1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 28, 2006 8:51 PM by Newsgroup_User

Sub domains with broken links, and missing templates

dnaweb
      Is there a way besides using full url’s to get my subdomain to attach to my root directory template and images?
      My subdomain uses stylesheets, templates and images from the root.
      My links are broken, the template is missing and the stylesheets are awol.
        • 1. Re: Sub domains with broken links, and missing templates
          Level 7

> Is there a way besides using full url?s to get my subdomain to attach to my
          > root directory template and images?
          > My subdomain uses stylesheets, templates and images from the root.

Can't do it.
          Subdomains are totally different sites, and are best treated in dreamweaver
          by having their own Site Definition.

That will prevent the very possible problem of broken cross-linking, if your
          hosting setup puts subdomain files in a folder within your public site.
          If your hosting puts the subdomain folder in a private root folder, you
          shouldn't define a dw site to that private folder level anyway- a site
          should always be defined to the folder that contains the site's "homepage"
          index file.

You should use absolute urls to other subdomains in the same domain.
          When you update a template, and want the update to apply to a subdomain,
          change to that subdomain's Site Def, open the subdomain's template file, and
          repeat the edit (changing the path to an absolute one as needed, if it
          involves a path to something in the other subdomain.