3 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2010 3:41 PM by John Waller

What Formats Can I Input

Traveling Person

Is there a way to input other formats besides image formats, i.e. doc., pdf, etc, into a page using dreamweaver. It would be very convenient to set it up so others can input using one of the above formats.

• 1. Re: What Formats Can I Input
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What exactly do you mean by input?

DW is a HTML editor. So you enter text into it directly.

You link to any other formats such as .pdf, .doc etc.

Are you looking for a way for others to update content on a webpage without using DW?

• 2. Re: What Formats Can I Input
            Traveling Person Level 1

Yes, to your last statement about having others add content without having DW. When using DW, I can "insert" images but they have to be in an image format, jpeg, gif, etc. Most people are familiar with Word and it is very flexible about adding text & pictures, etc. I can' see a way to insert doc or pdf files into DW. The other alternate is to convert doc files to image files, but can't see a way to do that with Word.

• 3. Re: What Formats Can I Input
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

OK, I see.

Dreamweaver is not a word processor. It is a HTML editor and produces HTML code which works on the web.

The web recognizes html, jpg, gif and png.

Browsers cannot read proprietary formats such as .doc unless they're converted to HTML.

Browsers also cannot read PDFs unless converted to HTML.

You can link to any file type you like such as .doc, .pdf. But you cannot insert them into a web page to be read by visitors.

For others to co-author (or contribute content for) web pages, they need to convert their .doc files into web format using Word. Or just cut-and-paste the text.

Or use a Content Management System (CMS).

The most popular are currently browser-based.