Exit

Buttons inside ItemRenderers

New Here ,
May 18, 2010 May 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Working on my first Flex app and ran into a small problem:

I have a custom item renderer which I have buttons inside (actually Labels with click events). These are working fine but the problem happens when I want to add another click eventlistener to the whole item renderer itself, so when users click on the item it does something and when users click on the buttons (Labels) inside the item renderer it does something else. What I dont want happening is the item renderer event to trigger when I click on the Labels inside. Currently when I click on the Labels inside I get both events triggering (the click event on the Label, and the other on the item renderer) which makes sense, but I dont want want the item renderer click event to trigger when I click on the Labels, yet a click anywhere else on the item renderer will trigger the item renderer click event.

How can I solve this problem?

Appreciate your help on this..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 20, 2010 May 20, 2010

When you click on the Label/Button, the event is dispatched to the Label's registered event listeners, then the event bubbles to the parent components (i.e. the event dispatcher look at each parent from the Label if the click event is registered, which is the case for your item renderer).

You should stop the bubbling from being done in your Label's event listener, e.g. by using event.stopPropagation().

Bubbling is well described here: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/videotraining/xml/fiaw_v2_02.h

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
May 19, 2010 May 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this is more a bypass than anything, but how about an invisible object inside the item renderer that acts like an invisible background with the click event rather than the item renderer it's self? Just a quick thought to ger around the problem. I used to have to do this all the time in Flash to solve click through issues.  Regards, Peter Witham www.uibuzz.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I thought of that too. I could do that as a work-around I suppose. In Flash, I thought that if a button is overlapping another button, then just the button that is on top is triggered? Thought it would be the same in Flex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that in older versions of Flash it was an issue, but have not used CS4/5 enough to know if they fixed it. I switched RIA production from Flash to Flex around the CS4 time.

Another thought would be to capture the click event and see if the current target is the button inside the item renderer or the renderer it's self and deal with it via code in the method called maybe?

Regards,

Peter Witham

www.uibuzz.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2010 May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you click on the Label/Button, the event is dispatched to the Label's registered event listeners, then the event bubbles to the parent components (i.e. the event dispatcher look at each parent from the Label if the click event is registered, which is the case for your item renderer).

You should stop the bubbling from being done in your Label's event listener, e.g. by using event.stopPropagation().

Bubbling is well described here: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/videotraining/xml/fiaw_v2_02.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 20, 2010 May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup I like the bubbling technique, thanks for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2010 May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Julien,

that solved my problem. the video is a great explanation of how events work, still a bit hazy on the target and currentTarget but it'll come eventually..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2010 May 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A quick tip to remember:

• target is always the object which dispatched the event (i.e. which raised the event, e.g. the clicked Label)
  • currentTarget is always the object which listen to the event (i.e. the one on which the addEventListener (or their MXML equivalent) has been done)

From my experience:

• in about 90% of the cases, target is the same as currentTarget because we are in the targeting phase and the object listen to its own events (like your event listener on your Label)
  • in about 9% of the cases, we are in the bubbling phase (generally mouse and keyboard events) and target is not the same as currentTarget
  • in about 1% of the cases, we are in the capturing phase (typically for glass pane functionalities) and target is not the same as currentTarget

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines