mode and other areas, they are integral tot eh core functionality of AI. Which is probably why you can't assign them.

• 7. Re: some IL CS5 custumization questions
                      polyxo Level 1

Am 19.05.2010 20:47, schrieb ScottWeichert:

1) Not that I know of

2) No.

Thanks Scott!

content -wise that 's not what I actually hoped for but this is is

at least a clear answer.

It frankly leaves me puzzled that a Software which clearly adresses

Professionals offers so little

customization-options!

I  had to think hard for another sophisticated piece of Software which

doesn't allow its default Toolbars to be altered...

In my personal example it would for instance be tools like the

Perspective-Grid which I'd like to get rid of.

I'm by no means saying that this is generally a useless tool - but I

won't need it.

If need be I'd always prefer to import Linework directly from 3D-programs...

Keys like the Escape key are used to exit isolation mode and other areas, they are integral tot eh core functionality of AI. Which is probably why you can't assign them.

Fwiw: I could  assign  the Escape-Key in the meantime wih a programable

keyboard - so it works in principle.