6 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2010 11:12 PM by acmputr

building a new computer.. video card help?

saydaysago2008

im building a new system, planning to use after effects CS5 on it, and these are the specs.

Intel Core i7 930 2.8 GHz w/ 8mb cache

Asus P6T SE Motherboard

2 x 500GB Caviar Black 7200 RPM SATA HD (linked somehow.. raid, maybe? he said it's show up as one drive and be faster)

2 TB 5400 RPM Additional storage drive.

Patriot Extreme Performance Viper II Series DDR3 12GB (6 x 2GB)

GeForce GTS 250 512MB PCI-E w/ DVI, HDMI

and a 24" Samsung Display.

This has run me 2200, already a little over over my budget?

My question is, is it worth the upgrade to a 285 (or maybe a Quadro)? This'll cost probably 300-400 more dollars. How different will it really be with this Mercury Playback Engine?

• 1. Re: building a new computer.. video card help?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The Mercury playback engine has nothing whatsoever to do with After Effects. It is a Premiere Pro CS5 feature. (Actually, a set of features.)

After Effects doesn't use the fancier features of graphics cards. A stock GPU is fine for After Effects. Don't waste your money on something fancy.

Premiere Pro CS5 is a different story; it takes advantage of the CUDA technoology on some of the NVIDIA cards.

• 2. Re: building a new computer.. video card help?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

285s are in short supply (and thus excessively expensive), since they are only produced at low rates (NVidia of course wanting to push other models), but they would be a good choice. Don't go with the 250, it's just a rebranded 9xxx, which by this time is getting old. If you are not dependent on Mercury, you might save a lot of money by going with an ATI card....

Mylenium

• 3. Re: building a new computer.. video card help?
              saydaysago2008 Level 1

Well I am definitely using a lot of premiere pro, dynamic link, after effects, all that good stuff, at the same time. Does being able to take advantage of the mercury engine make for much shorter rendering times, when rendering an after effects comp in premiere?

• 4. Re: building a new computer.. video card help?
                saydaysago2008 Level 1

sounds like it's almost no rendering at all, from how great the adobe page makes it seem. so i think maybe a gtx 285 would be my best bet. the quadro 3800 is quite another price jump up from that (almost double!). What do you guys think?

• 5. Re: building a new computer.. video card help?
                  acmputr Level 1

If you build the PC and it has RAID you can use a RAID 0 (striping).  It

reads and writes faster but if one drive fails all is lost as each drive only contains half of

the data.  I run an ICor7 920 2.66 that boots from a Western Digital 10K hard drive and runs two 500 GB drives in a RAID 0 for data drive.  I didn't get the boost I expected from the RAID 0.  I run two monitors with a 512 MB NVidia 8400 video card running my editing screen and a 1 GB NVidia 9500 running my display monitor.  It works pretty well.  The CS5 x64 really made it better but if I have too many layered sequences I have to reduce the monitoring to 1/4 res.  I run Windows7 x64.

• 6. Re: building a new computer.. video card help?
                    saydaysago2008 Level 1

Yes, striping. That's exactly what it is. He explained about the 'if one drive fails all is lost' aspect and I still went for it, for speed purposes.

I'm just really hung up on this graphics card, but I think I'm gonna end up having to settle on the gtx 283. the 3800 is just too much more money.